Cab Sims Sound Harsh

agreed on the hi/lo cut in the cab block plus filter slope set to 12dB/oct. if it still lacks umph, set the mic type to null and add proximity to taste. oh, and dephase will ease some of that directness you get with frfr.

This is pretty much what I do to get most cabs to sound more natural.

Same here. I've been going back through my IR collection and finding IRs that I once hated sound good now. For example, the Rumble cabs sound great with the new firmware whereas I found them strange sounding before.

The Rumble stock cabs sound CRUSHING with the USA C++ model.

Same here. I've been going back through my IR collection and finding IRs that I once hated sound good now. For example, the Rumble cabs sound great with the new firmware whereas I found them strange sounding before.
Exactly! I can't imagine the stock cabs would've been shot that badly at the first place that they would sound completely unusable. Someone must've been listening to them and saying "okay this sounds good, let's save this one". It's the amp simulation that's been lacking. Not anymore!

considering the amount of people who only use the stock cabs and get great results out of them, i suspect this has more to do with what you're monitoring through than the cab ir's themselves

Last edited:
Yea, I guess i'm thinking the cabs shouldn't sound dull, or just not appealing. When I use my Axe FX through my matrix power amp and madison cab it sounds monstorous.

Sorry if I missed this but what gear are you using to audition the cab sims?

I haven't updated from 8.02 to 9.01 on either my AXE-2 or AX8 - after about 100 firmware updates in around 10 years, and the frustration of firmware changing the sound of patches I've worked hard on or downloaded patches others have, i'm goomg to sit this one out for now. just finished loading AustinBuddy's amazing preset pack, and until Austin gives the thumbs up to update, I'm staying put on 8.02.

I use a CLR or Equator D5 - played with good volume. Will post a patch this weekend.

For example, the Rumble cabs sound great with the new firmware whereas I found them strange sounding before.

Interesting...I also found them a bit weird sounding until I set up a preset with AustinBuddy's SSS Dumble recipe (with v8/stock factory cab) and found that cab outstanding and looked at it in a new light. Since then I've been using my custom Dumble cab mix from the FAS cab packs for clean and mid-gain/bluesy tones and absolutely love it.

Many users are saying many IR's are catching there ear that didn't before with v9; I'm going to spent time strictly on the IR side of things soon as it seems like that needs to be revisited in a big way for v9...exciting stuff. I love when new options and IR's that I might have overlooked open up after a firmware improvement.

turn the low cut up to 100 and the high cut down to 6000! This is probably the most useful thing you can do to make your tone sound more like an amp. Those are values that I start out with and then fine tune from there.

This works for me very consistently. By doing this, you're coming closer to the actual frequency response of many speakers.

This works for me very consistently. By doing this, you're coming closer to the actual frequency response of many speakers.
While you're at it, try setting those filter slopes to 12 dB/octave. That seems to let me find a better sweet spot, cutting more of what I want to cut and less of what I don't.

Finally had a chance to reply, but thanks everyone for the advice!!! Gonna go up to my practice room tonight and try some of these tips. I'm pretty sure my issue was not using high pass and low pass filters.

They are not mandatory, but they can be sort of a "safety net" so that it's more difficult to dial very harsh tones. The single most important thing really is to keep it real: don't do 5 different eq's and two drive pedals and three amps with all the advanced parameters tweaked. Take the amp at default settings, flip through the IRs and when you find what you like, you are 95% there. This kind of sounds are realistic and will work in wide variety of situations. If at that point it sounds bad, chances are that something is wrong: basic settings, bad monitoring speakers, bad whatever, I don't know.

I've lost count how many incredibly complicated and stupid patches I've downloaded from AxeChange and this forum, with four rows of incomprehensible mess and random routing, that in real life would look like this:

mess.jpg

They are not mandatory, but they can be sort of a "safety net" so that it's more difficult to dial very harsh tones. The single most important thing really is to keep it real: don't do 5 different eq's and two drive pedals and three amps with all the advanced parameters tweaked. Take the amp at default settings, flip through the IRs and when you find what you like, you are 95% there. This kind of sounds are realistic and will work in wide variety of situations. If at that point it sounds bad, chances are that something is wrong: basic settings, bad monitoring speakers, bad whatever, I don't know.

I've lost count how many incredibly complicated and stupid patches I've downloaded from AxeChange and this forum, with four rows of incomprehensible mess and random routing, that in real life would look like this:

View attachment 42615
I guarantee you that pc gets TONE

turn the low cut up to 100 and the high cut down to 6000! This is probably the most useful thing you can do to make your tone sound more like an amp. Those are values that I start out with and then fine tune from there.
Where? In the Cab block? EQ? THANKS

Back
Top Bottom