Cab simulation

Kdog

Inspired
Hey Guys,
I have a Matrix 1000fx with my Axe fx and its running into 1960 4x12 marshal cabinet.

I was doing some tinkering around with the sound and to my ears cab simulation turned off doesn't sound as good as it is when its engaged.

It sounds thicker engaged.

Any ways ...anything I should know in advance about tone tips with this setup ? I'm running it in stereo with the Power amp.

I mean, It sounds nice. But its a little buzzy. I think mainly its the single coils i'm using in my Les Paul.

But any comments and opinions are welcome

Sounds like you just need to do some EQ tuning with the cab simms off. Make sure the power amp sims are on, though there is no one right way generally running a cab sim while using a guitar cab is not the best way to do it.

"Buzzy" could be a good thing if you're trying to cut in a mix but on it's own usually sounds pretty bad. You didn't mention what amp sim you are using... you might try some different ones for better results and again EQ will get you pretty far even on a sim that doesn't start out sounding great.

Hey Guys,
I was doing some tinkering around with the sound and to my ears cab simulation turned off doesn't sound as good as it is when its engaged.

There are a couple cynical phrases that are worth remembering when it comes to sound:

- There's no accounting for taste and
- You can't argue with success

If you like what you hear, then it's right. Conventional wisdom says what you're doing is wrong, but that needs to be qualified. What it really means is you won't get the true model/emulation if you do it that way. But, it's entirely possible that's not what you want. You want it to sound the way it does. So? Don't fight it. Do what you think is right. If it aggravates too many people, I'm pretty sure you'll hear about it.

I must admit, I love my Axe Fx, with studio monitors and FRFR cabs it sounds great, but when I used a real cab with the cab sim off it never seem to sounds right and I have spent hours reading every post there has ever been on this subject on this forum and doing things like tweaking EQ. I know there is nothing wrong with the cab as it sounds great with my Engl head. Im not sure if it is an issue with the Axe or the matrix 800fx. There appears to be a general lack of bottom end and too much fizz. I can see why some people want to leave the cab sim on but that sounds wrong as well.

At this stage I am am wondering whether it would be better with a different cab eg the matrix NL212 rather than my 1936 loaded with V30s as it sounds like they have a wider bandwidth which would be better suited to the Axe. Although I think it sounds great with my matrix Q12s, I miss the oomph that I get playing live with the Engl Blackmore and real cab so am still on the fence about using it live. Im sure it would be perfect in a situation where everything goes through the PA, but most pub gigs I do involve relying on the backline and using the PA for vocals and maybe a kick drum. This is a constant niggle in my head cos I love the sounds I get playing in he house with the Axe and want to achieve that in a live situation.

I must admit, I love my Axe Fx, with studio monitors and FRFR cabs it sounds great, but when I used a real cab with the cab sim off it never seem to sounds right and I have spent hours reading every post there has ever been on this subject on this forum and doing things like tweaking EQ. I know there is nothing wrong with the cab as it sounds great with my Engl head. Im not sure if it is an issue with the Axe or the matrix 800fx. There appears to be a general lack of bottom end and too much fizz. I can see why some people want to leave the cab sim on but that sounds wrong as well.

At this stage I am am wondering whether it would be better with a different cab eg the matrix NL212 rather than my 1936 loaded with V30s as it sounds like they have a wider bandwidth which would be better suited to the Axe. Although I think it sounds great with my matrix Q12s, I miss the oomph that I get playing live with the Engl Blackmore and real cab so am still on the fence about using it live. Im sure it would be perfect in a situation where everything goes through the PA, but most pub gigs I do involve relying on the backline and using the PA for vocals and maybe a kick drum. This is a constant niggle in my head cos I love the sounds I get playing in he house with the Axe and want to achieve that in a live situation.

When I first started with the Axe I used my head and one of my 412 cabs to basically tone match my tube rig. It's way easier to tune in a preset when you have the real thing to A/B it too, especially when you're using guitar cabs.

I hadnt thought of using the tone match block in conjunction with a real cab, is that what you mean, would be interesting to try. I done have a DI box or mic at the moment but might try and borrow at some point

Back
Top Bottom