Cab Pack 13: USA Bulb VS Cab Pack 7: USA Trad

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
VS.png

It's always the Supersize Bulb cab first and then the Traditional cabinet plays the same exact loop through the same amp settings.

These are the IRs that I use the most out of these packs. Both are SM57-MD421 Alloy IRs that fit my criteria "best". Essentially these are the million dollar IRs for me personally. :D

So even though these are 4x12 "USA" cabs with V30s they sound completely different. I use Cab Pack 7 with the USA Lead amp sims since it has that "Cream Theatre sizzle" but other than that I'm mostly using USA Bulb at the moment. It seems to make everything sound smooth.

Opinions?

Just under 8gb and over 100k files in my IR collections folder. Of course, this still includes the zipped files for most of the various cab packs.

So, um, yeah... swimming, nay drowning in IRs here.

Now, if only time wasn't a factor.

Arghhh!!! I told myself I wouldn't do it, and I've been able to resist for the past 8 days. But tonight I pulled the trigger on Cab Pack 13, and within 5 minutes in the Ace folder I found two perfect IR's for my 5153 patch.

Now, I'm pouring cement on the rabbit hole and never going back down there........hopefully :lol

Is the "Ace folder" a folder of "maximised/optimised" IRs, Mikko? I dunno if you recall, but I am after those, not the various ones for manual mixing. If that's the case I'll definitely grab 13 (and maybe some others you've done!

Ive had my XL+ a few months now and never purchased a cab pack! I know shocking huh :) So I play anythibng from blues soft rock to thrashy type metal, metallica sound etc. Theres so many cab packs with so many options I dont know where to start and im trying to avoid that rabbit hole! cab pack 13 has got my attention would that be a good first pack for my musical taste? I know really only I can answer that but input is welcomed.
Thanks

Alan

VS.png

It's always the Supersize Bulb cab first and then the Traditional cabinet plays the same exact loop through the same amp settings.

These are the IRs that I use the most out of these packs. Both are SM57-MD421 Alloy IRs that fit my criteria "best". Essentially these are the million dollar IRs for me personally. :D

So even though these are 4x12 "USA" cabs with V30s they sound completely different. I use Cab Pack 7 with the USA Lead amp sims since it has that "Cream Theatre sizzle" but other than that I'm mostly using USA Bulb at the moment. It seems to make everything sound smooth.

Opinions?

I liked both of them and really cant say which one is better or what not..., to me each one of them has it's own character and personality !,
on the other hand I'm a big fan of Grimm Theater and Lamp guy tone as well ;), you know... I had some ideas for creating a certain tone for our album with a penumbra of Chocolate Cake guy N Lamp guy tone with my own ideas, and now I think I have a wide range of colors in order to painting on my canvas and see what happen in the scenario of creating tone with ML SOUND LAB IRs !! ;).

I think these IRs works very well with my BNP JuggerNOTS ;)

I'm totally with ya LoPaN - Ive put it off and put it off - finally just jumped in started with Cab Pack 13 yep finally bought one. I'd say Just do it ! Been auditioning cabs for the last hrs. First impressions ML cab pack 13 are very well balanced tonally bass mid treb all right there neither overrides the other . Some a little too bright for my taste perhaps. Question cab pack 13 owners: What are the more darker , bass thumpy cabs ? I guess I'm looking for a darker thumpy , tight Euro ENGL? cab type tone ? Or do I need another cab pack for that UGH.

First of all: I wish I always got this much feedback for all my clips! :lol

This is great, and really helpful. 13 is clearly a winner.

Cool pima! I've been using Cab Pack 7 as my safety net for so long that it will be hard to say anything bad about it ever but there's no way around it really - this "Supersize" cab has a deeper more pleasant voicing to it at least in this context. Cab Pack 7 has "that" sizzle that John Patitucci has in his bass tone. I'm a huge fan of that sound. However I'm also a fan of every Messy Doobie numetal clip I ever hear and the "Supersize" is definitely the right choice for that one. Let's just say that I'm lucky we don't have to decide! I'm going to start blending these two together. :lol

I'm totally with ya LoPaN - Ive put it off and put it off - finally just jumped in started with Cab Pack 13 yep finally bought one. I'd say Just do it ! Been auditioning cabs for the last hrs. First impressions ML cab pack 13 are very well balanced tonally bass mid treb all right there neither overrides the other . Some a little too bright for my taste perhaps. Question cab pack 13 owners: What are the more darker , bass thumpy cabs ? I guess I'm looking for a darker thumpy , tight Euro ENGL? cab type tone ? Or do I need another cab pack for that UGH.

Try the SM57-R121 alloys. Those are the more bassier ones. This pack is definitely one of the bassier packs I've made. SM57-R121 03 is one that I seem to be using a lot.

Well I just put down money on Cab pack 13. I couldnt stand it any longer. BTW 13 does sound better. I feel like i am drowning in IRs now.

Haha! If you ever feel like the amount of IRs is getting to be too much stick to the Alloy folders. Alloy Aces SM57-MD421 02 and SM57-R121 03 were the two IRs that passed my tests as the final top 2 Alloys I've ever made. ;)

So, is the cab that is in the Bulb pack for sale? Or is it some rare cab?

This Bulb USA cab is the old cab that's most likely from around the year 2000 or so. 70w custom Messy Doobie Vintage 30 speakers have not been made in a loooooong time. There are many of those in professional studios ofcourse but if you've bought your Messy cab new approximately during the last 10 years or so then it's most likely power rated at 240w and has the 60w speakers in it.

Just under 8gb and over 100k files in my IR collections folder. Of course, this still includes the zipped files for most of the various cab packs.

So, um, yeah... swimming, nay drowning in IRs here.

Now, if only time wasn't a factor.

:lol I had to check mine and it was 15,7Gb with 350.000 files... and that doesn't include any of the ML Sound Lab files. That folder is over 30Gb for very obvious reasons. ;)

Is the "Ace folder" a folder of "maximised/optimised" IRs, Mikko? I dunno if you recall, but I am after those, not the various ones for manual mixing. If that's the case I'll definitely grab 13 (and maybe some others you've done!

Yes the Ace folder includes the "scientifically" best single mic IRs and also Alloy IRs. The Alloy Aces folder has been extended a bit for this pack mainly because there were so many good ones.

Not sure if you saw the last episode but I put the Alloy Aces folder of this Cab Pack to the test and I'm capable of making any IR sound pretty damn good:

Ive had my XL+ a few months now and never purchased a cab pack! I know shocking huh :) So I play anythibng from blues soft rock to thrashy type metal, metallica sound etc. Theres so many cab packs with so many options I dont know where to start and im trying to avoid that rabbit hole! cab pack 13 has got my attention would that be a good first pack for my musical taste? I know really only I can answer that but input is welcomed.
Thanks

Alan

Three months?! Don't you have blue... user amp slots? :lol

I guess Chris Broderick just made Cab Pack 8 the official thrash metal Cab Pack. :) So if you like the sound in this video it might be your best bet.

Personally I use it as my "vintage" Cab Pack:

Cab Pack 13 is way darker than Cab Pack 8. So my suggestion would be Cab Pack 8 based on the genres you mentioned and Broderick getting one of the best thrash guitar tones I've ever heard with that pack. :)

Love the sounds in those videos! so now my new addiction begins starting with cab pack 8! when I had tube heads I got rather carried away buying tubes, now I fear im replacing that with a new addiction lol

Thanks for the info as usual these forums are invaluable to me!

Back
Top Bottom