Callibrating Expression Pedals?

tonyi

Inspired
The expression pedal running from the MFC-101 quit working so I am trying to recalibrate them. I am following the directions in the MFC manual on page 32. When I move the pedal to the heel it enters its own number which I cannot change. When I rock the pedal to the toe it enters a 003 and I cannot change it. I am following the directions to a "t" but this is confusing.

are you using a TRS cable to an XP port? if it suddenly quit working, try a different TRS cable.

are you using a TRS cable to an XP port? if it suddenly quit working, try a different TRS cable.

Tried a brand new TRS cable still in the package. No change. I tried changing to Pedal 3. Same problem. When you press enter and move the pedal from toe to heel it changes the min from 000 to 127 and you can't change it back. The max also reads 127.

I am using two AMT mini expression pedals. They were working fine one day and then they weren't. After changing the cable I kept trying over and over to calibrate pedal 1. Then out of the blue it calibrated after about 20 tries. However, no luck with pedal two. I played the XL+ using the calibrated pedal and it sounded fine for about 20 minutes and pedal 1 was working great. All of a sudden it started distorting then all the presets sound changed. They now sound like they are in a barrel with the effects loud and the amp sound low. I disconnected the pedals and turned the XL+ off and then on again but my presets are a disaster. Is there such a thing as a factory reset on the MFC?

I am using two AMT mini expression pedals. They were working fine one day and then they weren't. After changing the cable I kept trying over and over to calibrate pedal 1. Then out of the blue it calibrated after about 20 tries. However, no luck with pedal two. I played the XL+ using the calibrated pedal and it sounded fine for about 20 minutes and pedal 1 was working great. All of a sudden it started distorting then all the presets sound changed. They now sound like they are in a barrel with the effects loud and the amp sound low. I disconnected the pedals and turned the XL+ off and then on again but my presets are a disaster. Is there such a thing as a factory reset on the MFC?
i've never heard of the MFC changing presets permanently.

are you using headphones by chance?

i've never heard of the MFC changing presets permanently.

are you using headphones by chance?

No headphones. I tried disconnecting the MFC and tried running through Axe Edit on my laptop. My presets that I spent years tweaking are ruined. If I can't get it back to the point it was at I'm not starting over.

No headphones. I tried disconnecting the MFC and tried running through Axe Edit on my laptop. My presets that I spent years tweaking are ruined. If I can't get it back to the point it was at I'm not starting over.
have you ever done a backup with Fractal-Bot? if so you can reload them at any time.

again, i'm not sure that the MFC can change any settings on your Axe presets. something else is happening.

you can factory reset the MFC. the MFC owner's manual shows how, but you hold switch 1 or 11 on power up - i don't remember which, the manual will tell how.

sorry this is happening, but i'm pretty sure the MFC can't change your presets to make that happen. i'd contact support.fractalaudio.com

have you ever done a backup with Fractal-Bot? if so you can reload them at any time.

again, i'm not sure that the MFC can change any settings on your Axe presets. something else is happening.

you can factory reset the MFC. the MFC owner's manual shows how, but you hold switch 1 or 11 on power up - i don't remember which, the manual will tell how.

sorry this is happening, but i'm pretty sure the MFC can't change your presets to make that happen. i'd contact support.fractalaudio.com

Thanks for the replies. I got the preset problem figured out and fixed. I was panicked for a minute there. Doesn't fix my expression pedal 2 problem though. Maybe I should just keep trying like I did with pedal 1 and it will eventually work?

Most likely your presets are fine but since the pedals are not working the effects being controlled by them are making things sound funny.

Try disconnecting the MFC and then go into the Axe Fx and set External Controller Init Value to either 0% or 100% (depending on what they control) for each external controller.

Thanks for the replies. I got the preset problem figured out and fixed. I was panicked for a minute there. Doesn't fix my expression pedal 2 problem though. Maybe I should just keep trying like I did with pedal 1 and it will eventually work?
good. time to do a Backup with Fractal-Bot.

it's easy. just click the Receive Tab - the computer will be receiving files. then set the folder on the computer in step 2, then click Start and it will ask what you want to backup. 2 years worth of work should be backed up!

or if you prefer, you can manually back up each preset one by one in Axe Edit by using the Preset > Export menu.

Everything is backed up. I just tried running it through the laptop and not the MFC. It was working fine and then started distorting and then no sound. I turned it (the XL+) on and off several times and now I have no output.

Most likely your presets are fine but since the pedals are not working the effects being controlled by them are making things sound funny.

Try disconnecting the MFC and then go into the Axe Fx and set External Controller Init Value to either 0% or 100% (depending on what they control) for each external controller.

I went to the I/O knob and found External Controller 16 and 17 but I couldn't find any way to set a percentage? Earlier the output made a distorted rumble and volume went to zero where it now remains?

I went to the I/O knob and found External Controller 16 and 17 but I couldn't find any way to set a percentage? Earlier the output made a distorted rumble and volume went to zero where it now remains?
if you mean the I/O Menu, and the CTRL (Control) tab, those aren't percentages. they set the MIDI CC# that it will listen to. External Controller 1 is usually CC#16 by default.

i would contact support.fractalaudio.com at this point, and link them to this thread with a little explanation of what's happening.

Wrong part of the settings.

Here's the relevant manual page:

9C0F89BE-6769-4434-A4A4-89E8B6036CFF.jpeg

Don't rule out a problem with the pedal(s). You could always test this by connecting one directly to the Axe-Fx, calibrating it there, and then observing whether it works.

I once had issues with my expression pedals and the MFC Mk3 (calibration only). Long story short it was the latest firmware. If I recall correctly I had just updated the firmware to the latest revision which had an issue with my setup. Rolled back one firmware and everything was fine. So that would be 3.07. If all else fails and this fits your situation give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom