Cab Preamp Block - is it possible to "simulate" 15us at High Quality ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

I really like the 35us / 35 ips Preamp Setting @ High Quality in the Cab Block.

I realize there is no 15 us / 15 ips setting but I was wondering if it was possible with the current parameters to "simulate" 15 ips from the exisiting 35 ips ?

Many thanks,
Ben

ips in tape world should mean INCHES PER SECOND rite?

You should be able to simulate that with a HF rolloff. Back in my day, 15 ips was a compromise to save tape, and roughly halve your frequency response. There is more to it than that certainly. The EQ shit built into the circuitry of the great tape machines is black-box-wizardry, and kudoos to Fractal for even looking at that stuff.

But my gut reaction is to roll off at 12khz. Not like you should have lots of guitar info there anywayz.

I'd say, at the very end of your chain, open up a Drive Block, select Tape Distortion, then bring the High-Cut down to emulate the tape machine roll off... Open the EQ tab of the Drive Block and play with 100hz-250hz to add some more warmth, and then use the Drive for the saturation. Not sure about the real specifics of getting the 7.5/15/30 ips.

I have a couple points of clarification / possible questions:

1. There is no "preamp" block. There's an Amp block, and then there are some preamp settings in the Cab block. What are you referring to specifically?
2. When I see "32us", I think "35 pico-seconds", and when I see "35ips" I think "35 inches per second". Those are incompatible units of measurement. Is there some meaning of "35us" that I'm unaware of?

I have a couple points of clarification / possible questions:

1. There is no "preamp" block. There's an Amp block, and then there are some preamp settings in the Cab block. What are you referring to specifically?
2. When I see "32us", I think "35 pico-seconds", and when I see "35ips" I think "35 inches per second". Those are incompatible units of measurement. Is there some meaning of "35us" that I'm unaware of?
Hi !

I am referring to the Preamp Tab in the Cab Block.

I assume us is Fractal "shorthand" / their "naming convention" for ips (?)

Be good if Fractal could chime in.

All the best,
Ben

'I assume us is Fractal "shorthand" / their "naming convention" for ips (?)'

I'm not sure this is the case.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

@ben ifin for what it's worth, I just ran through the UAD Studer A800 emulation at 15ips, and after checking the frequency analyzer (using FabFilter ProQ3), I see there's about a 3dB bump from 200hz-350hz, and the roll off of -3dB begins around 4K, with about -6dB at 10K, and -12dB around 14K.

You can use this calculator to convert the Equalization Time Constant (τ) to Frequency:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-timeconstant.htm

τ 35µs = 4.547 Hz EQ Emphasis: DIN
τ 50µs = 3.183 Hz EQ Emphasis: NAB, PCM, FM
τ 70µs = 2.274 Hz EQ Emphasis: RIAA, FM

The reason for using a "Time Constant" instead of a "Frequency" is historical: before Spice, Computers, and Scientific Calculators, Electronic Engineers used the Time Constant to calculate the values for the RC circuit.

Here is the list of all the standards:
https://www.iasa-web.org/tc04/magnetic-tapes-replay-equalisation

Last edited:
@ben ifin for what it's worth, I just ran through the UAD Studer A800 emulation at 15ips, and after checking the frequency analyzer (using FabFilter ProQ3), I see there's about a 3dB bump from 200hz-350hz, and the roll off of -3dB begins around 4K, with about -6dB at 10K, and -12dB around 14K.
Hi Camilio

Thats huge info :) Thanks very much for taking the time to do that.

Really appreciated.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom