Cabinet RW

Not sure I follow... That quote is about how Cliff named the captures HE made. It's entirely in agreement with what I said. ;)
Cliff did mess with his, and there’s a very rough adherence to a naming convention, but no standard at all that I’ve seen among the vendors. So, “kinda”.

Searching through multiple vendors’ packs ends up forcing me to dig through their readme files to decipher microphone placement numbers or acronyms. I wish the IR files had metadata describing the various features and aspects of the capture itself, so the names could be arbitrary and we had a facility/utility that lets us search and filter. Maybe @FractalAudio could sponsor the adoption of the use of some variation of trailing ID3 tags for that purpose?

Last edited:
So if I see a CAB with RW is there a specific mic that was used to capture the IR?
Yes - and if the mic isnt in the name you’ll need to email the vendor and ask. Are you asking because you want a certain mic or because you found an IR you like and are just curious?

No, because different vendors name their own IRs how they see fit. Some may include a nod to the mic used, but it's not compulsory.
I contacted Redwirez and was told that they captured the IR with 650 takes of various positions of various mics using a grid. Supposedly Cliff took those 650 IRs and blended whatever of however many he wanted to use to make the one IR available for that cabinet and never told anyone which ones nor the ratio. So it's near impossible to figure it out but at least now we know.

Yes - and if the mic isnt in the name you’ll need to email the vendor and ask. Are you asking because you want a certain mic or because you found an IR you like and are just curious?
I'm asking because I'm recreating artist rigs and want to know my starting point for practically each microphone. Contacting the vendor may help in an exact answer or the arbitrary one received from Redwirez...

Back
Top Bottom