Cab Pack: ML Brit Collection II

That's always nice to hear. :) Thank you so much for the feedback. I'd love to hear some clips if you guys have some time to track something. :)

Hey everyone! This Brit Collection II has recently been updated. Long story short, some of the mixed IR's in .syx format were not minimum phase transformed meaning that if you try mixing them with stock cabinet inside the unit itself they will have phase issues. You can download the updated version from the Fractal online store page.

How's everyone liking the pack? All the sound samples I've heard have sounded extremely authentic. :)

How's everyone liking the pack? All the sound samples I've heard have sounded extremely authentic. :)

Since you asked...

I decided to roll the dice and spend the coin and pick this up, but I am not currently using any of the IRs I got from it. I had high hopes given the price and the praise, but I am finding better IRs and better value with another third party provider. As with any such pack, preference is probably as much a matter of taste and individual tone goals as anything.

I'm willing to give it another try given what you just wrote about the phase issue...but especially for that amount of money I would hope for a double-check of QA before releasing. I love the number of options out there now, but it is a two-edged sword: you can find yourself sinking hours into finding just the right cabinet that has knock, edge, no honk, etc...and then to find out that you have to download and try again is a little demotivating.

Since you asked...

I decided to roll the dice and spend the coin and pick this up, but I am not currently using any of the IRs I got from it. I had high hopes given the price and the praise, but I am finding better IRs and better value with another third party provider. As with any such pack, preference is probably as much a matter of taste and individual tone goals as anything.

I'm willing to give it another try given what you just wrote about the phase issue...but especially for that amount of money I would hope for a double-check of QA before releasing. I love the number of options out there now, but it is a two-edged sword: you can find yourself sinking hours into finding just the right cabinet that has knock, edge, no honk, etc...and then to find out that you have to download and try again is a little demotivating.
Thank you for the constructive feedback! I'm sad to hear you didn't like the sounds. Many people consider the G12H30 from this era (both the Blackback/"BB" and Creamback/"CB") to be the best speaker ever made. Personally I love the Creamback just as much as the PR75 from Cab Pack 20 and those are my go-to choices for all Marshall sounds. The reason the pack is bigger is that we decided people would rather get 5 packs for less than the price of 3 than having to get them one by one and not being able to try them all out. Like you said, tastes vary which is why I always post clips to support people making investments. The clips that I post are usually just the matching amp sim with default settings and a "regular" IR from the packs without any post processing so there's no trickery with making the clips sound a specific way. F.ex. this preview for this pack is using a JCM800 preset that comes with the pack (you can check how simple it is) and the general mix for each cab:

About QA, these packs get heavily beta tested. This issue only appeared when doing something a bit out of the ordinary which is trying to mix the existing mix IR's with a stereo block inside the Axe-Fx and panning both IR's to the center. We even talked about intentionally leaving the mixed IR's in raw format as it is essentially a higher quality IR than having them MPT'd, but the standard is having all .syx format IR's MPT'd so when you mix IR's within the unit with f.ex. stock cabinets you don't get phase issues. This is all technical mumble for most people but what I'm trying to say is: The issue was unnoticeable in 99% of use cases. I'd just rather be honest about this stuff. :)

This just in: Mikko reacts positively to my critique (which was sincerely not meant to be criticism) and earns serious credibility with me for his efforts.

Thanks, much, Mikko.

This just in: Mikko reacts positively to my critique (which was sincerely not meant to be criticism) and earns serious credibility with me for his efforts.

Thanks, much, Mikko.
No problem at all. A positive attitude usually leads to a positive attitude towards you kind of like an "infectious smile". :)

Look for ML SOUND LAB's new eBook, "Zen and the Art of IR Producing", later this year on Amazon :)
I already have a book cover...

mikko_backpack.jpg

... if you're wondering what I'm doing in this pic. I'm searching for that perfect tone.

Thank you for the constructive feedback! I'm sad to hear you didn't like the sounds. Many people consider the G12H30 from this era (both the Blackback/"BB" and Creamback/"CB") to be the best speaker ever made. Personally I love the Creamback just as much as the PR75 from Cab Pack 20 and those are my go-to choices for all Marshall sounds. The reason the pack is bigger is that we decided people would rather get 5 packs for less than the price of 3 than having to get them one by one and not being able to try them all out. Like you said, tastes vary which is why I always post clips to support people making investments. The clips that I post are usually just the matching amp sim with default settings and a "regular" IR from the packs without any post processing so there's no trickery with making the clips sound a specific way. F.ex. this preview for this pack is using a JCM800 preset that comes with the pack (you can check how simple it is) and the general mix for each cab:

About QA, these packs get heavily beta tested. This issue only appeared when doing something a bit out of the ordinary which is trying to mix the existing mix IR's with a stereo block inside the Axe-Fx and panning both IR's to the center. We even talked about intentionally leaving the mixed IR's in raw format as it is essentially a higher quality IR than having them MPT'd, but the standard is having all .syx format IR's MPT'd so when you mix IR's within the unit with f.ex. stock cabinets you don't get phase issues. This is all technical mumble for most people but what I'm trying to say is: The issue was unnoticeable in 99% of use cases. I'd just rather be honest about this stuff. :)

When you record these clips, do you use any hi or low cuts in the cab block or your DAW? or are these just straight up the way they load?

When you record these clips, do you use any hi or low cuts in the cab block or your DAW? or are these just straight up the way they load?
The only high and low passes I usually have are in the master bus of the mix. That will mostly not affect guitars as the low cut is at 30-40hz and high cut is at 16000-20000hz. It's not really restricting me since the way I get "my own sound" doesn't use low or high passing. I use the 111hz and 11111hz settings for live purposes only. The reason I emphasize this a bit is because I spend a lot of time getting the low end and presence area pleasant sounding. I know some IR's require filtering to make them work and this obviously depends from person to person and the gear they use as well. Some FRFR cabs have a harsh presence area as well so for that reason it's wise to low pass.

The only high and low passes I usually have are in the master bus of the mix. That will mostly not affect guitars as the low cut is at 30-40hz and high cut is at 16000-20000hz. It's not really restricting me since the way I get "my own sound" doesn't use low or high passing. I use the 111hz and 11111hz settings for live purposes only. The reason I emphasize this a bit is because I spend a lot of time getting the low end and presence area pleasant sounding. I know some IR's require filtering to make them work and this obviously depends from person to person and the gear they use as well. Some FRFR cabs have a harsh presence area as well so for that reason it's wise to low pass.
This is v helpful!

Back
Top Bottom