Cab Pack 11 and 12 Released

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
All,

Two new cab packs have been released in our store today.

Cab Pack 11 features the ML SV Bass 4x10, based on an Ampeg™ 4x10 SVT® 410 bass cab.
Cab Pack 12 features the ML 5153 4x12, based on an EVH™ 5150III® 4x12 Straight Cabinet loaded with Signature Celestion® G12EVH™ speakers.

These packs were produced and engineered by Mikko Logrén of ML SOUND LAB (formerly known as "Clark Kent").

Check them out at http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Software_Downloads_s/54.htm

Share your clips below. We'll let Mikko choose one person to receive a free copy of whatever he does next.

--

I AM CLARK KENT!!!! Get used to recognizing this new nick name. :) You can call me Mikko though.

Yes!! Finally!! :) This will be a long post since I've been working so hard on these packs and there's just so much information that I want to give you guys.

I just want to make it clear that when we're talking about these packs coming out "soon" and it takes a while it actually means that we're making the extra effort to ensure these IRs are perfect. The 5153 was quite a motherload of IRs for me personally since I shot over 2000 IRs of that cab. Getting that number down means that some proper ones are not included but at the same time it means that all of the IRs that are included have passed extremely extensive testing meaning it is really easy for you to get a really good guitar sound.

I'll post some clips of these Cab Packs in here for you guys. It's a tease for sure so sorry for that. :D

In this clip I wanted to show you guys what the effect of using the 5153 Cab Pack with an 5153 amp sim has. Essentially it makes it sound more Marshally. Although the amp has a lot more gain than Marshalls you still get that chewy, juicy, rich chord definition that makes you love open chords again. Take a listen! And by the way this is the 50W 5153 Blue channel with default stock settings so everything is at 5. No tweaking required. For other amps the 5153 kind of lowers the gain but still makes them sound more modern. F.ex. take a vintage Marshall sound and the 5153 will make it sound almost Boogie-ish. I will talk about this more later on. :)

This next clip is more of a metal/djent type of tone and I'm actually using both of these Cab Packs for this sound. Once again it's so friggin cool how these chords with many notes ring out. Works perfectly in a djent kind of way also as you can hear in this clip. The SV Bass is in a supportive role in this mix which was an intentional choice. My quick tip for that Cab Pack is that if you want a fatter tone (like I have in these clips) blend mics together or use one of the mixes that I've made for you guys. If you want more clarity then it's better not to have too many mics. Obviously as an audio engineer I believe that every instrument has it's own place in a mix so I have no problems with blending many mics for a full and fat bass tone. :)

More bass! In this one you can really hear the character of the SV Bass Cab Pack. It fills the whole mix and there is 0% post processing in this clip. I have a separated clip of this song in my soundcloud if you're interested. This is the SV Bass amp sim with quite a lot of drive and a fuzz drive for that intro tone. My aim was to create these IRs so people would stop thinking that DI bass is the industry standard. I'm extremely confident I achieved that. When ever I'm mixing new bands I usually always struggle with bass and have to separate bass tracks into low frequencies and high frequencies to make it work in a mix. That's not the case anymore. :)

Here's a cleaner bass tone and I even isolated some parts so you can really hear how the bass sounds in the mix and outside of it. I love RHCP and I'm no Flea but I remember recording this track and thinking that playing this genre is so fun that I want to be a bass player in a 90s band. :lol

From an audio engineer perspective I think the SV Bass is a perfect match with Cab Pack 9. This was actually a result of extensive testing of all of the Cab Packs I've shot. Essentially the SV Bass Cab Pack mixes give you that fat low end and almost forces your bass sound to be where bass "should be". (no bass player jokes here :) ) Well the guitar equivalent for taking "it's own place in a mix" would be Cab Pack 9 Euro which doesn't have a huge low end but more of a woody mid heavy character. A lot of 500hz and 4khz which are frequencies where nothing else really sounds good. So if you're really interested in getting super tight mixes where you can hear all instruments take a listen to how these two blend together. :) If you're having problems with space for bass in a mix I suggest you try this combination out.

I hope this doesn't come across as a rant. I'm just so excited that these are finally out for you guys to try! :)

All clips sound badass Mikko, always great work man!!!!

Thank you so much! That really means a lot. :) I've worked really hard on these. The best way for me to go through the IRs is by recording clips and tweaking the Axe-Fx and going through all the options is a long process but the end result hopefully speaks for itself. :)

Guys... I WANT TO HEAR A LOT OF CLIPS!!! :D

Share your clips below. We'll let Mikko choose one person to receive a free copy of whatever he does next.

--

Well I'm going to make sure what's next will be awesome. I guess I could up the ante by giving out that free copy before it's even officially out? :O

Congratulations Mikko for getting in the FAS team! Great (Clark Kent) job! :encouragement:

The 5153 cab pack will go in my shopping cart right away. Sounded great on your clips.

Congrats on the new release, new logo, and even the new pro-sounding nickname. We'll sure remember you as Clark Kent, and I'll probably be picking up both of these very soon (although I might try to put it off until my classes wrap up in 2 1/2 weeks to avoid too much distraction.)

Back
Top Bottom