Calling all Ibanez people, just replace or "upgrade"

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Greetings!

I am having several Ibanez JEMs and they are all now 10+ years or more so I need change pots and switches to new ones as they have started to squeak and scratch when moved/turned.

Should I just replace as per original parts or "upgrade" to different (better) switches and pots?

Anyone gone through this? Experience good or bad? Let me know
If upgraded (or changed from original), to what and why?

thanks

Now that CTS makes pots with a "metric" shaft, I'd definitely recommend replacing them. Otherwise you'd have to decide whether to ream the holes in order to fit the typical 3/8" shaft. Most pots will do the job once you find good ones. Consistent quality though in my experience with CTS over most "import" pots.

As long as the values are the same... if you like less friction pots they make those now, EVH, YJM have models. Or just the tried and true CTS.

Ibanez are made to be upgraded... They beg for it. Not that they aren't good stock/original.... Just that they're fun to customize.

If resale value is an issue then just try and look at the market, see if other similar years/models pull a premium for being stock/original and keep that in mind. Alternative there is only use drop in replacement parts and hang on to the originals in case you ever need to revert.

Two options
1: clean them
2: get a mad hatter system

There's 50-70 year old electric guitars that pots and switches still work fine

Two options
1: clean them
2: get a mad hatter system

There's 50-70 year old electric guitars that pots and switches still work fine

Yeah, I assume living in south China where humidity cranks up to 80, 90, 95% quite often doesn't help longevity of electronics ;)
but indeed, I am sure a good cleanup is needed too

Back
Top Bottom