Cage Match: PRS vs Suhr

If the thorn keeps you up, put a deposit down to hold it and start saving!
The struggle is real. My practical side is c*ck blocking me. Having a hard time justifying having two high end superstrats that pretty much cover the same ground. If money were no object, hence me practical side. What I'd be happy with is a $1-2K guitar that even has fixed bridge. Great tone and covers heavier/downtuning stuff. I'd be interested in a PRS with a satin neck so will wait to see if any stores bring in a CE24 perhaps

Last edited:
The struggle is real. My practical side is c*ck blocking me. Having a hard time justifying having two high end superstrats that pretty much cover the same ground. If money were no object, hence me practical side. What I'd be happy with is a $1-2K guitar that even has fixed bridge. Great tone and covers heavier/downtuning stuff. I'd be interested in a PRS with a satin neck so will wait to see if any stores bring in a CE24 perhaps

A used CE24, OG or RI is a safe bet and $1600.

Yes, on the new incarnation of the CE, 2016(?) to present. 'Core' models through 2008('09?) have the same hardware as the USA set neck models.
You mean the S2models that also have Korean hardware? SE , CE and S2 all have the same stuff on. The Standard USA models have much better hardware and electrics.

My understanding is that the new CE24's have the same American made pickups and switches as the core line; bridge and tuners Korean made

That's my understanding too, @JoKeR III .

If you go the CE24 route, and if you want to upgrade the Korean bridge - go to http://www.mannmadeusa.com/ I got a bridge from them when I upgraded one of my old CE24's. John Mann apparently worked with Paul Smith on the original PRS Bridge. The one I got was all 1 piece (nickel?) bridge, whereas the CE24 I had had a 2 piece nickel/brass tone block that had softer attack and lacked just a touch of clarity (some may like that). I much preferred the MannMade bridge, and I assume it'd be an upgrade on the Korean Bridge as well.

As for tuners - I personally wouldn't bother changing them unless you have tuning issues.

Hey @Chewie5150 l&m has a guthrie govan sig on gear hunter for $3200, might whet your whistle ;)
you summmbitch! sweet find man. damn you for dangling this in front of me. Just checking it out now. wow that's a great deal. Thanks for sharing, I'd def consider this as well esp at its price point. I found my American Performer strat on Gear Hunter. Lot of good deals there from time to time

you summmbitch! sweet find man. damn you for dangling this in front of me. Just checking it out now. wow that's a great deal. Thanks for sharing, I'd def consider this as well esp at its price point. I found my American Performer strat on Gear Hunter. Lot of good deals there from time to time

Deals are frequent depending on what it is you want, haha.

Edit: buy the govan, sell it for the thorn if you dont dig it. Probs go quick here or on reverb.

That's my understanding too, @JoKeR III .

If you go the CE24 route, and if you want to upgrade the Korean bridge - go to http://www.mannmadeusa.com/ I got a bridge from them when I upgraded one of my old CE24's. John Mann apparently worked with Paul Smith on the original PRS Bridge. The one I got was all 1 piece (nickel?) bridge, whereas the CE24 I had had a 2 piece nickel/brass tone block that had softer attack and lacked just a touch of clarity (some may like that). I much preferred the MannMade bridge, and I assume it'd be an upgrade on the Korean Bridge as well.

As for tuners - I personally wouldn't bother changing them unless you have tuning issues.
There's a high probability I'm going to get a new CE24. Are the Korean bridges garbage or is it a minor upgrade would you say? I wouldn't upgrade anything right away until I play it for sometime to see if and what bothers me. Were these mannmadeusa bridges pretty much a drop in replacement? sounds interesting. Will do some more reading up on it

There's a high probability I'm going to get a new CE24. Are the Korean bridges garbage or is it a minor upgrade would you say? I wouldn't upgrade anything right away until I play it for sometime to see if and what bothers me. Were these mannmadeusa bridges pretty much a drop in replacement? sounds interesting. Will do some more reading up on it
Can't speak on the Korean bridge quality since the CE24s I had were the older American made ones before they were discontinued. But I found the Mannmade bridge to be equivalent if not a slight upgrade due to increased sustain from a 1 piece bridge vs the factory 2 piece. In terms of tuning stability, etc, it was equivalent. Yes it was a drop in replacement.

You'd have to ask someone with Korean Ce24 bridge experience if they thought it needs improvement.

Can't speak on the Korean bridge quality since the CE24s I had were the older American made ones before they were discontinued. But I found the Mannmade bridge to be equivalent if not a slight upgrade due to increased sustain from a 1 piece bridge vs the factory 2 piece. In terms of tuning stability, etc, it was equivalent. Yes it was a drop in replacement.

You'd have to ask someone with Korean Ce24 bridge experience if they thought it needs improvement.
Another way to say this is if you want to upgrade the Korean bridge to American equivalent, you can do that with Mannmade

I've been watching loads of vids on CE24's and I see they seem a bit underrated among hardcore PRS fans. What draws me are 2 things: unfinished neck. bolt on neck. I'm just waiting for one to come to the local shop as its been on order and i have a credit at this shop so I have my name on it. Pretty excited. Hopefully it all plans out. This has been a helpful thread so appreciate all the comments and advice

I've only played a couple of PRS' SEs with the import tremolo and there is a difference between them and the USA 'Core' tremolo. The feel is the major thing that I noticed compared to the Core CEs I've had, the import was much softer, felt less stable or 'loose'. I can't really speak to tuning stability as I didn't spend a bunch of time with the SEs.

I absolutely love the way all of the CEs I've had played, currently have a CE24 tuner series in Blazing Copper, and agree with the maple neck sentiment. I would personally look for a core CE on the used market unless you absolutely want a brand new guitar.

New not used? Probably months imo.
new. so this local shop I have a credit with had already placed a large order some time ago. It so happens they ordered the very one I would have chosen anyhow. I'm not holding my breath. Worst case is its a few months, nbd. anything less than that will be pleasant surprise. Worst Worst case is i don't bond with it but i highly doubt it. Maple neck is for me and based on the specs I think should be an amazing guitar.

I wont giveup on a suhr though. but a high end suhr wont be in the near future. This will def hold me over until then.

Back
Top Bottom