Cab-Lab 3.3.0 Released!

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
All,

Cab-Lab 3.3.0 has been released and is now in our store. If you are already using an older 3.x version, the Standalone should detect the update automatically and prompt you (or you can choose Help | Check for Updates to do this manually). In the plugin, you must manually click Help | Check for Updates.

If you already have Cab-Lab 3 authorized you will not need to re-authorize for this update. Existing Cab-Lab 3 activation codes can also be used for a fresh install of 3.3.0. If you are are still running version 2, there has never been a better time to step up to version 3. Purchase your activation code at https://shop.fractalaudio.com/Plugins_and_Software_s/56.htm

Here are the release notes:
  • Added UltraRes™ 2.0 support.
    • UltraRes™ 2.0 is the next level of evolution for our patent-pending speaker simulation technology, with even greater accuracy than the original version. UltraRes™ 2.0 cab files are backwards compatible with previous Axe-Fx and AX8 firmwares supporting UltraRes™ 1.0.
  • Fixed bug where the UltraRes symbol Ⓤ was not displaying.
  • Connectivity improvements.
  • Added support for IR Smoothing—an effect very similar to the “Dephase” parameter found on some Fractal products, though not quite as pronounced.
Fractal_Audio_Systems_-_Cab-Lab_3.jpg

Matt, is it possible to export any cabs I have used dephase for on MY Axe XL into my AX8 with this program? Basically export all the settings from a cab as a new cab that AX8 can use?

How do we know if an IR is UR 2.0 versus 1.0?
I'm still a little foggy on the whole notion, I thought UR 2.0 was just a minor thing, not a significant upgrade.

Thanks! I just realized my plugin never updated from the last ones and I was still on 3.0! There was no plugin help menu on that one and I had to download the whole bundle again. I haven't even used the plugin version yet, but I plan to in the next couple weeks.

Should we reprocess "old" wav's and/or ir's?

The data is captured in the .wav so the .syx processing can't add anything extra / special / UltraRes 2.0 secret sauce?

I would think UltraRes 2.0 applies to capture where the information is initially captured and stored. If starting from a .wav file, then UltraRes 2.0 doesn't come into play??

The data is captured in the .wav so the .syx processing can't add anything extra / special / UltraRes 2.0 secret sauce?

I would think UltraRes 2.0 applies to capture where the information is initially captured and stored. If starting from a .wav file, then UltraRes 2.0 doesn't come into play??
I went through all of my wav/ir/syx files, back to about CabPack 3, which was when Ultrares first started becoming a thing, and reprocessed them. I first deleted my older unzipped sub-directories, then expanded the original zipped files, and reprocessed them, using CabLab 3.3.0. I'm not using many multi-cab mixes, so this was not a biggie, for me; if you have a lot of personal mixes, don't do this.

It sounded to me like there was more clarity and definition. This is not a "measured", quantitative evaluation - I don't have recordings using both methods, with frequency analysis, etc. Could be a placebo - could be I heard what I wanted to hear - don't know. I did feel like this made an improvement in the overall tones.

Last edited:

I hope not, but it's possible it's an input based tech. We don't know yet if it can/needs a longer wav file or if you can use existing wav files. I'm sure more info will emerge tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looks like based off of this old Quantum 2.0 thread...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-public-beta-deux.109702/page-19#post-1314753

that the tech is on the processing of the file and improvements on the processing algorithm vs. anything to do on the capture side (besides continued mic capture technique improvements). So...seems like reprocessing with 3.3 will indeed give you the 2.0 improvements.

api4u...looks like you got something a touch better by reprocessing.

Thanks, mtmartin71 - that's helpful. I replaced all of my user cabs from about mid-2014 on with re-processed files, using Cab-Lab 3.3.0, and I believe they do have more detail; I didn't bother with the earlier cabs, as they were pre-UltraRes, and probably would not benefit greatly from a reprocess.

Here's how I went about it, in case anyone wants to try it:

1. Export a cab list using Axe-Edit. Tools>Export as Text

2. Delete all the cab sub-directories that I wanted to reprocess, so I could decompress them from the original zipped files.This created new sub-directories, with the original unprocessed WAV files.

3. Reprocess these new sub-directories, using Cab-Lab 3.3.0

4. Replace each of the cabs in my User Cabs with the newly reprocessed files, using Axe-Edit>Tools>Axe-Manage Cabs. I kept a spreadsheet list up of the exported text file list (from step 1) of my user cabs open, and each time I replaced one, I highlighted it on the list, so I could keep track of which ones were the old, and which were reprocessed.

These do seem better in my home studio environment; not sure if it would be worth the trouble for a band environment with a lot of instruments, or muddied tones, but probably would still be useful in a 3 or 4-piece gig, or a solo setup onstage.

It's an improvement. Technology marches on...

I'm curious to know what exacly was improved (if that's no company secret ;)), because:
I redid a few cab mixes with Cablab 3.3.0 and they sound exacly the same as the earlier mixes (at least to my ears :D). Even the mix output plot is exactly the same if I load the IR files into CabLab. Maybe the difference is only present in the SYX file?
I also noticed that the CPU load is exacly the same, no matter if I use an older SYX file or one which was created with the latest CabLab.

I don't see a reason to redo all my cab mixes.

Back
Top Bottom