Cab-Lab 2.0

That's what he is trying to do :)

1.0 did not have the autoupdate, 1.01 did. You may have to get the upgrade of the web.

"To download, please log in to your account in our online store.

Once you log in, click the MY ACCOUNT link in the upper right to open your ORDER HISTORY.

Your original Cab-Lab order will be listed. Use the "CLICK TO DOWNLOAD" link to access the newest version."
Login

i suppose I should have read the whole thread. :( My bad

I did same. When I found my CAB LAB purchase email, I used the download link provided.

Right.
As I recall...
You can't re-dl the app right from Fractal's sell page on the web unless you use the link they provided in the confirmation email they sent you when you first purchased it.

Even still, it's pretty weird that mferrand doesn't have the Check For Updates item in his flip menu inside the version of Cab Lab he's using now.
Hopefully when he re-dl's the app his problems will be solved.

Right.
As I recall...
You can't re-dl the app right from Fractal's sell page on the web unless you use the link they provided in the confirmation email they sent you when you first purchased it.

Even still, it's pretty weird that mferrand doesn't have the Check For Updates item in his flip menu inside the version of Cab Lab he's using now.
Hopefully when he re-dl's the app his problems will be solved.

1.0 didn't have the feature It was added in 1.01, that is why he didn't have it.

Update: i just converted the files again and everything was there. Something must have gone wrong the first time.

Anyone here know how to capture the Raw IR data dump from the AXE and keep it as an IR file?

Isn't that happening yet?
I shot some UR IRs when the UltraRes capability of the IR Utility first came out (ver 13?) and it couldn't save .ir files to disk back then.
I haven't used the utility in a while, but I assumed that this had been fixed already.
No?

I asked a question about this upthread that nobody's addressed yet....
The IR Utility does let you save a small-sized (12kb on disk on my Mac) .syx file by selecting the X key choice when saving the captured IR as a file to disk.
The Y key choice saves a much larger (45kb?) .syx file which IS the UR file IIRC.
My question was whether renaming the extension of the smaller .syx files to .ir was all that is needed to create a usable .ir file from the Axe's IR Utility.
Either way, it'd be nice if someone from Fractal chimed in on this.

If the IR Utility can not create .ir files either now or in the near future that would be a real drag.

Unless I'm missing something, in which case I'd like to be clued in....

So far dumping the Raw IR data goes nowhere for me. I have nowhere to send it that will turn it into an .ir file which than then be loaded back into cab lab.

I'm trying to do this with my old captures. I was thinking that as long as I had the raw data, that I could reprocess these into UltraRes after doing a dump from the Axe.

In a recent thread I posted today, Cliff simply replied that I needed to use cab lab. That doesn't make any sense. I see no feature which captures a raw IR data dump from the Axe in cab lab.

So far dumping the Raw IR data goes nowhere for me. I have nowhere to send it that will turn it into an .ir file which than then be loaded back into cab lab.

I'm trying to do this with my old captures. I was thinking that as long as I had the raw data, that I could reprocess these into UltraRes after doing a dump from the Axe.

In a recent thread I posted today, Cliff simply replied that I needed to use cab lab. That doesn't make any sense. I see no feature which captures a raw IR data dump from the Axe in cab lab.

Cliff is telling you that you will need to use Cab Lab for shooting the IR if you want the .IR file as the Axe FX alone will only output .SYX I think.
I would imagine this is to protect intellectual copy rights of the Ultra Res.
from the Manual.... Someone shared with me, I don't know why it's not posted with all the other manuals yet /shrug

IR Capture
The IR Capture utility allows remote control of the entire IR Capture
feature of the Axe-*‐Fx II. You can perform all required operations through
the software for greater convenience and the benefit of built in step-*‐by-*‐
step help.
Each step includes a help icon you can click for more information.
1. SELECT DEVICE
Select your connected Axe-*‐Fx II from the list. A message will let you know if
Cab-*‐Lab connects successfully. If not, please ensure that your hardware is
connected via USB to this computer and that current drivers are installed.
2. IR FORMAT
IRs can be captured in the UltraRes format (preferred), or in Standard Axe-*‐Fx II (High/2048) format. Your selection here
determines the format files saved on the connected Axe-*‐Fx II, and those saved to disk (in step 6.)
3. TEST
The TEST button plays a single sweep through your connected amp and cab so you can check wiring and set levels. To prevent
accidental overload, begin with your power amp levels all the way down and increase them until the sweep can be heard
loudly through the connected speaker with no distortion. Note: The OUTPUT LEVEL 2 knob on the Axe-*‐Fx controls the level of
7 | Cab-*‐Lab Getting Started Guide -*‐ Version 2.0
signal to the power amp. Adjust the input controls of your mic preamp for a "healthy" level from the connected microphone.
The INPUT 2 meter on your connected Axe-*‐Fx II shows the level of signal from the preamp to the Axe-*‐Fx. Use the preamp's
output level controls together with the Axe-*‐Fx INPUT 2 level control (under I/O : INPUT on the hardware) to set levels. (A
"tickle" of the red INPUT2 LED is OK.) Repeat the TEST sweep as needed until all levels are set appropriately.
4. NAME
Before you can capture an IR, you need to type a NAME for it in this field (up to 31 characters).
5. CAPTURE
With levels set correctly, press the CAPTURE button and quietly wait for the process to complete (~15 seconds). When an IR is
captured, it is automatically sent to the “SCRATCHPAD” of CAB 1. TIP: If you set the current preset to use this cab before
beginning, you’ll be able to audition results immediately. If you like the results, move on to the next step, or make adjustments
to mic position/blend/etc. and repeat the capture as desired.
6. SEND TO USER CAB
The Axe-*‐Fx II contains internal memory for storing User Cabs. When you use Cab-*‐Lab to save an IR to a User Cab memory, it
remains there indefinitely until you overwrite or otherwise remove it. TIP: Fractal-*‐Bot can transfer all Axe-*‐Fx User Cabs to your
computer as individual files.
7. SAVE AS FILE
Use this option to save your completed capture to this computer. For UltraRes format, two files are created. The .syx file is the
UltraRes IR for use in CAB block, and the .ir file is the cab data for mixing and/or conversion in Cab-*‐Lab. (Cab-*‐Lab cannot load
Ultra-*‐Res SysEx files.)

8. DIAGRAM
This shows a sample setup for capturing IRs. The Axe-*‐Fx OUTPUT2 L generates a signal into the power amp, which drives the
speaker. A neutral solid state power amp is recommended for capturing IRs. A microphone on the speaker connects through a
mic preamp to return to the Axe-*‐Fx II INPUT 2 L. Microphone placement is critical and small adjustments can make a big
difference in results. Note that while the diagram shows a single microphone, you can also feed the signal from a mixer with
multiple mics blended together. (Note: Stereo blends must be captured in two independent passes, one each for left and
right.)
9. FREQUENCY PLOT
When an IR is captured, the result is plotted here. Note that this is a just the raw time domain plot, which will be quite
different from the typical frequency response diagrams you are perhaps accustomed to seeing.
If you have questions about using Cab-*‐Lab, please visit http://forum.fractalaudio.com for member-*‐to-*‐member support,
or contact Fractal Support via Fractal Audio - Powered by Kayako Resolve Help Desk Software.

Right I get the cab lab to capture then save part. I was trying to dump personally shot IRs from the Axe to save the hassle of having to reshoot them. I don't believe you can do that at this point. All of my old IR's are saved in Sysex form on my HD..which is no good for this exercise. The data does exist as RAW IR data in the Axe if I'm not mistaken.

You can dump the Raw IR data by pressing "Y" in the dump menu but it will go nowhere useful...That's all I know for now.

If they block this intentionally, Protecting copyrights might be an explanation. I'm probably just going to reshoot them at some point.

Right I get the cab lab to capture then save part. I was trying to dump personally shot IRs from the Axe to save the hassle of having to reshoot them. I don't believe you can do that at this point. All of my old IR's are saved in Sysex form on my HD..which is no good for this exercise. The data does exist as RAW IR data in the Axe if I'm not mistaken.

You can dump the Raw IR data by pressing "Y" in the dump menu but it will go nowhere useful...That's all I know for now.

If they block this intentionally, Protecting copyrights might be an explanation. I'm probably just going to reshoot them at some point.

CabLab automatically dumps the raw IR data and saves the data as a .ir file. If you dump manually from the Utility menu, say into MIDI-OX, then you need to save the data as .syx file. I will talk to the engineer tomorrow about converting these .syx files to .ir files.

The raw IR data does not exist inside the Axe-Fx.

Righto. What I was trying to do is not feasible then anyway. I'm going to have to reshoot my stuff in UltraRes all the same. I had a feeling, but thanks for confirming.

I'm in IR overload like many others either way.

For me, the culmination of all the UltraRes components has me really enjoying playing through my mains like never before. Very cool.:eagerness:

Back
Top Bottom