Cab m+

Anybody use a cab m+ with their fractal unit? The cable I've found in the fm3 don't sound quite as "alive" to my ears compared to the two notes stuff. I ordered a cab m and was planning on using in the fm3 effects loop. Sick of loading up my daw for WOS anytime I want to play. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have tried/bought many 3rd party ir's over the years, I just find that the two notes sound better. Just a humble opinion.
bummer they don't sell their IRs separately but I guess they have their "dynIR" secret sauce in there that needs the hardware - maybe replicable in FM3 somehow - perhaps try futzing with the speaker page settings. I was noodling today with an amp/cab w 3rd pty IR and found that choosing a compatible IC but then turning the hi / lo resonance down to 1/2 or 1/3 of stock settings (and removing hi/lo cut in the cab block) gave me the awesome sound I was looking for - this worked for me on other IR/IC combos as well as I tend to find the stock lo / hi res settings on the stock ICs too much.

bummer they don't sell their IRs separately but I guess they have their "dynIR" secret sauce in there that needs the hardware - maybe replicable in FM3 somehow - perhaps try futzing with the speaker page settings. I was noodling today with an amp/cab w 3rd pty IR and found that choosing a compatible IC but then turning the hi / lo resonance down to 1/2 or 1/3 of stock settings (and removing hi/lo cut in the cab block) gave me the awesome sound I was looking for - this worked for me on other IR/IC combos as well as I tend to find the stock lo / hi res settings on the stock ICs too much.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a go, I've got some time to kill anyway before the cab m arrives. Yeah, it's a bummer you need the hardware for their ir's. Kinda like you need fractal hardware for their modeling. 🙃

It is totally possible, anything that has an input and an output can have a sample sound run thru it for capture purposes.
It will not capture all the possible settings, which is why people end with huge folders of IRs all in a range - BUT if you have a dialed in favorite sound or two, that could capture a lot of it. If you love the Two notes sounds and own their stuff, it's worth a try to lug less to gigs.

I'd be shocked if someone else hadn't done it. It's a shady area, ethically to sell any TN captures, but is or isn't legal depending on what country you live in, so I doubt anyone is reselling it, but someone is probably giving some of it away on forums.

I love enough of the stock Fractal IRs that its not a curiosity for me. A good 4x12 GB cab is all I need and a few minutes to get it dialed in.

Last edited:
Kinda like you need fractal hardware for their modeling. 🙃
Not sure I get this comment. Keeping the discussion about IR’s which is what I thought this thread was about, Fractal uses the standard .wav format. They just need to be in a the common sysex format which can be done easily and free with something like Cab Lab.

Update:
Considering the cost of that gadget I have a feeling you’re going to be disappointed with it in the FX loop of the FM3. Almost like building a Rube Goldberg device.

Last edited:
It is totally possible, anything that has an input and an output can have a sample sound run thru it for capture purposes.
It will not capture all the possible settings, which is why people end with huge folders of IRs all in a range - BUT if you have a dialed in favorite sound or two, that could capture a lot of it. If you love the Two notes sounds and own their stuff, it's worth a try to lug less to gigs.

I'd be shocked if someone else hadn't done it. It's a shady area, ethically to sell any TN captures, but is or isn't legal depending on what country you live in, so I doubt anyone is reselling it, but someone is probably giving some of it away on forums.

I love enough of the stock Fractal IRs that its not a curiosity for me. A good 4x12 GB cab is all I need and a few minutes to get it dialed in.
Ah, got it. Maybe I'll give that a shot with some of my cabs in the wos plugin
Not sure I get this comment. Keeping the discussion about IR’s which is what I thought this thread was about, Fractal uses the standard .wav format. They just need to be in a the common sysex format which can be done easily and free with something like Cab Lab.

Update:
Considering the cost of that gadget I have a feeling you’re going to be disappointed with it in the FX loop of the FM3. Almost like building a Rube Goldberg device.
Thanks for the input. I mentioned before that you need two notes hardware to use their cabs. Their ir's are proprietary and can't be exported in the traditional sense. I'll see what I can do to capture the cab from the wos plugin but I'm not sure what the results will be. It may lose some of the mojo but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the input. I mentioned before that you need two notes hardware to use their cabs. Their ir's are proprietary and can't be exported in the traditional sense. I'll see what I can do to capture the cab from the wos plugin but I'm not sure what the results will be. It may lose some of the mojo but I'll give it a shot.
I was referring to, and correcting your comment which seemed to be inferring or conflating that Fractal also uses a proprietary format for IR’s. Obviously “modeling algorithms” are going to be proprietary. Otherwise It would be a very, very generous business model.😉
Yeah, it's a bummer you need the hardware for their ir's. Kinda like you need fractal hardware for their modeling. 🙃

I was referring to, and correcting your comment which seemed to be inferring or conflating that Fractal also uses a proprietary format for IR’s. Obviously “modeling algorithms” are going to be proprietary. Otherwise It would be a very, very generous business model.😉
I was referring to two notes ir's and fractal's amp modeling. Yes, both proprietary. I do realize that fractal's cabs use an open format so to speak.

I have the torpedo CAB pedal (1st gen) and have used it to run out of the FM3 and into it. It sounds great and saves a good amount of cpu in the process as I also use the reverb in the CAB as well, but it’s one extra thing to plug in and take with you.

I have the torpedo CAB pedal (1st gen) and have used it to run out of the FM3 and into it. It sounds great and saves a good amount of cpu in the process as I also use the reverb in the CAB as well, but it’s one extra thing to plug in and take with you.
This is great to hear. Thanks for the reply! The reverb on board is a bonus for cpu overhead, though I'll be using it in the fx loop and I don't prefer to run my reverb before my delays. Unfortunately I won't get that benefit.

Follow up - after using it for a few weeks, I can report that it's hard to overstate my satisfaction. Works awesome.
Sorry, this is a VERY late reply… but are you using the CAB M+ as an effects loop block of the FM3, bypassing the FM3 cab, and this works awesome?

Just curious because I’m interested on the CAB M+ to pair with some of my old rack pre-amps and experiment it also with my Axe Fx II.

Last edited:
Follow up - after using it for a few weeks, I can report that it's hard to overstate my satisfaction. Works awesome.
Or do you disable the Power Amp section of the [AMP] + disable the [CAB] block?

Just curious for the best way to get the best possible sound :)

Last edited:
I used a torpedo live before. Really really great tool.

But I don’t think it will be better than the fractal especially now with the dynacabs and more with CabLab 4

I used a torpedo live before. Really really great tool.

But I don’t think it will be better than the fractal especially now with the dynacabs and more with CabLab 4
Thanks for the input!

Just out of curiosity… do you know if CabLab 4 works with the Axe Fx II (the original/Mark I)? I didn’t found any definitive answer on Google…

Back
Top Bottom