Cabinet Block IR Microphones

neale dunham

Experienced
Does anybody know if there is a complete list anywhere of the mic's used to capture the IR's in the cab block.

I want to do a little research on each of the mic's used, as I know very little about any of the others apart from the Shure SM57......

I dont recognise any of the other suffixes after the capture names to know what they are.

Thanks Guys

Microphones depend on who was doing the capture...there is no list that applies universally across "the cab block."

Many IR names include the mic used for the capture. Look for things like R121 for the Royer 121 ribbon, 57 for a Shure SM-57, etc.

Thanks Greiswig,

Yes I see that many captures are third party etc. So I understand that all manner of different mic's would be used. I just wondered if somebody had compiled a list somewhere. A bit like Yek has done with the amps etc.

...........Maybe I should compile the first one ever!! Lol

Typically, unless it's a mix, the mic model is noted by the number at the end of the IR name; i.e. 121, 421, 4047 etc...

Fractal:

• Shure™ SM57
• Shure™ SM7
• Royer™ R121
• Sennheiser™ MD421
• Sennheiser™ E906
• Beyerdynamic™ M160s
• Audio-Technica™ AT4047
• SE Electronics RNR1
• Shure KSM313

Ownhammer:

“57” is based on a modern production Shure SM57 dynamic microphone.
“70” is based on a Microtech Gefell UMT70S condenser microphone.
“121” is based on a Royer R121 ribbon microphone.
“160” is based on a Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon microphone.
“414” is based on an AKG C414 B-ULS condenser microphone.
“421” is based on a vintage Telefunken MD421-5 dynamic microphone.
“MID” is based on a mid field placed AEA R92 ribbon microphone.
“REAR” is based on a vintage Neumann KM84 condenser microphone.
“ROOM” is based on a vintage Neumann KM84 condenser microphone.

Celestion:
  • 47+84 (Neumann FET47 + Neumann KM84)
  • 112+84 (AKG D112 + Neumann KM84)
  • 421+84 (Sennheiser MD421 + Neumann KM84)
  • 47+421+84 (Sennheiser MD421 + Neumann KM84)
  • 47+112+84 (Neumann FET47 + AKG D112 + Neumann KM84)
  • 112+421+84 (AKG D112 + Sennheiser MD421 + Neumann KM84)
Redwirez:

Many cab and mic combos have multiple IR's from different locations as well.

For example:

4x12 Recto 57 A
4x12 Recto 57 B
4x12 Recto 57 C
4x12 Recto 57 D
4x12 Recto 57 E
4x12 Recto 57 F
4x12 Recto 57 G

Those are all a Mesa Recto 4x12 recorded with an SM57 mic, but at 7 different mic positions, angles, distances, etc.

Joker's above list is pretty extensive.

If you buy a 3rd party IR pack they usually have the mic "codes" in the info sheet, as well as other details.

York Audio uses some unique ones not already listed:

U47- Telefunken U47 (condenser)
E22- Josephson e22s (condenser)
414- AKG C414 (ribbon)
4119- Coles vintage STC4119 (ribbon)
58- Shure SM58 (dynamic)
313- Shure KSM313 (ribbon)

I've been doing the same thing you're trying to do. Get familiar with the broad range of mics. Dynamics are by far the most represented category. There are quite a bit of ribbons and condensers, as well.

The other thing to keep an eye on is the mic placement codes on some. They're also not universal, but generally mean the same between IR producers. They can play a major part in tone shaping.

OA - Off-Axis
CN - Center Cone
CE - Cap Edge
CNE- Cone Edge
CNT - Center Dust Cap

Would be great to make folders of the different mics, speakers, on/off axis etc

That would be very practical, although it would require to save internal text tags at the IR file where the manufacturers could use a standard convention to indicate these parameters. The Axe-Edit Cab Utility would have a "query" utility to select the Cabs according to the required parameters.

I see two issues there: 1) the .sys format for a IR is already a standard. Adding a text tag inside that file would require a new format and there could be compatibility issues. 2) What authority would create the standard convention and convince all the IR manufacturers to use it? Would they update the thousands of sys files that are already on the market?

A similar request that also includes tags for browsing the presets is already at the wish list: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/

The developers of Omnisphere and most synth manufacturers have already sorted that out since the beginning. They have tags to categorize their presets using several queries

Last edited:
That would be very practical, although it would require to save internal text tags at the IR file where the manufacturers could use a standard convention to indicate these parameters. The Axe-Edit Cab Utility would have a "query" utility to select the Cabs according to the required parameters.

I see two issues there: 1) the .sys format for a IR is already a standard. Adding a text tag inside that file would require a new format and there could be compatibility issues. 2) What authority would create the standard convention and convince all the IR manufacturers to use it? Would they update the thousands of sys files that are already on the market?

A similar request that also includes tags for browsing the presets is already at the wish list: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/

The developers of Omnisphere and most synth manufacturers have already sorted that out since the beginning. They have tags to categorize their presets using several queries
I don’t need a tag. Just a file folder system. I know nothing about programming or how to make it happen. If it can’t be done it can’t be done, but one big running master list isn’t very user friendly. If they would just implement this in axedit, that would work for me. Let the axefxIII store them however they do it now. Just let me sort stuff in axedit a little more organized.

I don’t need a tag. Just a file folder system. I know nothing about programming or how to make it happen. If it can’t be done it can’t be done, but one big running master list isn’t very user friendly. If they would just implement this in axedit, that would work for me. Let the axefxIII store them however they do it now. Just let me sort stuff in axedit a little more organized.
When you load in new IRs into Axe Edit "Manage Cabs", you can organize them anyway you like.

Manufacturers give you the master folder for each quality of .wav files, so you could open the 48k folder, and create your own subfolders as you please, and then add what you like in the order you like. "Manage Cabs" allows you to drag and drop, move them where you want. One at a time or the entire folder.

I don’t think of .sys a standard. Or did you mean just within the scope of Fractal? A .wav file is the common standard in the industry for delivering IRs. The cool thing about .wav files is that they support XMP, an ISO standard for embedded metadata. Just what you need for tags. But for file types that don’t support that, like say .sys, metadata can be stored in sidecar files, too.

As far as standard naming conventions, exactly - that’s not gonna happen. Even if all the others do it, Cliff said a while back about specifically not including details in the IR name:
When I was capturing IRs I specifically chose to obfuscate the names to force people to use there ears. Matt had suggested, i.e., 4x12 Brit V30 Speaker 1 Cap SM57. I said "Nope, 4x12 Brit V30 SM57 A. That will force people to listen rather than choosing with their eyes."
I don’t see all other IR producers taking that stance.

Would be great to make folders of the different mics, speakers, on/off axis etc
It's easy enough to do using with the Search function in Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder. I've organized the IRs by mic placement and distance. I searched my main IR folder for 'Cap .05', 'Cap 1', 'Cone 1.0', etc..., then using the 'Select All' function, copied and pasted into new folders, renaming them appropriately. The way you want to organize them is entirely up to you.

Now when it comes to looking for IRs, in the Cab Browser I select a folder and use the Search window to narrow down what I'm looking for, i.e. 'V30', 'Blue', 'axis', 'edge', etc.... It's made auditioning IRs much easier and quicker.

Back
Top Bottom