Call to arms: Where are all the Ultra/Std users?

I've been using my Ultra with the cab sims turned off going straight into my tube combo since day one. I love that my Axe gives me endless options and ended my buying of endless gear but maybe I'm just not that into cab sims or something because I think every last one of them on the Axe sounds like crap ;-) It took finding the perfect patch and then combining it with the perfect third party IR to find anything usable, for me. It's a good thing my tube combo was designed to sound flat-ish to accept pedals well without coloring them (it's a Visual Sound Workhorse Pony).

christ.. i keep posting stuff on the ultra/std site and no one ever answers :'(
i would love to find some djent tones but nobody seems to have time because its an old system that is no longer supported

And the great shame is that it's still a unit that's light years ahead of most other units on the market. I took it to a couple of auditions recently, and it blew the other guys Marshall half stack SG combination away. His sounds were buzzy, unfocussed, and didn't cut through at all. It was like a wash of static in the background. By contrast my Ultra cut through beautifully, without the top end taking everyone’s head off, and even my Marshall models sounded better than his amp. I'm sure that Marshalls don't really sound that bad, it was probably just his preferences on tone.

I'm not hankering after the AXE II. The Ultra does everything I need, and as I've said in previous posts the Ultra/Matrix/2 x EV12L combination have solved the Power V Weight equation for me, as well as the lead tone V headroom equation as well. Added to this are my concerns about the AXE II power supply, EPROM, and Data wheel reliability. The new AXE IIXL will cost nearly 3K over here. I’ll buy one in about 18 months on the used market. By that time I’m confident these hardware problems will have been solved or proved to be statistically irrelevant.

I read the posts on the AXE II forums and pity the poor guys obsessing over IRs, Ultra Res, FRFR, and the next firmware up date. I'm glad I'm out of that. I've done my tweaking; my sounds are near enough for me and my Gig Ultra is packed up in the garage ready to throw in the car. My backup Ultra is in my studio but I don't always turn it on; I do a lot of my daily maintenance practice on my unplugged ES-175.

Yeah, I posted something on the STD/Ultra forum too, and my expectations are low (why aren't we gen I users more active on the forums?)...

Incidentally, I'm looking for that elusive tone that I can't even describe (in my post on the Ultra forum, I refer to the lead tone in Robert Palmer's "Bad case of loving you", but it's a general purpose tone that I'd love to have in my tool box and NEVER was able to get on my Ultra)... if you can help, I'll be forever grateful!

People need to keep in mind that these forum (the Ultra/Std) were bustling years ago before the Axe-II was a twinkle in Cliff's eye, and every topic has been covered. Djent tones were one of the most frequently talked about topics. So, between it all being said already and the hard-core users moving on to Axe-IIs - and, of course, almost all new users skipping the Ultra all together to get an Axe-II - there's really not much reason for discussion concerning the Axe-Ultra/Std.

Trust me, there is s**t loads of threads for every topic, you just need to look around at old threads. If you want to bypass the digging and ask the same questions all over again you're going to have to expect deafening silence.

I've picked up my Ultra,3 weeks ago!! I'm still getting used to it's magic abilities!!

I'm here for exchanging opinions,experiences and knowlegde! :)

Still using my Ultra. I've been tempted by a II for some time now but funds aren't permitting at the moment, plus my Ultra still sounds great and I'm always happy with the tones I get out of it. I gig it regularly, direct to FOH and it never lets me down.

Ultra user here.

What happened to all of the old Ultra patches that were available? There used to be hundreds, but now I only see 37 on the AxeChange.

Is there an older version of that site with all of the old patches?

The AxeChange is a total POS for Axe-I users. They won't let anyone add to it unless the file is submitted by the person that originally created it - which, of course, will never ever happen (you can't even hyperlink to a download for patches). It makes zero sense since there's no copyright infringement, plagiarizing, or trademark infringement taking place. All that rule does is make it so, as I said, the AxeChange remains useless for anyone not willing to cough up the dough to get and Axe-II (which I'm sure is a good motivation to disallow it, just like burying Ultra/Standard pages under "legacy" tabs/links, like Fractal Audio has so many products that it can act like the Ultra/Standard are long gone, ancient products not worth remembering).

You have to simply use the User Preset Exchange sub-forum, set the forum view to "beginning" and start collecting. I have a folder with a good 20,000 files/folders collected over the years (I'm sure there are a few doubles in there).

The AxeChange is a total POS for Axe-I users. They won't let anyone add to it unless the file is submitted by the person that originally created it - which, of course, will never ever happen (you can't even hyperlink to a download for patches). It makes zero sense since there's no copyright infringement, plagiarizing, or trademark infringement taking place. All that rule does is make it so, as I said, the AxeChange remains useless for anyone not willing to cough up the dough to get and Axe-II (which I'm sure is a good motivation to disallow it, just like burying Ultra/Standard pages under "legacy" tabs/links, like Fractal Audio has so many products that it can act like the Ultra/Standard are long gone, ancient products not worth remembering).

You have to simply use the User Preset Exchange sub-forum, set the forum view to "beginning" and start collecting. I have a folder with a good 20,000 files/folders collected over the years (I'm sure there are a few doubles in there).

It would be nice to make a .rar file with all that stuff,there are Axe Fx Std/Ultra users who got their units recently and they didn't have the chance to get all those presets. ;)

It would be nice to make a .rar file with all that stuff,there are Axe Fx Std/Ultra users who got their units recently and they didn't have the chance to get all those presets. ;)

+100000000000

I was a Standard, then Ultra, then Axe II user...changed to Kemper, I like it more for the "raw amp" feeling, but got an Ultra for the effects and for some awesome tones too.

I used yo have a folder with looots of presets, but deleted them when I sold the Ultra, so would be great if any of you guys could make a rar or zip of all the presets you have and link em here.

Pro tip: pay attention to details in posters' signatures.

Thanks a lot Johnny!

But the page won't load.It's a database error.

A Database Error Occurred

Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings.

Filename: core/Loader.php

Line Number: 346

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom