Cakewalk by BandLab is getting incredible

I really give up. The lack of logic and understanding is amazing.
I am wrong. You 3 or 4 are right. You are always right. As you seem to insist once again that you "know" there is a catch....
I'm done here.......

Many are sharing their own presets and CAB captures for free. Some even take the time and effort to create free tutorials on YouTube, or spend a lot of time helping others at this forum.

What is the catch and the allure? Probably the unparalleled satisfaction of being helpful and generous.

Now I am remembering that, several years ago at the unofficial Boss GT-Pro forum, one of the star contributors announced with sadness that his GT-Pro was stolen. The users of the forum organized a collect, and we managed to buy him a new GT-Pro.

The law of cause-and-effect (aka karma) works in unexpected ways. Sometimes with immediate effects, sometimes it may take lifetimes.

Last edited:
Bandlab (online) has been amazing for my band to collab and write *without sharing anything publicly. We don’t even use the browser daw except to download/upload stems. After using Dropbox and a few other ideas, bandlab just clicked. We only play once a week so it helps a lot to throw ideas up there and get feedback. I can also learn or create new parts in time for the next practice. Everything is organized and you can even just cycle through the songs and play them jukebox style (like if you’re driving and just want to get familiar). I still can’t believe it’s free. We don’t even look at what anybody else is doing on there, I just assumed it was all basement hiphop- not that there’s anything wrong with that.

not that there’s anything wrong with that.

wink.jpg

I’ve been using Calewalk since it was still called Calewalk Pro Audio. It’s the DAW I grew up on and the DAW I use today through all of its iterations. When Gibson killed it I was completely bummed but Bandlab has done an amazing job not only resurrecting it - and hiring the former CEO and all around DAW wizard Noel Borthwick - but have continued with some outstanding updates.

If you’ve never used it before give it a shot.

Just wanted to add 2 cents... probably not worth 1.

I was a cakewalk user in the 'old days'. when it was just a midi sequencer. I've had it on and off over the years. I write a lot in midi on the piano roll or staff... enter fl studio. I'm pretty much chained to it now as I know where everything is and it has the most comfy midi editing platform. That said... no sysx.
Enter bandlab... I got the latest version and was blown away...lots of great FREE vst instruments and fx come w it. Worth it just for that. I HOPE it goes paid at some point because it will add community confidence to what is shaping up to be spectacular.

afa sysx... fyi you can save your axe fx presets 'as is' and have them load 'automagically' upon opening a recording project. this was the main reason I wanted to get back to cakewalk/sonar. don't have to worry about "did I edit this preset after I recorded this project?" as the preset itself, as is, saved to sysex within the project. Not sure if other daws have their versions of this but I don't think so.

furthermore... cakewalk has some great features for loading setup templates. all that said... the midi editor just isn't a match for fl studio. Perhaps given time I would get used to it... but when inspiration strikes it's so fragile and spending 30 seconds trying to figure out how to do something is a killer.
long story short: cakewalk fanboy here. I'm going to continue "playing" with it from time to time in hopes of getting used to it.

I am all about midi, since the late 80's. Played for years with a Kawai Q-80, Alesis Drum machine, then Master Tracks Pro, then CW.
I think you would get used to it. But I do know what you mean about having to search for a feature. BTW, the piano roll has been improved immensely. It was something many of us asked for.

I am all about midi, since the late 80's. Played for years with a Kawai Q-80, Alesis Drum machine, then Master Tracks Pro, then CW.
I think you would get used to it. But I do know what you mean about having to search for a feature. BTW, the piano roll has been improved immensely. It was something many of us asked for.
"But I do know what you mean about having to search for a feature" just mean that I know where everything is in flstudio, but not cakewalk; because last time I was really into it, I was controlling my dm5 with "widgets"... which was a new feature at the time!

"But I do know what you mean about having to search for a feature" just mean that I know where everything is in flstudio, but not cakewalk; because last time I was really into it, I was controlling my dm5 with "widgets"... which was a new feature at the time!

I bought reaper years ago and again recently due to the demise of Sonar pending. Never happened. But I use reaper once a week at least just to get familiar with it and avoid the hunting for where a feature may be. They have (not sure if it was reaper or CW, but they implemented a way to open CW files in reaper. Pretty cool. Also another "safety net" so to speak.

reaper is a great prog... it has a redic amount of functionality. I've never really used it as a primary daw but used it to chop up individual drum samples and nothing else really has the precision or automatability for that.

Tried this out today, liked it. No catch that I can see so far, other than having to create the BandLab account to install it. I moved from Mac back to Windows, and the DAW situation is confusing AF on Windows. On Mac you basically have Ableton (if you're producer or need it on stage), Logic (if you want to record, which is what I mostly do with a DAW) and ProTools (if you have too much money). On Windows, there's no Logic, and all of the competition in that segment looks half-assed and ridiculously overpriced. In Cakewalk's defense at least it's definitely not overpriced. :)

Same as with any other tool. It’s a stand-alone program. It doesn’t upload anything to cloud as far as I can tell.

I too would be suspect...Let's say you create incredible tracks w/this tool. How are you intellectual rights protected?

You don't have to upload or share anything when using Cakewalk. It is standalone like any other DAW. Unless you use the online DAW App for sharing your contents (you can do it privately with selected collaborators, or openly for anyone to add new tracks). They can even promote your work for free

Cakewalk was totally killed in the hands of Gibson. It was a good thing that Meng Ru Kuok rescued it for good and offered it for free.
Gibson is killing Cakewalk and taking the money
Why did Gibson dump Cakewalk?

BandLab has acquired two British music magazines: NME and Uncut, and is the owner of 49% of the Rolling Stone Magazine

https://vulcanpost.com/589375/bandlab-what-you-need-to-know/

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2019/06/04/bandlab-nme-uncut/

More than one year has passed since this acquisition. They have not requested any payment from the users, and we are very happy with the program development. They are listening to the suggestions and implementing all that they can at the new releases. It is like the DAW version of the Fractal Audio firmware development.

Last edited:
Using Cakewalk since v6 or v7 I believe, originally got a lite version with my sandblaster card then purchased the full version upgraded every version up to the end, still use my Sonar X1 Producer and it still works great on my windows 10 pc, I tried Bandlab when it first came out and was not impressed, but maybe I'll take a second look, if your looking for something free https://www.audacityteam.org/ is suppose to be a good platform though I have not tried it. I also use Logic Pro just did the upgrade but I'm just not liking Apple PC's, graphics on apple just suck...

Back
Top Bottom