CabLabs - I don't Get It

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic

I just bought the OW Fractal pack 3 and CabLab. I don't get it. Bone head here. First time I installed it the installation failed. I tried it again and it worked. But every time I try to send something to the scratchpad it fails. Does this work on a Mac? 10.7.5?

Do I really have to manually type in the name of the IR I want to send? Isn't there a way to click on the name and have it transfer to the black area where the name of the IR is supposed to be? It'd be easier to just grab a bunch of IRs and put them in user slots and audition that way, no? What am I missing?

I'm connected successfully to the Axe Fx II, or so CabLab indicates.

Work priorities = I haven't had time to get Pack 3 and audition the UR IRs Henry - but I believe that there are a few threads up now that will guide you through the auditioning process efficiently with the current tools available. :encouragement:

Do I really have to manually type in the name of the IR I want to send? Isn't there a way to click on the name and have it transfer to the black area where the name of the IR is supposed to be? It'd be easier to just grab a bunch of IRs and put them in user slots and audition that way, no? What am I missing?

The primary purpose of Cab Lab is not to send an unmodified IR to the AF2. If you just want to do that, use Axe Edit -> Tools -> Axe Manage for Cabs. You can drag and drop a bunch of IR’s where you want them. Much easier.

The purpose of Cab Lab is to combine up to 8 IR’s to create your own. For instance, I’ve created a G12M/G12H IR by mixing a G12M and G12H IR from the Ownhammer collection and it sounds great, emulating a mixed Cab with different speakers.

And also, as a few have pointed out already. Cab Lab doesn’t currently support the Ultra Res IR’s in Cab Pack 3, an update is supposed to be out within the next week or so which will enable us to mix Ultra Res IR’s with Cab Lab again.

Forgive me for being stupid again but by combining IRs don't you run the risk of running into phase issues?

My understanding is the IR's are processed such that any phase issues (comb filtering effects) you do get when you combine IR's are intentional.

E.g. an off-axis SM57 has comb filtering effects, but those might be desirable for the overall mix to help the track cut.

In the same way, an IR mix might introduce comb filtering, and that might be the sound you want.

Yeah, but when you combine multiple IRs you would get a lot of comb filtering and phase issues, wouldn't you? I mean it MIGHT be the sound you want but if it's not you're stuck. Am I missing something? It sounds like CL is a basic wave editor. It won't alter the phase or various wave peaks and valleys crashing into one another.

Yeah, but when you combine multiple IRs you would get a lot of comb filtering and phase issues, wouldn't you? I mean it MIGHT be the sound you want but if it's not you're stuck. Am I missing something? It sounds like CL is a basic wave editor. It won't alter the phase or various wave peaks and valleys crashing into one another.

The IR's are not audio files. They are the input to a convolution algorithm.

I haven't tried mixing them yet and don't even know if I can do that, but they sound pretty good by themselves...

My main preset, a jazz tone, I ended up going back to the cab I was using before! I do like the UA cabs a lot but the afternoon was a wash.

Cab Lab does not yet support UltraRes cabs at this point in time.

Do not mix or try to send UltraRes with Cab Lab for now.

Use the Cab Tool in the Editor to move UltraRes IR's. Since you bought the Pack of UltraRes IR's from Fractal, there are already a slew of different mixes already created for each speaker/cab combination. Use one of those and use the Editor to move them onto the hardware.

i know I mixed all of scott peterson's oh presets together and it came out like some weird robot sputtering to its death :) probably too many things going on but thought Id take a shot! (was about 8 IRs)

Back
Top Bottom