Cab-Lab 3 Tip

Chronos

Experienced
The new features of Live Mode and time alignment along with turning off minimum phase allow for easy fine tuning of your impulse collection. If anyone is familiar with the pink noise method for stereo microphone placement on a speaker cab then you should be able to apply this to finding the perfect time alignment spot easily. You will not however need pink noise for this specifically.

With Live Mode running load up two impulses you want to time align and turn off the processing of minimum phase. Then, switch the phase on one of the impulses to create a really weak and "tinny" sound. With the second impulse start adjusting the time while playing anything through your preset, and listen to when it becomes the absolute quietest it can get. Reverse the phase back to normal on the first impulse and you now have your two impulses perfectly time aligned.

This is great for anyone looking to get the sound you get from having two impulses that are perfectly time and phase aligned without having to guess by looking at the plot. It can also be a starting point if you would like to then adjust it out of phase slightly by ear to "thicken" it up a bit.

Note that if the timing is too far off on the pair of impulses you wish to align you will need to set the processing to Auto-Trim.

Edit: I rarely play purely clean tones and having driven patches were the reason I realize I could do this by ear easily without pink noise. For anyone playing on a cleaner patch add a Synth block after the amp and change the effect to pink noise before attempting to align impulses by ear.

Last edited:
This was a huge discovery for me when mic'ing real cabs! For some reason it's easier for me to tell what's "worse" than to make a definite decision on whats "better". I've applied this philosophy to EQ when I'm sweeping around too. Boost by an absurd amount, and then sweep for the worst parts of the sound and then cut, as opposed to boosting what sounds best. It's saved me from the paralysis of analysis and allows me to spend more time actually making music. Think I picked this up from Mixerman

I wish I could find a way to use this when micing snare drums too, lol. I've even thought of building a sub kick into a snare shell to give it a go, but speakers and acoustic drums are apples and oranges so I've never really gotten it off the ground.

I don't plan on making a video on this exactly, but Clark Kent made a video detailing how to time align impulses that's superb that can be found on these forums.

You can use the Synth block in the Axe-Fx to generate pink noise.

Would be great if we could plug in an RTA mic into the Axe III, generate white noise, sample the frequencies on/off axis, display the freq curve for room, and allow us to flatten out one or more outputs from the system!

Back
Top Bottom