Cabinet Modeling Issues

So after getting some tips and messing around all of the head and most of the cabs, I started to get decent tones. There was still something weird about the sound. Kinda muffled and almost sounded distant.

Started checking all the settings. Making sure the input options were on the right settings, output 1 mode Copy L->R, global eq's flat, etc. I then saw power and cabinet modeling and did some research. With my setup (which is the Axe FX 2 (XLR Output 1) into a Crown XLS1000(XLR CH1) to output(Speakon CH1) to cabinet), the cabinet modeling is supposed to be off since the actual cabinet has it's own dynamics. Once I turned it off, it sounded like i was playing through a zoom effects pedal. So I created a new simple patch consisting of an amp and cab and still got a thin, nasty sound. Even flipping through all the patches, not one of them sounds like a real tone.

I've read everywhere and other members are saying it's the rig or amp settings. I tweaked every setting people mentioned and still I am still getting an awful tone. I am not sure what i am missing. I don't know wether buying an FRFR cabinet will help or what, but I have literally hit a brick wall.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

why the cab block in your "simple patch" if you are using a traditional guitar speaker cabinet? You don't need it.

Also, make sure that the power amp's DSP settings are set up for full range operation (no high pass filters and crossover engaged), and if you're using it in bridge mono, the Speakon connector is wired properly.

A simple amp block with (power amp modeling engaged) into the amp into the speaker should be fairly easy to get to sound good.

Reload firmware and do system reset?

Swap out a different amp and/or cab to see if one of them is faulty? Bad cable? Check batteries in your guitar?

Really, just throwing ideas against the wall...

why the cab block in your "simple patch" if you are using a traditional guitar speaker cabinet? You don't need it.

Also, make sure that the power amp's DSP settings are set up for full range operation (no high pass filters and crossover engaged), and if you're using it in bridge mono, the Speakon connector is wired properly.

A simple amp block with (power amp modeling engaged) into the amp into the speaker should be fairly easy to get to sound good.

Reload firmware and do system reset?

Swap out a different amp and/or cab to see if one of them is faulty? Bad cable? Check batteries in your guitar?

Really, just throwing ideas against the wall...

Thanks for those tips. I checked out the XLS power amp settings and left it with no filter. The only thing is it says it's in stereo but it doesn't change the sound if I try and switch it between bridged mono. Also when I use bridged mono both channels levels show signal unlike stereo where only ch1 level shows signal.

It came with 17.02 and it didn't change when I loaded 17.03.

I didn't think about bypassing the amp block. I still don't think that would solve the problem. And I bought all new cables and not a fan of active pickups so those are definitely checked.

I would do a Utility -> System reset.

Then select a preset you don't mind trashing.

Power off.

Hold the Recall button down and power on. This clears the current preset.

Place nothing but an Amp block (type=Plexi 100) and shunts from input to output.

This should sound authentic with your setup.

Thanks for those tips. I checked out the XLS power amp settings and left it with no filter. The only thing is it says it's in stereo but it doesn't change the sound if I try and switch it between bridged mono. Also when I use bridged mono both channels levels show signal unlike stereo where only ch1 level shows signal.

It came with 17.02 and it didn't change when I loaded 17.03.

I didn't think about bypassing the amp block. I still don't think that would solve the problem. And I bought all new cables and not a fan of active pickups so those are definitely checked.

He referred to bypassing cab block , not amp block!

If you are going into a power amp to guitar cab you won,t get good results with a cab block engaged , either turn off cabs in global or bypass or remove cab block in your patch.

Back
Top Bottom