Cable Management Chaos

GotMetalBoy

Power User
How do you manage all your audio, PC and power cables?

I have so many cables behind my desk between audio, PC and power cables that it makes it difficult to keep power cables away from audio cables to prevent noise. They look horrible. I'm always nervous that it's a fire hazard having so many power cables plugged into daisy chained power strips.

I have 2 outlets behind my desk and 8 total outlets (2 on each wall) in my music room that all go to the same 20amp circuit breaker. Only my music room is on that 20amp circuit breaker. I use a P4400 Kill A Watt ( http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html ) to measure the watts and amps and it never gets above 1000 watts or 9amps.

Here's a list of power connections:

Behind My Desk Power Connections: Total = 24
* PC Tower
* Laptop
* 4x LCD Monitors 2x 24" and 2x 40"
* 6x powered speakers
* Powered Sub
* Monitor Speaker Selector
* Audio MIDI Interface
* Control Surface
* 61 Key MIDI Keyboard Controller
* Axe-Fx II
* Axe-Fx III
* FAMC LF+ MFC
* 4x External Hard Drives

Power Connections To Other Outlets In The Room: Total = 6
* Fiber Optic Modem
* Wifi Router
* All In One Printer
* Electronic drum kit
* Wireless Security Camera hub
* Cell Phone and Wireless Security Camera Charger

Here's a picture of my desk
2018-12-22 22.51.14.jpg

This is a problem I’m still seeking a solution for. I use cable ties. I use a label maker to label both sides of the cable. I used to and might again color code them. But there are some people who are amazing at wrapping the cables nice and neat, where they’re folded and tucked in. No excess. I’ve thought about a few PVC pipes where categories of cables are collected. I have five audio interfaces connected with 34, up to 42 analog I/O. Most are connected to other rooms (I have a recording studio) through panels with DB25 cables, which helps. But still it’s a snake pit back there!

Last edited:
If looking for power strips I like these, they are 15 amps. I have one in each rack that runs into a Furman P-1800 AR. Only thing I don't like is the power cable on Tripp Lite units is 15'... lot of unnecessary weight and will probably end up shortening them to like 6'.

I use this tape to color code my life, stays in place but easy to remove if need to change things up. Each band member gets a color and this applies to their racks, mics, iems, etc. If there is ever an issue makes it easy singer=white, gtr1=res, gtr2=yellow, bass=green, drums=blue.

Cables get colors as well, enough tape colors for unique combinations. Cabels are grouped in plastic looms... they are alright but would look for something else when have to redo them in the future.

Seeing this written out think I have an OCD issue

Good luck!

Last edited:
I think what I may eventually do is measure the exact length of cables I need and buy them to order, when they go behind my "console." I have a bad back though and try to limit the time I go back there to once or twice a YEAR! I can dream. But that would eliminate the excess cables.

If looking for power strips I like these, they are 15 amps. I have one in each rack that runs into a Furman P-1800 AR. Only thing I don't like is the power cable on Tripp Lite units is 15'... lot of unnecessary weight and will probably end up shortening them to like 6'.

I use this tape to color code my life, stays in place but easy to remove if need to change things up. Each band member gets a color and this applies to their racks, mics, iems, etc. If there is ever an issue makes it easy singer=white, gtr1=res, gtr2=yellow, bass=green, drums=blue.

Cables get colors as well, enough tape colors for unique combinations. Cabels are grouped in plastic looms... they are alright but would look for something else when have to redo them in the future.

Seeing this written out think I have an OCD issue

Good luck!

I definitely have OCD issues. I use a few Tripp Lite TLP76MSG ( Amazon product ASIN B0068LACFI )Power strips because they have 6 Individually Switch Controlled Outlets, so I can power off devices that don't have power buttons like external hard drives.

I've been thinking about buying the stuff below for cable management
* Labels: Amazon product ASIN B07D8SJ9K8* Cable Sleeves: Amazon product ASIN B01N2OMZBE

How do you manage all your audio, PC and power cables?
Power: I wire up the house with plenty of wall sockets connected to the ring main. If I need more then I use 4 way distribution boards.

Everything else: I push them out of sight, and only mess with them if there’s a problem. The exception is cables which catch my feet. Here I use Velcro strips to hold them together, maybe stuck to the underside of my desk. The problem with cable ties is that you have to cut and throw them away every time you change something.

Power: I wire up the house with plenty of wall sockets connected to the ring main. If I need more then I use 4 way distribution boards.

Everything else: I push them out of sight, and only mess with them if there’s a problem. The exception is cables which catch my feet. Here I use Velcro strips to hold them together, maybe stuck to the underside of my desk. The problem with cable ties is that you have to cut and throw them away every time you change something.

What are 4 way distribution boards?

I use Velcro ( Hook and Loop ) cable ties, so I don't have to cut them. I buy a big roll of Velcro and cut to size the cable ties.

Back
Top Bottom