Call me crazy, but I might buy another one.

Well, sort of.

I've owned the AxeIIImk2 for about 6 months now and obviously have fallen head over heels in love. When I initially started browsing this forum I'd see some players with the Axe rack unit and also an FM3. All I could think was "why?". Seemed so pointless and like a waste of a grand.

Welp, here I am considering buying an FM3 too. It's funny how we always pursue more and more convenience. Selling all of my heavy amps and giant pedal board for the AxeIII and a FRFR cab was an amazing relief. No more hauling 70lb amps up and down stairs! Now it's just a light speaker and a rack unit!

...Now I dread the thought of unplugging my Axe from my computer, FRFR, FC12, and monitors in order to travel with it. When unplugged, all of the cables somehow disappear into the abyss behind my desk. I have to put on a headlamp and spelunking gear to go cord-diving behind by desk to retrieve all the necessary cables. It's so inconvenient. I'm attending a small Thanksgiving get-together and I know some guitarists in the family would appreciate experiencing a Fractal product, but I'm dreading the thought of having to take a whole 6 minutes out of my afternoon to pack it all up.

So naturally the FM3 feels like the perfect solution for playing on-the-go or impromptu kitchen table sessions.

If that's crazy, then I should probably be in an asylum.

I bought a used Axe FX II XL in 2017, upgraded to the III in October 2018 and bought a second III in March 2019 - one for home use and one for the rehearsal room and gigging. The main reason I don't own an FM3 is because I the pandemic happened and I don't need a portable device when I'm at home all day every day (also, it was only available via waitlist in Europe until the FM9 was announced, so no impulse-buy potential). I'm still probably going to buy one next spring or next time G66 has a sale, because having a rig that fits in my gigbag is amazing and means I can show up to jam sessions on my bike. Besides that, I'm planning to upgrade both IIIs to the Mk2 turbo but have been putting it off because it would be a hassle to sell the old ones.
I still own the II and MFC-101 as well. It's on an extended loan to a friend since two years but I should probably sell it, buy a Mk2 turbo, and loan him a III Mk1 instead. On that note, my pre-Fractal rig (Triaxis + Engl 2x35w power amp) is in storage since 2018 and the corresponding cab (1960A) is only used as a stand for the case with the Axe FX. It's pretty decent as a stand though so I might keep it around for a while. Did I mention it's a hassle to sell this stuff?

So TL;DR you're not crazy, you were just slow to figure out that having more Fractal products is always better ;)

Perfectly normal and all good!
I have a III MK2 and waiting on the FM9. I use one for rehearsals and the other will be for gigs with one backing up the other. IT's an expensive backup but I'd rather have something that is close to my main MK2.

Not crazy at all….I am also in the insane club!

My AX3 stays permanently wired in my home studio rack. I use a FC6 with it sometimes. Just got the FM9 that replaced my FM3+FC6 setup and will be my main live rig. I decided to keep the FM3 as a backup for the FM9 and for the times I may only be playing bass or the odd grab and go gig. I will say that I’ve owned many Fractal products and have never been out of commission, but I felt it was wise to have a backup for my current group.

I guess I'm in the crazy camp as well owning the FM9 and Axe-Fx III.

I played out this week for the first time since getting the FM9 and it was great. The setup time was about the same since I don't have anything mounted to a board, but the load in / out was way more pleasant. The weight and size of the FM9 rig compared to my Axe-Fx III (in a heavy-duty rack case along with a power conditioner) / FC-6 (with two dual switches and 3 EV-1 mounted to a Temple Audio Duo 34 board) was so much easier to manage. I didn't have to use a utility cart to bring it all in one trip. The other luxury was that I was able to leave the Axe-Fx III rig setup at home. No time was spent disconnecting / re-connecting monitors, headphone amps, external preamps, power amps and the like. The FM9 sounded great and performed flawlessly as well.

Well, sort of.

I've owned the AxeIIImk2 for about 6 months now and obviously have fallen head over heels in love. When I initially started browsing this forum I'd see some players with the Axe rack unit and also an FM3. All I could think was "why?". Seemed so pointless and like a waste of a grand.

Welp, here I am considering buying an FM3 too. It's funny how we always pursue more and more convenience. Selling all of my heavy amps and giant pedal board for the AxeIII and a FRFR cab was an amazing relief. No more hauling 70lb amps up and down stairs! Now it's just a light speaker and a rack unit!

...Now I dread the thought of unplugging my Axe from my computer, FRFR, FC12, and monitors in order to travel with it. When unplugged, all of the cables somehow disappear into the abyss behind my desk. I have to put on a headlamp and spelunking gear to go cord-diving behind by desk to retrieve all the necessary cables. It's so inconvenient. I'm attending a small Thanksgiving get-together and I know some guitarists in the family would appreciate experiencing a Fractal product, but I'm dreading the thought of having to take a whole 6 minutes out of my afternoon to pack it all up.

So naturally the FM3 feels like the perfect solution for playing on-the-go or impromptu kitchen table sessions.

It is. Do it! :)

I bought a second FM3---and obviously not committed enough to even be responding
in the this thread. Besides, the more you plug in and unplug shit the greater the odds
that something goes wrong. ;)

I guess I'm in the crazy camp as well owning the FM9 and Axe-Fx III.

I played out this week for the first time since getting the FM9 and it was great. The setup time was about the same since I don't have anything mounted to a board, but the load in / out was way more pleasant. The weight and size of the FM9 rig compared to my Axe-Fx III (in a heavy-duty rack case along with a power conditioner) / FC-6 (with two dual switches and 3 EV-1 mounted to a Temple Audio Duo 34 board) was so much easier to manage. I didn't have to use a utility cart to bring it all in one trip. The other luxury was that I was able to leave the Axe-Fx III rig setup at home. No time was spent disconnecting / re-connecting monitors, headphone amps, external preamps, power amps and the like. The FM9 sounded great and performed flawlessly as well.

This may be a first, where a 34" pedalboard is considered "so much easier to manage." ;)

That makes sense. Probably my failed reading comprehension. :)

I do think an FM9 with an Exp pedal is gonna need close to a 34" board, too, no??

That's why I am sticking to the FM3. FM9 is great, but just too big of a footprint
for me when considering everything else I already have going on at my feet.

Back
Top Bottom