Cabinet high cut mystery

Petunia

I notice that, on some Fractal presets (including Brown Sound), the high cut on the cabs is way up at 20,000 hz. On others, it's down around 9,000 - and both sound great. Whereas on the AustinBuddy stuff, high cut is often around 13,000 - and I need to roll it down to 7,000 - 9,000 to take out the harshness.

My question - what's going on with some of the Fractal presets that don't include the high cut? How is this possible?

When you mic up an amp and you trace the path:

Guitar—->cable——> amp——speaker cab—->mic(s)——cable—-mic preamp—-digital I/O

Type of mic used, mic placement, mic preamp, and digital I/O used have a fairly big say in what it sounds like… and that’s kind of all baked into the IR to a certain extent.

I think though there might be some philosophy involved. What you want from a guitar in a mix is not always compatible with what you would want onstage, or just playing through a speaker can, headphones, or studio monitors. Not sure if IR makers give the raw sound or if there’s some processing going on with the final product.

With the abundance of tools in the fractal, there’s no shortage of ways to get what you need. I do find though that I default to the York Audio stuff and I certainly have my mic combo preferences and roll off parameters I go for.

Sean Meredith-Jones

The above is basically it - some IR producers create their IRs raw (straight from the mic) and others already have it EQ'd via preamps, EQs, etc. and have the highs shelved off already.

The above is basically it - some IR producers create their IRs raw (straight from the mic) and others already have it EQ'd via preamps, EQs, etc. and have the highs shelved off already.

Mic position rolls off highs the further off axis you go as well. More or less, this more than anything is a trust your ears scenario. The one and only one reason to roll off highs (or do any EQ) is it sounds better for the target use with that applied.

Dig deeper into the parameters in the Amp block, not all high-end 'harshness' is caused by the IR. There are parameters like Definition, Bright Switch/Bright Cap value, Input Dynamics and EQ settings other than the basic BMT and High Treble/Presence that can explain some of the differences as well.

If you try the high cut in the cab sim block you might notice that on many IRs there isn't all that much happening until you get down to about 8 KHz and under. Above that you at most get rid of some sizzle.

Back
Top Bottom