Cable for Atomic CLR (or equivalent) to Axe FX II - Neutrik Speakon?

jamn4jc

Experienced
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. Most of my playing time has been with stompboxes and amplifiers only in small places (my amp was the PA). Just recently, I have started playing in situations where PA systems are used and recently took the plunge in to Axe ownership (best Christmas gift ever).

What type of cable is best for connecting an active FRFR speaker (e.g. Atomic CLR Cab) to the Axe? I was watching Jay Mithcell's "CLR Introduction" video on YouTube and he mentioned a "Neutrik Speakon" connector to the CLR (at 00:50). Before today, I had never heard of such a thing (I had to replay the bit several times to understand what he was saying).

What about the Axe FX end of the cable? Is that XLR or Speakon as well?

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a couple of "microphone" cables with XLR connectors on both ends and was planning to use one of those. Now, it seems that I want a better connector on at least one end of the cable. Plus, I am starting to learn that there is better quality cable than "mic" cable that is meant to feed signal to the amp(s)? Sounds like my "mic" cables are not going to cut it.

Any help appreciated.

Passive CLR is the one with the speakon connector. That is for a speaker level signal from a power amp to the passive CLR.

The powered CLR's use combo jacks for line level inputs.

I would just use the XLR to XLR cables you already have if you are using the powered CLR.

Hi jamn

It Is not a dumb question at all.
You'll be fine with the XLR as the input connector at the Atomic CLR takes 1/4" and XLR.
Cheers

Not a dumb question, people go to school to learn this stuff. If you are using active FRFR speakers, they should have XLR inputs for the signal. That is the cable you want to use for sure, because it is balanced.
Should be a male on one end and a female on the other. Not all cables are created equal...AT ALL. Good cabling is worth it's weight in gold when you are dealing with noise issues and RF interference. Keep them as short as possible and keep the signal out of the Axe hot and things will be lovely.

Passive CLR is the one with the speakon connector. That is for a speaker level signal from a power amp to the passive CLR.

The powered CLR's use combo jacks for line level inputs.

I would just use the XLR to XLR cables you already have if you are using the powered CLR.

Awesome... thanks! Makes sense. I don't have the CLR, yet. It's supposed to arrive this week. Really looking forward to unleashing everything that the Axe has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom