Cage Match: PRS vs Suhr

I own both Suhr Moderns and PRS cu24's and honestly imo you cant go wrong with either, yes the Suhr will have a different radius a compound mine are 10-14" that can be set up a little lower than the PRS's straight 10" but honestly they both set up really nice and I can play any of them quite comfortably. And as others have said no matter which one you end up going with it will be a great guitar.

I had a Suhr Modern Bengal with the Gotoh floyd. It was a beautiful looking guitar however, It was also the most disappointing guitar purchase ever as it had to be sent back for a major defect. The shop was great and agreed on the issue and returned it to Suhr. I've tried some others which were nice but I am not a fan of their necks in general. They are really nice guitars...I just got unlucky.

I have a couple of new PRS guitars that I recently got after selling off my small collection to a collector with very deep pockets. I have an amazing Custom 24 Floyd which is my dream machine. My other is a DW CE 24 which is also outstanding. These things are just so beautiful to play and super comfortable.

Might depend on your playing style on which is best.

Suhr shred guitar with jumbo frets and a gotoh

Or a Paul's guitar

Both nice guitars but you wouldn't necessarily like one or the other if your playing style doesn't fit that guitar.... for example.

Suhr Modern.

I just can't do the crazy PRS finishes and birds. No knock on the guitars, as from my experience they tend to be perfectly made. Nor the people that love them. They just really don't do it for me.

I may eat my words on that someday, but even in a state of perpetual GAS, I never look at them.

I really just need to get to the guitar shop and try a few of each.
This is the way. Both are reputed to be top shelf instruments. I’ve never owned a Suhr, but I see a lot of players love them. I was a Gibson guy for the longest, then played modded Strats for a while. Went the Carvin/Kiesel route as well. Loved those and still have several. Then I tried PRS and they fit my playing. It didn’t make any of the others less good, they simply suited me better. For the last dozen years or so, that’s what I’ve gigged most, by far.

I‘m sure you’ll know when you get them in your hands. Who knows? You may even opt for something else! Either way, if it’s right for you, it’s right.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. If you can, play before purchasing. The scale length is going to make the most substantial differences in feel and tone. The shorter scale length will give you a warmer tone with easier bends. The longer scale length will be a little stiffer feeling but will have tighter bass, and more note definition. Both are great.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. If you can, play before purchasing. The scale length is going to make the most substantial differences in feel and tone. The shorter scale length will give you a warmer tone with easier bends. The longer scale length will be a little stiffer feeling but will have tighter bass, and more note definition. Both are great.
Agreed. You have to be able to try them in hand and play them for a couple hours.

I cut my teeth on several Gibson LP Customs in the 80s, plus some earlier 345 and 335 guitars, a real ‘63 Strat, then some homemade Strats. I got tired of the Gibson weight and balance and the way it hurt my neck and shoulder, and looked into a PRS DGT, loved and bought it, bought another, bought an SC245, then an older Studio and most recently a 509. I’m 6’1” with long fingers and find PRS necks extremely comfortable. The quality is great, they’re stable, and, in spite of the pretty wood and finishes, are real workhorses. Yeah, the 10-tops are pretty and if you can find one you like for a good used price then jump on it, otherwise get a regular quality and play the hell out of it.

This is one of my favorite videos because it shows how responsive the guitars are. Every one of mine will sing like this...

Suhr Modern.

I just can't do the crazy PRS finishes and birds. No knock on the guitars, as from my experience they tend to be perfectly made. Nor the people that love them. They just really don't do it for me.

I may eat my words on that someday, but even in a state of perpetual GAS, I never look at them.

Sounds like you're a candidate for any of the solid finishes and dot inlays then ;).

Suhr Modern.

I live in Baltimore so the Guitar Centers are loaded with PRS's, but I've never been able to bond with them either, even though I want to. Home town pride and all that. I've never even seen a Suhr much less played one, but I've always gassed for Mark Knopfler's after watching On The Night.

I've read the DGT is a super versatile guitar
I think so. David Grissom's videos show what it can do, and he talks about the guitar and its development in several. It'll definitely sound like an old Les Paul, as the pickups are voiced to sound like some PAFs Grissom had in his 335. It's got big frets and comes stock with 11's so it's got some grind and growl to it; The video I linked above is a good example of how he likes it to sound, starting at 3:39. Tim Pierce's interview with him goes into the history of its development.

Last edited:
Owned all of the majors over the years since '78. Discovered Suhr in 2012 and now have several Moderns as they are my personal grail. Keep in mind 16" is not as common, as most are 10-14". Also, the typical stock width is 1.650 which might be tight for bigger hands.

Good luck and looking forward to some NGD pics 👍

I have a handful of PRS and a Suhr (about to buy a second Suhr). Both are excellent companies that do different things exceptionally well. These are my two favorite companies and would be hesitant to recommend one over the other. Cant go wrong either way.

Back
Top Bottom