Caligula's Horse New album OUT NOW!

samvallen

Hi all,

My band Caligula's Horse have recently released our second album The Tide, the Thief & River's End.

Musically it's progressive metal, influenced by the likes of Devin Townsend, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Karnivool, Tool, Steve Vai, Steely Dan, and A Perfect Circle, amongst many others.

The majority of the album was tracked with Axe FX IIs and Ultras, both bass and guitar.

You can hear the album in its entirety on youtube at:
Caligula's Horse - The Tide, the Thief & River's End - YouTube

And you can download the album, or buy the CD at:

Bandcamp (worldwide): http://welkinrecords.bandcamp.com
iTunes (Australia and New Zealand only): https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/the-tide-the-thief-rivers-end/id716275241
Physical CD (worldwide): http://www.welkinrecords.bigcartel.com/
Or at your local JB hifi in Australia and New Zealand

Thanks for checking it out, I hope you enjoy it!

Production is great. Super spacious. The rhythm tones are a bit thin for my taste. They're very tight, but real thin. The lead, at least in the first one, is very interesting - very 'dry' sounding, which probably comes from cutting the highs a lot above 6k, and boosting around 3-4k.

Thanks Loquenau, glad you liked the production!

I wanted the rhythm to be mid heavy, but avoid the over-the-top thud thing that djent bands are doing.

The production in general was a move away from that sound. Nothing is over-compressed; the master is quiet with lots of room; and rather than a huge airy top-end, everything is natural, which evidently sounds far duller than most modern masters! My two cents is that if I'm going to listen to something for 50 minutes I'd rather it natural and not fatiguing to the ear. I don't think the lead tones are overly dry, but they're definitely not drenched!

Thanks Loquenau, glad you liked the production!

I wanted the rhythm to be mid heavy, but avoid the over-the-top thud thing that djent bands are doing.

Them mids are a bit high, though.

The production in general was a move away from that sound. Nothing is over-compressed; the master is quiet with lots of room; and rather than a huge airy top-end, everything is natural, which evidently sounds far duller than most modern masters! My two cents is that if I'm going to listen to something for 50 minutes I'd rather it natural and not fatiguing to the ear. I don't think the lead tones are overly dry, but they're definitely not drenched!

I can dig it. Nothin I'd change about it except the rhythm guitars. And by dry I meant lacking color. Frequency content. The effect level is fine. I'm actually in that ballpark myself becuase while I'd love more upper content, I don't want any fizz or even sizzle. I want it like smooth brass. Sacrifices.....

Azael: A bit of both. Rhythms were generally done with the II, or occasionally with real amps, but most of the lead stuff was done on my Ultra through a Mesa Simulclass 2:90 and an Engl VT Pro Cab.

I use the Cornford for solos, with the Tubescreamer block set to 0 drive. Rhythm is mostly the 5150 (or is it 6505 on the II? I forget...)

And Loquenau, definitely personal taste man. I wouldn't change them!

So I've now had this album on repeat for the last couple of days. I can not stop listening to it. I would venture to say that this is the best thing I've heard here and adding to that, the best thing I've heard in quite some time.

Wow. The number of amazing musicians on this board is really cool and....well.....pretty intimidating for a "regular guy" guitarist. I've been playing off and on 30 years but it may be a while before I'm posting any music on here!!

Thanks for the great music! Question: Moments from Ephemeral City is on emusic (through which I previously bought it). Any plans to sell this new album through there?

So glad you're all digging it :) Thanks for the extremely kind words everyone!

orpeus: at this stage the answer is a tentative no. Moments was independently released, whereas River's End is licensed to a record label in Australia. Basically it just makes it a bit more restrictive as to where exactly we can sell it. I will look into it for you though!

And ToneLabRat: don't worry man, I'm just a regular guy guitarist too!

Just came across this - GREAT work dude - love this sort of music! If you guys are ever playing Perth let me know - I'll be there and bring all the boys for sure!

Back
Top Bottom