Cables?

Expensive or Economy cables

• Total voters

gigawatt

Experienced
Hello everyone… I was just figuring out what cables I'd need for my rack, interface, and studio monitors and was doing the math and came up with $180! I could probably do it for 1/4 that if I used economy cables.

What are your thoughts on economy vs expensive? I'm sure some of you look at $180 and would call that economy. I haven't done the math for Mogami or Monster cables but I bet it's way more than $180. I've bought cheap angle plug cables from Guitar Center (the ones with the blue heat shrink tubing on the ends) and never had any issues with them. However now that I'm doing the studio thing I am concerned about noise.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks

The most important part is quality of the solder points. Use Hosa or similar. You’ll be fine.

Hmmm.... I agree the soldering is important however I suggest the cable quality (flexibility, durability, microphonics, capacitance, & Resistance) are also up there.
Thanks
Pauly

Look into George Ls cables. No soldering required, and will cost you much less to buy bulk cable and connectors than premade cables.

Great quality, low capacitance. Bonus: make them any length you need.

I wouldn’t get the cheapest thing possible but unlikely you’d notice any difference when it comes to just hooking up monitors etc

I like a good cable from the guitar to Axe but otherwise it doesn’t matter all that much. Usb for example is all or nothing, there is no tone magic in high end USB no matter what the marketing says lol

Wow thanks for all the responses! I forgot to mention the cables I'm looking at are by Ploynk… (thats a funny word; ploynk, like ladle…ladle ladle ladle… sorry, ahem. Hosa cables would be much cheaper but I've had problems with their midi cables falling apart.

At some point i switched over to a good cable. I did noiced better sound quality when i did. You pay what you get for.

If you learn to solder and take your time you can make your own and save a lot of money. It just costs you time.

I buy bulk low-capacitance cable and good quality tips and make my own. Apart from the cost advantage, I can make my cables all the exact right length for everything. And if I need a new one or a specific size and can make it in 10 minutes.

Ok it seems like we all agree, quality cables it is. I found this brand searching eBay and contacted them about a configuration I could't find. They responded back within a couple hours and said to visit there web site and try their cable builder, seen here: http://www.ploynk.com

It's really cool an they have every connector option you can think of, including economy to expensive. They also have 9 different colors to choose from, including the effervescent "Sea Foam Green."

Check it out, it's fun, and let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom