Cables recommendation

Kidfixer

I'm tossing out my old rack unit and starting from scratch with the AFX3. Which cables will I need to fully enjoy my new toy, which brands are recommended and what lengths?? Someone in another thread mentioned needing a dual XLR to single TRS adapter for playing through a Mission Engineering Gemini 2. Tthe AFX unit will be housed in a 4u rack (either on top of the speaker or close by) and my interface for Axe Edit is an iPad Pro Gen 3 (using FracPad)...unless I nwe’d to invest in a proper MacBook or laptop?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Dave

Last edited:
my interface for Axe Edit is an iPad Pro Gen 3...unless I ned to invest in a proper MacBook or laptop?
Axe-Edit is Mac/Windows only, so you'll need to get one of those if you want to run it. The good news is that even a $150 tablet or laptop from amazon can easily run Axe-Edit.

Which cables will I need to fully enjoy my new toy
Just 2 XLR cables for stereo audio from the Axe-FX III's Output 1 to the Mission L/R inputs.

which brands are recommended
Doesn't matter as far as audio quality goes. Cable Matters is available on Amazon and has a lifetime warranty. Not as durable as more expensive brands but I'm assuming this is for home use so durability isn't as crucial as something that's getting wrapped and patched every night.

what lengths?
Also doesn't matter for low impedance balanced audio, but get longer than you think you need in case you decide to move the gear around, get studio monitors, etc.

I made my own 1/4 inch TS cables with Redco audio cables and Neutrik ends and they’ve worked well. If you already have some cables with the old rack, you can always try those first. If it’s an older but well maintained cable, it’ll work and be trustworthy for years. Actually just had to replace my main cable after 14 years of use because I took care of it.

In regards to Axe Edit, you will need a Mac or PC to run the editor. There is FracPad for the iPads, but I haven’t tried that. I am in the camp waiting for Apple to merge the iPad Pros into the MacOS category hopefully in the future so that I can run Axe Edit on my iPad.

But to reiterate what was said above, you should just need the two XLR’s for connecting to the Gemini and then a 1/4 inch TS instrument cable for your guitar!

Enjoy your new Axe Fx!

Yeah BTPA cables are great quality. Made in 'MERICA!

merica1.0.1467742946.jpg

Just 2 XLR cables for stereo audio from the Axe-FX III's Output 1 to the Mission L/R inputs.
I thought the Gemini 2 did not have dual XLR inputs for some reason. Checking their site, that is sort of correct - there's multiple XLR inputs but not how you might think:

I/O
Input 1 – Combo XLR-1/4″ TRS jack line input (mono or stereo)
Input 2 – Combo XLR-1/4″ TS jack instrument input
Input 3 – USB Type B
Output 1 – Outputs to second Gemini 2 for extended stereo configuration

This is why you need an adapter cable for stereo... You need to feed two inputs into a single jack.

I thought the Gemini 2 did not have dual XLR inputs for some reason. Checking their site, that is sort of correct - there's multiple XLR inputs but not how you might think:

This is why you need an adapter cable for stereo... You need to feed two inputs into a single jack.
And it wouldn't be true stereo correct? I have one and just ordered an adapter, but am curious how it all works.

But you can get BTPA cables in purple!
But I didn't, decided on boring black, goes with everything :)

Just ordered 2 18' angled-to-silent hi-def cables to replace my disintegrating tweed jacket Fender one. I bet that's been cutting highs too.

Don't understand BTPA's pricing though, and it was a lot more than I expected. It said to enter the length, I did, and it told me about $33 each. But when I went to check out, they were $57.47 each, plus shipping (and tax of course). Still not terrible, and I want them to sound good and last, so I'm more or less ok with it. But still.

Why not? It's a stereo connection if set up properly. The Gemini is a stereo cab.
I was asking a question, not making a statement. If I have 2 going into 1, that doesn't suggest stereo to me, so I was looking for clarification. My teacher suggested it wasn't based on Sweetwater's description, but I think he was looking at the 1x12, not the 2x12 which I own.

I was asking a question, not making a statement. If I have 2 going into 1, that doesn't suggest stereo to me, so I was looking for clarification. My teacher suggested it wasn't based on Sweetwater's description, but I think he was looking at the 1x12, not the 2x12 which I own.
You have 2 cables going into a stereo jack.

You use a Y cable that takes 2 mono inputs and combines them into a stereo output.

Back
Top Bottom