Cab-Lab & Stock Cabs

New AxeFX3 owner here and first post to this forum.

I purchased Cablab yesterday, and I'm not sure that it is able to do the one thing that I was hoping that it could: mix stock IRs with my existing 3d party IRs. I have used mixIR for years, as I've always mixed cabs. But, it doesn't appear that Cablab allows stock IRs to be thrown into the mix. If I can only mix 3d party IRs, then I could have continued using mixIR. Am I missing something here?

the stock cab Its in the axeFX III cannot be extracted to your computer, so you can't use software on the computer to mix them with other IRs. the axe III is designed around the assumption that you'll mix cabs inside the cab block

a lot of the IRs in the axe III are/were commercially available, so my guess is that fractal paid for a license to have them on the axeFX but not a license to take them off and use them elsewhere.

New AxeFX3 owner here and first post to this forum.

I purchased Cablab yesterday, and I'm not sure that it is able to do the one thing that I was hoping that it could: mix stock IRs with my existing 3d party IRs. I have used mixIR for years, as I've always mixed cabs. But, it doesn't appear that Cablab allows stock IRs to be thrown into the mix. If I can only mix 3d party IRs, then I could have continued using mixIR. Am I missing something here?

There is a work around that allows you to mix from within the cab block and then use the tone match block to save that as an IR. Someone mentioned it the other day, but I don't remember where.

You can tonematch the stock cabs and export them and then mix them... But mixing them directly in the cab block is a lot easier

I did the same thing when I bought it. I made the same assumption. I guess it’s fairly common. Maybe Fractal should add a statement on the Cablab purchase page so no one expects they can use the cabs from the 3 without purchasing all the packs.

Yes, you can capture the factory cabs with a ToneMatch block and export them to the hard drive to use with CabLab. But it is easier to mix at the Axe-FX III CAB block.

Instructions for exporting Factory CABs or CAB mixes: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/muting-cabs-not-in-use.145551/#post-1721489

I find CabLab 3 an useless tool because Live Mode is not working. I raised that issue a long time ago, but nobody has yet confirmed if it is properly working for them or not.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-what-are-the-advantages-of-cab-lab-3.144996/

Last edited:
Thanks Piing. I agree that mixing with the CAB block is easier, but if you want to include L & R room IRs, you're down to just two cab IRs in the mix.

While I don't know what your experience with Live Mode is, what I found when using it with 3d party IRs is that it sounded nothing like having the same cab IRs loaded into the CAB block in the Axe. I could slide the fader all the way to the left in Cablab, and it would sound harsh (as one would expect when completely eliminating the cab), but even as I moved the slider to the right, while the tone changed somewhat, the cabless harshness remained, even if I low-passed below 5K. Given this issue, I can't use Cablab to mix my existing 3d party IRs. So, it's back to the CAB block . . .

Back
Top Bottom