Cab Pack: ML USA Bass based on Mesa PowerHouse PH1000

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
The pack was just released! Click here to find out more.

I'm officially announcing this pack now after just submitting a hopefully final version to official FAS beta. Expect to hear more clip soon. Meanwhile I apologize since this is my first week slappin da bass mon.

My good friend @shaunb has been using the beta pack for his clip for some while now and he's been getting a lot of questions about his bass tones that he can now start answering. :) Have a listen to these amazing clips:

Within this huge cabinet you'll find four 10 inch speakers (4x10) with a 15 inch speaker in the middle (1x15) and a tweeter for a neutral high end response.
1000_powerhouse_nav.png

The 10 inch speakers deliver that hollow scooped grindy bass tone that's usually associated with Ampeg but the sturdy construction of this Mesa cabinet makes even more aggressive. Bass tones like this that I really like: No Doubt, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Metallica, Blink 182, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage etc.

The 15 inch speaker delivers a more neutral and guitar-like sound. If you've ever felt like you prefer guitar IR's for bass then this is for you. It has the same low end that's meant for bass but it's not at all scooped and the high end is a lot smoother than on a 10 inch speaker. Bass tones that benefit from a 15 inch speaker are f.ex. Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Alter Bridge, Periphery and obviously many others.

The tweeter and subkick give you an extended range when needed. Essentially you could create a full range IR mix and use that instead of a DI bass to get a more authentic and natural sound.

Preset-Cab Bundles are what I've spent the most time on. They are based on real life bass tones and they're mix-ready meaning they have processing on them which you can obviously disable if you don't want it. Right now the pack includes 17 radically different bass tones ranging from metalcore (KSE-esque) to rock (Paramore-esque) to hard rock (Avenged Sevenfold-esque) to smooth jazz etc. There's a lot to choose from. Here's a quick clip using some of the presets:

https://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/random-clip

Ask all the questions you have. I'm here for you. :)

4b925cc1550e5db437c5664dce0bae8f.jpg

Last edited:
I'm officially announcing this pack now after just submitting a hopefully final version to official FAS beta. Expect to hear more clip soon. Meanwhile I apologize since this is my first week slappin da bass mon.
Let me know if you need an AX8 beta tester for this (or any in the future too) :):D;)

Looking forward to this
Looking forward to people's feedback. So far all the beta guys really like this pack. :) There is a "Mesa-ness" to the sound for sure. I think you can hear it in that teaser video in the end where I play that distorted Karnivool riff. Also the 15 inch speaker sounds good with guitar as well. My go-to IR is actually a single mic R121 on the 15 inch speaker. The high end is very guitar like but the low end is huge. I've mostly used it in post for mixes and it forces the bass to find it's place in a mix and blend in nicely with guitars.... okay I'm rambling on once again. :)

Let me know if you need an AX8 beta tester for this (or any in the future too) :):D;)
Ha! That might actually happen. I know the AX8 presets don't work quite like the Axe-Fx presets because of CPU limitations. I have a lot going on in those presets because I want them to be instantly ready for mixes. Comp, gate, multiband comp, dual amp, 15 inch for dirty amp, 10 inch for clean amp, octave fuzzes, buzzes, dirties, growlies... okay I'm rambling on once again. :)

I love your last bass pack, this one seems very versatile and that presets clip is awesome! Keep up the great work, both in the cabs and the band which keeps sounding better all the time!
Thank you Dogstarr! I've also been using Cab Pack 11: ML SV Bass for all my bass tones and I've been mostly using the single mic options lately.

This USA Bass pack has a sturdier sound to it and obviously the speaker options make it extremely versatile. This preset idea came from realizing that getting the "immediate gratification" may take some time for people who just get the IR's. Bass is a bit more complicated to tweak to fit a mix than guitar.

I hope this signals that FAS is going to add something to the Axe-FX for bass in the near future.
Might be. Honestly I don't know. When I was going through the amp sims I felt like many of the guitar amp sims were really good for bass. Some even better than the bass amp sims. I know in this modeling world it's all about having an eye on the brand names etc. but if you're a bass player I strongly suggest you try out Hipower Brillnt, Nuclear-Tone and 6G12 Concert for clean bass tones. For a slight dirt the 1987X. USA Sub Blues and Cameron amp sims. For distortion the JS410 Lead Rd, Solo 88/99/100 Lead versions, FAS 6160 and Diezel amp sims. Those all sound really good with bass IMO.

Check this clip for some ML USA Bass teasage! @shaunb has done some awesome beta testing with this pack. This song has NO GUITAR but it's ALL BASS. :)

I'm going to be doing some more short clips like that "soon". I'm in the middle of selling a house / buying another house so things are super hectic, but I'll get to it as quickly as possible. Thanks for the mention and sharing of that clip :)

Back
Top Bottom