cab-lab with Ax8

I've been playing around with Cab-Lab-Lite (3.2.0), and it seems quite useful, aside from one annoyance. I cannot run Cab-Lab-Lite and Ax8-Edit at the same time. Whichever I open first retains its' connection with the Ax8, and the other never connects until the one with the connection is closed (even pausing Ax8 edit doesn't allow cab-lab to connect).

The Cab-Lab 3 manual (for the full, standalone version) states "you can even run Axe-Edit at the same time if desired." It doesn't make any mention of Ax8 or Ax8-Edit whatsoever. So, I'm wondering if (a) this feature is unique to the combination of Cab-Lab and Axe-Edit, and Ax8-Edit simply cannot be used simultaneously with Cab-Lab; (b) this feature is unique to the full version of Cab-Lab, and not Cab-Lab-Lite -- the full standalone version of Cab-Lab and Ax8-Edit can be used simultaneously; or (c) Cab-Lab-Lite and Axe-Edit should be able to be used simultaneously, and something else is going wrong.

Same problem here... and I have the full version of cab lab. Was quite annoying to work with both at the same time.

Thanks, its helpful to know that it isn't just my system, and that it isn't just the lite version. I wonder if this is something that will be addressed in the (hopefully near) future, or if it will remain exclusive to the AxeFxII.

You answered your own question with scenario A.

The AX8 is a USB 1.0 device and uses the operating system's driver. As a result, the connection to the device is on a first come, first serve basis. So, no you are not supposed to be able to use them simultaneously.

That is disappointing, but I appreciate the response. May I recommend updating the cab-lab page on the website, as well as the manual, to indicate what it can and can't do with the Ax8?

As a workaround, would it be possible to add a "disconnect/reconnect" function (mapped to a shortcut key) to both Ax8-Edit and Cab-Lab? Similar to the "pause" button in Ax8-Edit, but fully relinquishing the connection, and then automatically attempting to reconnect after a few seconds. That way, you could have them both open, for example with Ax8-Edit currently holding the connection to the Ax8, hit the disconnect shortcut; Cab-Lab would then successfully connect (as it does now as soon as Ax8 is closed). Then, when ready to jump back to Ax8-Edit, hit the shortcut from within Cab-Lab so that it drops its connection long enough for Ax8-Edit to inherit the connection. That would be at least a little less tedious than having to continuously open and close the two in succession.

As a workaround, would it be possible to add a "disconnect/reconnect" function (mapped to a shortcut key) to both Ax8-Edit and Cab-Lab? Similar to the "pause" button in Ax8-Edit, but fully relinquishing the connection, and then automatically attempting to reconnect after a few seconds. That way, you could have them both open, for example with Ax8-Edit currently holding the connection to the Ax8, hit the disconnect shortcut; Cab-Lab would then successfully connect (as it does now as soon as Ax8 is closed). Then, when ready to jump back to Ax8-Edit, hit the shortcut from within Cab-Lab so that it drops its connection long enough for Ax8-Edit to inherit the connection. That would be at least a little less tedious than having to continuously open and close the two in succession.

Good idea but if that type of functionality is added then it's only a matter of time before it is requested in Fractal-Bot as well (or even future products that don't exist yet). Then how do you handle the scenario of someone running Cab-Lab, AX8-Edit, and Fractal-Bot at the same time and wanting to switch between them (someone will do it)? The re-connection must be done manually which you can already do. As the applications currently operate you do not need to open and close them to switch from one to the other. Cab-Lab has the Connect->Disconnect menu option that fully disconnects from the driver. Although AX8-Edit does not have a similar "disconnect" menu option you can go to Settings -> Preferences and set the Ports to <<none>>. Same goes for Fractal-Bot. Once you disconnect from a given application you will then be required to manually connect with another application. Sounds tedious but we can't make the assumption that everyone will use the applications the same way. The best case scenario IMHO is adding a 'disconnect' option to AX8-Edit but that's a question for @FractalAudio, @Admin M@, or @Michael Pickens.

That is disappointing, but I appreciate the response. May I recommend updating the cab-lab page on the website, as well as the manual, to indicate what it can and can't do with the Ax8?

An updated manual is in the works. Also, where did you see it mentioned on the website? I don't see anything about Axe-Edit on the product page or the sales page.

An updated manual is in the works. Also, where did you see it mentioned on the website? I don't see anything about Axe-Edit on the product page or the sales page.

I didn't see anything specifically mentioned on the website, which is my point. After looking over both the website and the manual, I could find no indication of if or how Cab-Lab works with Ax8 and Ax8-edit and, as I discovered, it isn't the case that one can just assume that whatever is said about its use with Axe-FxII/Axe-Edit applies to Ax8/Ax8-Edit. So clarification on that front would be helpful (personally, I'd recommend at least a brief summary on the web page, but obviously more detailed discussion in the manual).

Good idea but if that type of functionality is added then it's only a matter of time before it is requested in Fractal-Bot as well (or even future products that don't exist yet). Then how do you handle the scenario of someone running Cab-Lab, AX8-Edit, and Fractal-Bot at the same time and wanting to switch between them (someone will do it)? The re-connection must be done manually which you can already do. As the applications currently operate you do not need to open and close them to switch from one to the other. Cab-Lab has the Connect->Disconnect menu option that fully disconnects from the driver. Although AX8-Edit does not have a similar "disconnect" menu option you can go to Settings -> Preferences and set the Ports to <<none>>. Same goes for Fractal-Bot. Once you disconnect from a given application you will then be required to manually connect with another application. Sounds tedious but we can't make the assumption that everyone will use the applications the same way. The best case scenario IMHO is adding a 'disconnect' option to AX8-Edit but that's a question for @FractalAudio, @Admin M@, or @Michael Pickens.

It's obviously your (Fractal's) call to make, but I see no reason why adding one particular piece of functionality obligates you to extend that to everything. Like everything, it seems like a matter of whether the added value justifies the resources needed to make it happen. Personally, I see simultaneous use of Cab-Lab and Ax8-Edit as MUCH more useful than running Fractal-Bot simultaneously with the others. I see the functionality of Cab-Lab as essentially an expansion of the cab block itself. Tweaking the selected/mixed cab in tandem with changes to the amp block, EQs, the filter settings within the cab block itself, etc. seems to go hand-in-hand to me. I assume that is the reason that simultaneous use of Cab-Lab and Axe-Edit is specifically discussed in the Cab-Lab manual. The existing options get the job done, but its a tedious workflow (IMHO). In any event, I sense a lack of enthusiasm for the idea, and perhaps I'm one of a very few users who would like to use the two in that manner, so I don't anticipate it being a priority. But I do believe that tighter/smoother integration or transitioning between Ax8-Edit and Cab-Lab would be very useful.

I asked in a different thread but it never got answered - what does the Cab Lab / AX8 integration currently look like?

What's the workflow for mixing/auditioning a cab mix?

If you set the cab on your patch to scratchpad (1 or 2), you can open CabLab (I only tried the lite version) and audition different cabs through scratchpad. But Ax8edit needs to be closed or at least paused.

So just to clarify how this works for the AX8, you can play through the AX8 and cab lab changes can be heard? No audio interface needed?

Awesome thanks, I just purchased the stand alone version. What a pain iLok is! Jeez, I'd rather have a dongle then deal with all that.

Back
Top Bottom