Cabinet Level Seems High

sprint

Axe-Master
I like to have patches that can feed to FRFR with cab sim on or to traditional cab with cab sim off with minimal adjustment. Building patches with this in mind I notice that with most cab sim selections, the cab block adds about 6db of volume to my patch when active. To keep a consistant patch level with cab sim on for FRFR and with cab sim off for traditional cab, I have to set the cab level to about -6 for most cab sims I am using. This is not a problem really but I'm just wondering what the reasoning is for the apparent volume increase on cab sims?

This has always been the case.
Probably caused by the boost of frequencies, because of the cab's EQ curve.

Why is it important to you to keep the same level through both outputs?

This has always been the case.
Probably caused by the boost of frequencies, because of the cab's EQ curve.

Why is it important to you to keep the same level through both outputs?

Thanks for the info. I have output 1 going to my audio interface (Roland Octacapture), and from there to Monitors, FRFR, and traditional Amp (Matrix) Cab (Mesa 112s). I often switch back and forth between FRFR and traditional AmpCab by just bypassing the Cab block and muting FRFR or Matrix from the Octacapture depending on which I want to hear. When doing this I like to have a consistent signal level coming into the audio interface with Cab on or off which is only possible by having the Cab level set at about -6. I know there's other ways to do this (i.e. fx send to output 2 with compensating level) but I like to build FRFR based patches and them use them thru traditional amp/cab without any additional blocks or tweaking. Lowering the level on the Cab works fine for me. I was intrigued by this question, since, intuitively, in my warped thinking anyway, I don't expect a cabinet alone to be able to add overall volume.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom