Cab Settings Poll High Cut

Cab High Cut

• Leave as is 20,000

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Lower the value

Votes: 48 82.8%

• Total voters
I’ve always found it easier mixing when I know what instruments fall where. There is something to be said for high frequency content, but it can compete with hihats and such, and I find I can just make stuff “sit” better not worrying about high overtones from the guitar, certain ice pick tones etc while still having a crisp closed hat and being able to hear half pedal stuff etc. Justin shares some good tips though. I’m just kind of lazy and don’t want to worry looking for it so I just throw the guitar into its “lane” and work with that lol.

Same reason I cut at 100hz, I don’t want to mess with guitar below that, I fill that out with bass, kick, synth etc. Maybe isn’t ideal for solo guitar but when it’s all layered it still sounds super heavy, but no mud.

I checked mine in several presets and it was 20/20000.
I’m sure some factory presets may default to 20/20k, but I was referring to fresh preset default Cab Block. When I pull one up, the slots are all 20/20k, but the preamp page’s master high cut is at 10k. Is it just my Axe that does that?

I’ve always found it easier mixing when I know what instruments fall where. There is something to be said for high frequency content, but it can compete with hihats and such, and I find I can just make stuff “sit” better not worrying about high overtones from the guitar, certain ice pick tones etc while still having a crisp closed hat and being able to hear half pedal stuff etc. Justin shares some good tips though. I’m just kind of lazy and don’t want to worry looking for it so I just throw the guitar into its “lane” and work with that lol.

Same reason I cut at 100hz, I don’t want to mess with guitar below that, I fill that out with bass, kick, synth etc. Maybe isn’t ideal for solo guitar but when it’s all layered it still sounds super heavy, but no mud.
You’re probably in line with a lot of players. I wouldn’t call it lazy, you just wanna play your guitar. Whenever my band would be in production rehearsals, I’d always talk to our FOH guy after a run through to see what he did to my channels for the mix. I’d always try to correct it on my end so that whenever he put “faders up”...my guitar would have next to zero EQ on it and sound great in the mix. Fractal made me geeky that way...and I love it. One thing I noticed was that if I set my high cut lower, he ended up boosting a high shelf to get that air back. Whenever I would leave it wide open, he wouldn’t touch the top end, but he would notch out those certain frequencies that poked out more than he wanted.

At the end of the day, it all depends on the IR you’re using. Some are dark, some are honky, some are natural, and some are blisteringly fizzy. We just gotta set the amp where it feels good and make cuts where it doesn’t.

I’m sure some factory presets may default to 20/20k, but I was referring to fresh preset default Cab Block. When I pull one up, the slots are all 20/20k, but the preamp page’s master high cut is at 10k. Is it just my Axe that does that?

You’re probably in line with a lot of players. I wouldn’t call it lazy, you just wanna play your guitar. Whenever my band would be in production rehearsals, I’d always talk to our FOH guy after a run through to see what he did to my channels for the mix. I’d always try to correct it on my end so that whenever he put “faders up”...my guitar would have next to zero EQ on it and sound great in the mix. Fractal made me geeky that way...and I love it. One thing I noticed was that if I set my high cut lower, he ended up boosting a high shelf to get that air back. Whenever I would leave it wide open, he wouldn’t touch the top end, but he would notch out those certain frequencies that poked out more than he wanted.

At the end of the day, it all depends on the IR you’re using. Some are dark, some are honky, some are natural, and some are blisteringly fizzy. We just gotta set the amp where it feels good and make cuts where it doesn’t.

My cab block also defaults to 10k. I’ve seen other notes about it defaulting to 20k and those have always confused me. If I start a blank preset and add a cab, we’re at 10k.

As @York Audio mentioned the PEQ solo feature is a great way to hone in on offensive frequencies. Skip to around 3:15 here to see it in action.

FWIW I've found leaving the cuts wide open (20/20k in the preamp section) when recording gives me the most flexibility. Live it's 80/10k but with some surgical cuts.

Back
Top Bottom