Cab Pack: ML Brit Collection II

Bigger bang for the buck might be neutral reference mic captures like an Earthworks. Then we could use the mic sims and get the U87 and other flavors that way.
I actually own a couple of reference mics that I use for making sure my live room and control room work correctly. I've definitely done the tests with them but we talked about it with FAS and came to the conclusion that the whole neutral mic with mic simulations is kind of an old phase in IR evolution. Not to say that you can't get good tones with them because you definitely can and there are some appreciated FAS artists using those mic sims to get their sound but I aim for 100% authenticity and people aren't really using these mics with guitar cabinets in "real life".

Do you know what's harder to find than a U87? A good U87 and a U87 that actually works. A producer friend of mine has bought a couple of vintage U87s and he said both of them were essentially not working properly which is normal. That being said it doesn't mean that they sound bad but I'd be super careful getting one of those and if I would have one.... let's just say that if you knew how loud my cabs are when I shoot IR's I wouldn't be too comfortable having that mic in the same room. :D

Last edited:
That sounds like a good compromise to me. Maybe it's best to reduce the overall IR number even more and add this one mic to the fold?

@Mikko: I think Redwirez has shot way too many IRs per mic & cab. So many details, it's really overdone. 800 IRs for 5 cabs is still excessive, in my opinion. That's 32 IRs per mic - assuming you're using 5 mics -, wouldn't 10 IRs per mic already suffice?

I know that Rosen Digital is on the other side of the specturm, delivering only 4-5 IRs per cab, but to be honest, sometimes that's enough. Many guys find a certain sweet spot for their mic and they use the same spot all the time, so it's not entierly insane just to provide a couple of IRs.

This, of course, is no criticism of your work, which is, qualitatively speaking, outstanding, it is merely a suggestion that you could use your time in a more efficient manner. I appreciate your efforts very much, it's just that, I think, it's overkill.

Have any of you guys used more than 300 IRs from the first Brit Collection pack? I know I haven't. It's usually enough to mix 4 almost random IRs with different mics and you're able to create a convicning mix with a bit of Cab Lab tweaking. With that being said, maybe I'm in the minority here?
None taken. I like the fact that IR producers are taking different approaches. That's what makes ever IR producer matter. We all think our approach is the best and we find people who agree with us and people who don't. That's a part of doing this. I also like seeing other producers reaching out to me asking about my approaches and adding them to their work. That's the highest compliment. :)

My approach has always come from thinking about the different use cases for IR's. I think being a hardcore Axe-Fx tweaker for almost 8 years now has been my strength especially since my IR's are only for Fractal users. Let's face it, we've always been ahead in modeling technology and we are the ones that made this industry realize the importance of IR technology. So I try to take account for:

A) The tweakers (like myself) who are obsessed with guitar tone and think there can never be too many options = hundreds of IR's to choose from.

B) The plug'n'play users who want good tones as quickly as possible and focus more on playing their instrument = Preset-Cab Bundles, Aces and Mixes to get you going in under a minute if you want to.

C) Everyone inbetween = Ace folders are good for people who want to mix but not go through hundreds of IR's.

:)

None taken. I like the fact that IR producers are taking different approaches. That's what makes ever IR producer matter. We all think our approach is the best and we find people who agree with us and people who don't. That's a part of doing this. I also like seeing other producers reaching out to me asking about my approaches and adding them to their work. That's the highest compliment. :)

My approach has always come from thinking about the different use cases for IR's. I think being a hardcore Axe-Fx tweaker for almost 8 years now has been my strength especially since my IR's are only for Fractal users. Let's face it, we've always been ahead in modeling technology and we are the ones that made this industry realize the importance of IR technology. So I try to take account for:

A) The tweakers (like myself) who are obsessed with guitar tone and think there can never be too many options = hundreds of IR's to choose from.

B) The plug'n'play users who want good tones as quickly as possible and focus more on playing their instrument = Preset-Cab Bundles, Aces and Mixes to get you going in under a minute if you want to.

C) Everyone inbetween = Ace folders are good for people who want to mix but not go through hundreds of IR's.

:)

Fair enough! I think you've struck a good balance between tweakers and plug n' players with your newest pack of 433 IRs. The best case scenario, for me, would be a collection of maybe 100 already mixed IRs, but that would leave the tweakers complaining, so I totally get your middle of the road approach!

As for the U87: I know that the old U87s are unreliable and it's hard to find them in a good condition without paying through your nose, but I was thinking about the newer U87Ai version. However, I understand your loudness concern regarding this mic; it's certainly no SM 57 :D

I was just recently checking out the new Valhallir test pack and I really liked the U87Ai IRs they've shot. I love the Redwirez U87 profiles as well, so it would be nice to see what kind of IRs you'd make with that particular mic...

The mikes we use at Valhallir.at are chosen by our "tech chief" Tom, who was developer for AKG for 18 years. He knows mikes. The U87ai has a really nice emphasis in the upper midrange, that really suits well for guitars, if you get the right angle. I'm more the dynamic guy (SM7B is my love) but the U87ai is niiiice.

I like the fact that IR producers are taking different approaches. That's what makes ever IR producer matter. We all think our approach is the best and we find people who agree with us and people who don't.

Well, that`s a good point. I don`t know, if every producer thinks, that his approach is the best, imo it`s more about a question of philosophy. And every producer should have their own philosophy which strictly guides him, how the final "Cab-Pack" should look like.

IMO, there are three main aspects:
1) approach of locating a mic. position and/or IR mix (approach of definition the term "sweet spot").
2) approach of the process from INPUT/OUTPUT data to a final IR.
3) approach of the "cab-pack" structure.

addendum to 1)
Do you believe, there is "the one" sweet spot? Or do you believe, the so called "sweet spot" is the spot, where in result a IR complement a given individual signal chain subjective best?

addendum to 2)
Do you looking for best possible accurateness and authenticy? If so, whats most important beside the "as clean as can be approach"? RT60 / RT80 paradigm? Including or excluding power amp influences and/or mic preamp coloration? Are room influences and so also IR length is legit and/or wanted or not?
Or do you look for a processing, which may end up in a IR, you think sounds "best" for the consumers signal chain? So, maybe post processing like EQing for adding more mids for example should be legit or not? Or cutting low-end or anything to support certain monitoring approaches better?

addendum to 3)
Are "bigger / more quantity" Packs better to support more choices [because of addendum 1) ] ?
Are "smaller / les quantity" Packs better to support less choices [because of addendum 1) ] ?
Are combined philosophies, like more quantity + a so called "Quick start" or "Ace" or "Overview" folder for plug & play guys are preferable? Or not?
Are single mics and / or ready-mixed IRs are to be preferd? Or both?
Are MPT or RAW IRs better? And when, under which circumstances?

So, to be honest: IMO it`s a question of philosophy and what you`re looking for. And this is in effect true for both sides: The producers AND the Users any IRs outside there.

It`s not the question who do the best IRs, IMO. There is no "the best". Is a Van better than a super sports car? Is a Mesa better, than a Marshall?
The best is, what works best for you. So - find it, use it. Be happy and do MUSIC!

Last edited:
:D You guys! Since this has essentially become an IR producer hangout... what's your favorite "Brit" speaker? :) For me it's a tie between the Rola Creamback G12H30 (CB from Brit Collection II) and the Pre-Rola 75hz Greenback from Cab Pack 20. Those are the two that just have "that historic sound" IMO. :)

G12H30 all the way for me. There is just a tint of nasal in a greenback that I don't like as much. I know for some that is really what they do like about the greenback, but the G12H30 is just a little smoother in that region.

G12H30 all the way for me. There is just a tint of nasal in a greenback that I don't like as much. I know for some that is really what they do like about the greenback, but the G12H30 is just a little smoother in that region.

+100

And haven't even tried the one in Brit II yet.

That Greenback nasality is kind of a Slash thing for me. (Just bought tickets to my first real GNR show!! Saw Axl's GNR in 2006.) Anyways I definitely think the Greenback has a strong character to it and with that nasality you have a lot of cut in the mix. That being said.. yeah it's all about the Creamback for me as well. It's just so round and pleasant sounding and hits "that spot" for me.

Actually the Blackback in this pack is also a G12H30 but with those silver caps that you can see being used by the legends in older pictures. For example these Aussie dudes:

acdc_76.jpg

Tonewise the Blackback with the silver caps is more of a scooped sound with a bigger but tighter low end response. It reminds me a lot of the ACDC Ballbreaker era f.ex:

For me it's the Rola Creamback G12H30 (CB from Brit Collection II) and the Pre-Rola 55hz Greenback from Cab Pack 20. But mainly at the moment the G12H30 from the Brit Collection II.
Those are the ones! :) Cliff said the 55hz Greenback from CP20 is his favorite. :)

Are "bigger / more quantity" Packs better to support more choices [because of addendum 1) ] ?
Are "smaller / les quantity" Packs better to support less choices [because of addendum 1) ] ?
Are combined philosophies, like more quantity + a so called "Quick start" or "Ace" or "Overview" folder for plug & play guys are preferable? Or not?
Are single mics and / or ready-mixed IRs are to be preferd? Or both?

I think the best approach for the packs is a combined philosophy in order to make happy all the user profiles: gigas of options and single mics for the tweakers who loves the rabbit hole, and quick start folder/ready mixed IRs for the plug and play users. For a good selection folder the ear and taste of the producer is crucial.

I've tried to read your text several times, Markus. And I changed the word IR with FART. And it was a whole lot more fun to read. ;-)

GENIUS

Last edited:
Been using these for a week or so and enjoying them. Like the fact that you had premade mixes of each types. As others have stated there is a skill to mixing the cabinets and I like the fact that there are some already there. By the way, your video of you in the studio was what finally sold me on them. Nice work.

Been using these for a week or so and enjoying them. Like the fact that you had premade mixes of each types. As others have stated there is a skill to mixing the cabinets and I like the fact that there are some already there. By the way, your video of you in the studio was what finally sold me on them. Nice work.
That's good to hear. :) Seems like everyone is happy with the pack so far.

To any of the IR producers here, we just recently acquired this two preamps, the Chandlers and the NEVE. We have tested them both on a speech recording using a multiplier distributor connection in our patchbay that sent the mic signal (U87) to a API, a Focusrite ISA828, a Neve 512, an Avalon, the Chandler and the Neve 1073LB. The Classic Neve Pre was a true revelation of a magic preamp to us, we have always favored the API, but man this Neve sounds super warm and detailed in the upper mids, i love it. Since its so new to us we have not had a chance yet to test it on guitars, so my question for you guys is, have you tried it out with cabinets? if so, what's your opinion of it?

The Chandler has a killer saturation that will probably give something extra to an already distorted sound i'm guessing....

Thanks.

31465251591_101020bb79_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom