Cab Pack: ML Brit Collection II

Great playing, Herr BB! You know your way around a fretboard. Hard for me to gauge the tone from a YouTube clip, though. Do you feel Mikko managed to capture those nice mids that the G12-65 has...better than others have managed? I'll shell out $80 to get the goods, but I would hate to get more of the same for that price.
All I can say is that a local Marshall collector tried the 65 cab and wanted to buy it from me straight away saying that he has three slanted ones but this straight one sounded even better than the ones he's collected over the years. He went through the serial numbers and shouted out "YES!!" ... thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Great playing, Herr BB! You know your way around a fretboard. Hard for me to gauge the tone from a YouTube clip, though. Do you feel Mikko managed to capture those nice mids that the G12-65 has...better than others have managed? I'll shell out $80 to get the goods, but I would hate to get more of the same for that price.

All I can say, especially of you I tried today some of the G12-65 in this pack, as I have so far gone through mainly the creambacks and greenbacks. The G12-65 has so much balls it hit me in the stomach to be honest. Pur mid power for my presets.

A question for you Mikko (and other IR creators, too): Will you ever add a Neumann U87 mic to your collection? It's expensive, I know, but I'm still using some of the Redwirez IRs because of this mic...

A question for you Mikko (and other IR creators, too): Will you ever add a Neumann U87 mic to your collection? It's expensive, I know, but I'm still using some of the Redwirez IRs because of this mic...
Although it's an expensive mic it's more about the quality vs quantity factor in my case. Last year everything was "more is more" and we made Cab Pack 20 with 1775 IR's. After that it's been about "less is more" and making the packs quick and satisfying to use rather than forcing people to spend hours of time to get something out of a Cab Pack. I definitely would go full out Redwirez on these packs but with the precision and process that I create these packs it would take me months to shoot just one cabinet if I had too many mic options. These 5 mics and 5 cabs took me around 6 months. My main concern is risking quality over quantity and doing rush jobs with more mics that the majority of people wouldn't even try out. :)

Bigger bang for the buck might be neutral reference mic captures like an Earthworks. Then we could use the mic sims and get the U87 and other flavors that way.

Mikko- I assume most of the IR's in this pack are close mic scenarios? Save for maybe something like the Royer?
Do you ever mic cabs further away to get some room involved?

Bigger bang for the buck might be neutral reference mic captures like an Earthworks. Then we could use the mic sims and get the U87 and other flavors that way.

That sounds like a good compromise to me. Maybe it's best to reduce the overall IR number even more and add this one mic to the fold?

@Mikko: I think Redwirez has shot way too many IRs per mic & cab. So many details, it's really overdone. 800 IRs for 5 cabs is still excessive, in my opinion. That's 32 IRs per mic - assuming you're using 5 mics -, wouldn't 10 IRs per mic already suffice?

I know that Rosen Digital is on the other side of the specturm, delivering only 4-5 IRs per cab, but to be honest, sometimes that's enough. Many guys find a certain sweet spot for their mic and they use the same spot all the time, so it's not entierly insane just to provide a couple of IRs.

This, of course, is no criticism of your work, which is, qualitatively speaking, outstanding, it is merely a suggestion that you could use your time in a more efficient manner. I appreciate your efforts very much, it's just that, I think, it's overkill.

Have any of you guys used more than 300 IRs from the first Brit Collection pack? I know I haven't. It's usually enough to mix 4 almost random IRs with different mics and you're able to create a convicning mix with a bit of Cab Lab tweaking. With that being said, maybe I'm in the minority here?

Last edited:
Do the ML Sound Lab packs come with wav files? Can they only be used with Fractal products?
i like to import wav files into my daw for manipulation at times.

Do the ML Sound Lab packs come with wav files? Can they only be used with Fractal products?
i like to import wav files into my daw for manipulation at times.

Hi,

- Do the ML Sound Lab packs come with wav files?

No! all the FAS cab-packs are in proprietary format (.syx & .ir )

- Can they only be used with Fractal products?

Yes (.syx to load in the axe and .ir to use with cab-lab or cab-lab plugin)

- i like to import wav files into my daw for manipulation at times.

if you want to use the FAS cab-pack directly in your DAW, you will need the cab-lab plugin

Thank you guys for answering many of the questions for me. :)

Mikko- I assume most of the IR's in this pack are close mic scenarios? Save for maybe something like the Royer?
Do you ever mic cabs further away to get some room involved?
Of course! I use my mic robot to fine tune distances on pretty much all captures that I make. That being said I strongly believe that pulling the mic back a lot is not the way you get the best sound. It starts to smear the character of the cabinet and I feel like that technique is beneficial when you're not really liking the natural sound of the speaker cabinet. I try to find the real character of the cabinet and emphasize that character rather than try and make it sound like something that it's naturally not. That has always been my approach. My approach to creating mixes is completely based on me playing around with different distances with two or more mics. :)

I went ahead and picked up this Cab Pack. Glad I did, it does make a muffin bettah. The G12-65 is big, bold and creamy. Got stuck on the Fuchs + the G12-65 for a long while :D.

I tried the 4x10 with the 59 Bassman and that is really sweet combination also.

I've also realized I suck at IR mixing. Every time I think I've got a great mix and then a/b to Mikko's Aces, I lose. So, less is more for me. I like the abbreviated format.
This is much appreciated. The mixes are there for this reason. Mixing IR's is not for everyone and I'm not talking about skills alone but people can easily get lost trying to keep their ears neutral and make quick decisions based on what they hear. :) I'm glad the 65 and 4x10 are getting the love they deserve. Those are definitely the more vintage sounding speaker options. :)

Back
Top Bottom