Cab High Cut

• Leave as is 20,000

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Lower the value

Votes: 47 82.5%

• Total voters

bshaw92

Experienced
I'm curious as to what people do with the cab high cut. Stock at 20,000 and I have always left it alone. With other devices I lowered this. As I am playing between a couple of products right now and my amp I find that without the comparison I was perfectly fine. Now I am leaning toward lowering it again.

If you lower it what is your preferred range and what are you listening for?

My reference is playing live so for playing into a computer you may have different reasons.

I mainly record "into a computer" - for that I go for what blends the best for that particular song. Normally that would be in the 4000 - 7000hz range.

I'm listning for "harsh" and "icy" overtones ...

I am strictly recording so I tend to leave mine wide open and do it all in the daw. But I gotta admit, seeing guys say they are cutting all the way down to 4k or 6k is definitely making me think my hearing is shot, if I were to cut down that far I wold perceive the tone as being way to dark. Also curious what people are doing with the low cut.

I am strictly recording so I tend to leave mine wide open and do it all in the daw. But I gotta admit, seeing guys say they are cutting all the way down to 4k or 6k is definitely making me think my hearing is shot, if I were to cut down that far I wold perceive the tone as being way to dark. Also curious what people are doing with the low cut.
Agreed. I never go below 10 000 hz with a 18 dB/octave cut. I also have my low cut set to 150 hz with the same steepness. Leaving room for the bass ;)

Depends on the IRs, in my opinion.

I was using somewhere between 7500-8500 as a general rule, but since switching to the ML Legends as my go-to, I've found that I don't need any high cut and very little low cut.

Attaching an RTA to the Cab block can help. I see the IRs I'm using have no real content above about 6k or so.

The master high cut in the Cab Block’s preamp page defaults to 10k, so even with the cab slots set to 20k, it’s still low passing at 10k. For total realism, I always take the master high cut up to 20k and start there.

9 times out of 10, people use the high cut to get rid of fatiguing frequencies, but with the new PEQ band solo mode, you can just notch out the stuff that hurts without taking away the information you want to keep. For example, place a PEQ after the cab, take a tight Q and sweep the 1-3k range and cut the telephone frequencies that hurt, or sweep the 5-8k range for any ice picky frequencies. You can get rid of the stuff that annoys you without getting rid of the stuff that makes your guitar sound natural. If you stood next to a guy with a real amp, they would have information above 10k. The difference is that you can get rid of the stuff that hurts and they would have to rely on the soundguy for that.

Since I use way more effects than I probably should, I normally don't use high cut to retain more detail in the amp tone.

I'm on new track recently cutting at 5000-5500. My theory is Celestion speakers stop at 5000 so why would you need more. Only draw back I see is FX don't seem to shine as they would at 8-10,000. Mind you I'm trying to match a real amp in a live situation.

since switching to the ML Legends as my go-to

I have been using the ML Zilla CB75's and V30's. I am also working on the girth that is there with the amp. Using the fat switch and depth seem to help. The Axe has the bounce and clarity but working to get the warm depth that is there with my amp. I'm going to try a ToneMatch tonight and then work on the cabinet and some settings.

For me, there isn't one particular method or preferred hi cut. A lot depends on the IR(s) and the amp settings and the intended environment I'll be in--Live or Studio. Live sounds I tend to eq warmer. My quick and easy way is to set Hi cut between 4500k-10k and Low cut to 80k to 115k. I also use the PEQ after the Cab block like @York Audio stated, which is a more surgical approach. I don't think I've found a tried and true method that works for all applications.
Actually, I find doing a Low Cut has a big effect on what you end up setting the Hi Cut to.

Hmmmmm I'm going to have to set up the real rig and use an SM57 and see what the RTA sees above 5000. I get where Justin is coming from but less blocks are less blocks.

Hmmmmm I'm going to have to set up the real rig and use an SM57 and see what the RTA sees above 5000. I get where Justin is coming from but less blocks are less blocks.
Just go to the Celestion site as they have frequency response curves for all their speakers. They drop off but none of them that I looked at stop at 5K.

I seldom use a LPF on a real mic'd cabinet, and tend to do the same within the Axe. I can see needing Hi Cut for an IR I didn't like, but generally I look for one that doesn't need filters. YMMV

I hight cut around 8k to 9k and low cut from 90 to 130. I tried high cutting much lower, around 6k to 6.5k, and found it sounded way too dark/closed with my band. That said, at the gigs I do have some high, squealy feedback if I'm not careful, so I'll try the peq trick to see if i can find those frequencies and cut them out.

Back
Top Bottom