Implemented Cali 76 Comp Pedal

I'm guessing there are already ways to get it in the Axe (though I have not a clue), I do agree it's a highly sought after pedal.

There are guesses at it ..... and Cliff had talked about it with a fella a while back before the new comps were released in the Axe III. Some say the new ones are suppose to be the Cali 76 type comp and have given "suggested" settings, but I still don't think they really sound/feel like the Cali. YMMV

I don't think any of them sound or feel like an 1176. It's the only circuit that can get that ridiculous pick attack and Axe's compressor attack doesn't go below 1mS. 1176 is 20 - 800 microseconds.
That said, I enjoy the compressors that exist now and don't have trouble getting other sounds, but a real 1176 is as screwy, distorted and inconsistent as a Marshall and imo deserves a full amp level model.
1176 is a big part of guitar sounds whether in front or back, from Little Feat to GNR, etc.

For what it's worth, this has been asked for many times (see threads here, here, here, etc.). I actually had the opportunity to talk with Matt about it in person over the summer. It would be an awesome addition, and I think many people would find many uses for it. That said, it seems like there are other priorities so it may be a while...

I can personally attest to how awesome the Cali76 pedals are. I have three - The Compact Bass is exceptional for any kind of bass (fretted, fretless, upright, synth, etc.), the Stacked version is incredible on guitars and acoustics, and I use the Compact Deluxe on just about everything else (vocals, drums, master/bus comp, etc.).

Last edited:
For what it's worth, this has been asked for many times (see threads here, here, here, etc.). I actually had the opportunity to talk with Matt about it in person over the summer. It would be an awesome addition, and I think many people would find many uses for it. That said, it seems like there are other priorities so it may be a while...

I can personally attest to how awesome the Cali76 pedals are. I have three - The Compact Bass is exceptional for any kind of bass (fretted, fretless, upright, synth, etc.), the Stacked version is incredible on guitars and acoustics, and I use the Compact Deluxe on just about everything else (vocals, drums, master/bus comp, etc.).
Can you use the compact deluxe on guitars?

Can you use the compact deluxe on guitars?
Yeah. Any version of the Cali76 will work on just about anything, it just depends what controls you want. The Compact Deluxe is the most flexible version with separate attack & release controls which is why I use it for more general things.

The Cali76 is an 1176 clone I believe, which is a FET compressor. I would try pairing a compressor with the FET boost/preamp block. The 1176 also has average attack times of 0.02-0.8 ms and release of 50-1200 ms, not sure how close the Cali76 is to a real 1176 and this is also all from research I don't own either, but might be worth a shot and see if you can get better results.

EDIT: Just opened Axe-FX and 1ms is the lowest attack time available, so not sure its possible 1176 are known for that fast "punchy" attack.

What about this one
API TranZformer GT Transformer / Compressor / EQ Pedal

its about $500 I wonder how it compares to the cali. Did anyone compare the cali with the JFET

Anyone currently have the Cali 76 to compare to the JFET Compressor added? Any?
The JFET Compressor model recently added to the Axe-Fx III definitely has a similar flavor to the Cali76 pedal(s). I wouldn't say it sounds the same, but I'm not sure the model was meant to be the Cali76 specifically anyway. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just a bit different. It certainly does the same job.

Back
Top Bottom