• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Cabs and IR's for Low Volume

jw3571

Inspired
Are there certain cabs or IR's that are better for low volume playing? Maybe some that are brighter than others, most of my patches seem dark.

addedc

Experienced
I think the majority of people on this forum set up their presets to play live at gigs. Presets sound a lot different at gig volume than bedroom volume, everything is enhanced at volume -- drive, bass, treble, delay, etc -- so they sound bland at bedroom volume.

Could be a market for a new preset pack? Or just set up your own by turning up the drive, bass, treble whatever until it sounds good.

Habuman

Inspired
Are these your own presets, downloaded from forum, or bought?

I always like to use a reference preset (that I know sounds great both live and at home) when making/using new presets.

Rex

Legend!
I think you're better off dialing in the tone for bedroom level. If you change the IR, you change the character of the tone, including all kinds of midrange stuff that is the heart of the tone.

I use the oval cab in quiet setting (at home).
Works for me. Kinda like listening thru an old car radio!
Rule of thumb for me regarding real tube amps: small room, use a small amp > read as Fender "Champ", to "Princeton" in a little bigger room. Save the huge stuff for large halls and stadiums.
I wish more players, in small clubs, would follow this advice. Easier to get nice overdrive/tone quietly.
Check out where Jeff Beck gets his tone! Usually a small amp into larger amps. Worth a look.
Loud in a small club is just obnoxious... deafness or using earplugs, just stupid, IMO.

Last edited:

catscanman82

Inspired
Check out Leon Todd (RAGDOLL) presets here on forum. They are excellent presets and sound great at low or reasonable volumes for home playing.

Top Bottom