Wish Cab Select "Auto-Audition"

kypen

As detailed in Ola Englund's review of the Engl Savage Plugin Basically, the idea is to enable an auto incrementor to the cabinet selection dialog in Axe-Edit and/or on the unit itself.

I agree that the best way to select cabs is by ear, as is often the guidance on this forum. However, setting up a looper block to play a riff, play that riff, clip it nicely, then increment through the various IRs by hand is cumbersome and takes an extra block of CPU. Similarly, incrementing by hand on a keyboard or the unit isn't exactly ergonomic. I don't have a footswitch, so I can't comment on if that makes this easier. Also, look, I just want to play and hear the cool sounds this thing can do!

So, the request is to have a toggle that can be engaged on each cab selector to auto-increment (or decrement) the selected cab every N seconds (configurable, possibly as a global?).

As a side, even taking feature requests in a public forum is very transparent and I appreciate that as a customer. Thank you for making a great product and maintaining it publicly.

What a coincidence. I just watched that exact video, thought that auto incrementor was interesting, came hear to look up Engl Savage settings, and your post popped up.

I know its a little old and there are other ways to audition cabinets, but I still thought it was cool.

I don’t know if the temporary CPU of the looper is a huge problem when you are building patches...

Leon @2112 has a video where he pins the Cab selection window and runs through the cans just by pressing an arrow key, which seems pretty ergonomic to me. Agree it would be a pain if you couldn’t pin the selection window! Did you try pinning the window open and that didn’t work for your use case?

Maybe you can even create a repeating macro with a delay between repeats, if your keyboard or mouse has the software for it, together with the pinned window as mentioned above, it should work flawlessly.

You can also scroll through the cabs by clicking on the cab number field name in the Cab block in Axe Edit so the little dotted line highlight is around it and then use the arrow keys to move one cab at a time.

What do you guys do when you’ve narrowed it down to 5-10 cabs or so when they aren’t right next to each other?

I compared a few the brute force way of saving a preset for each one, but that starts becoming tedious when you have to save 5-10 patches.

Not to mention it is a little tedious for even 3 patches, where you have to remember or write down your favorites after going through a ton and then having to go back and create a preset for each one. Is there a way of highlighting or putting an asterisk by your favorites in Axe-Edit?

You can assign colors to cabs in axe edit. Then only display those with that color, and pin the window and use the arrow keys there.

If you find cabs that you like, save the block to the block library. Works great for quickly finding your favorites! Heck, you can even number them 1,2,3...

I don’t know if the temporary CPU of the looper is a huge problem when you are building patches...

Leon @2112 has a video where he pins the Cab selection window and runs through the cans just by pressing an arrow key, which seems pretty ergonomic to me. Agree it would be a pain if you couldn’t pin the selection window! Did you try pinning the window open and that didn’t work for your use case?
hi,im trying to do the pinning of the cab it doesnt work his pic is over the pin so i didnt really see what he did leon im talking bout in the vid

Click the pin icon on the picker window to make it stay in place after selecting a cab. It will go from being a sideways floating pin to diagonal poked in one.

Click the pin icon on the picker window to make it stay in place after selecting a cab. It will go from being a sideways floating pin to diagonal poked in one.
i clicked it both ways and the cab was selected still didnt do anything.i found diff way to do it thanks

With the picker pinned, you can select a cab and then use the arrow keys to scroll through more cabs in the picker window while playing. If it's not pinned, the picker window disappears once you select a cab.

Edit: The behavior must have changed at some point with Axe Edit. In the past you could use the arrow keys like Leon does in the video, but you are correct, now it no longer actually changes the cab when using the arrow keys. The highlight moves, but that's it. You have to click to change the cab now.

The method of clicking on the cab number field label ("#" sign) and then using the arrow keys still works. That's the method I typically use.

Last edited:
thank you i thought i was going crazy from what ppl were saying and i was doing but not working.yes this is how i found out how to do it.can you change the perset also like this

Back
Top Bottom