Cab-Lab 2.0

So let me get this straight and I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

I converted the OH waves selecting 48000 mono folder, using the UltraRes drop down in cablab and it created new folders containing 3 versions of each IR,

ir
syx
xl.sys

Are all three of these file types now in Ultra Res? I assume, I can import the syx directly into the Axe and it is UR, however must use the ir filetype if I want to mix in cablab and finally the xl.sys I assume is only for Axe FX XL.

Yes, but...

You can't load an UltraRes IR that is already in .syx format into Cab Lab for either remixing with other IRs or simply to ul it to the Axe.
The only IR types that can be loaded into Cab Lab 2, for ul'ding to the Axe or for mixing with other IRs in Cab Lab, are hi-res .syx files, low-res .syx files and the new raw .ir files.
When you ul an .ir file to the Axe while Cab Lab is set to UltraRes mode, the .ir file is converted to an UltraRes file on the way to the Axe.
When you mix several .ir files they are converted to UltraRes on their way to the Axe provided that Cab Lab is in UltraRes mode.

I'm not sure what happens if you mix hi-res or low-res .syx IRs when they are ul'd to the Axe when Cab lab is in UltraRes mode but it probably creates an UltraRes file type that has none of the benefits of the UltraRes technology.
These files will be shown in Axe Edit with italicized letters.
The fact that the Axe's screen does no show UltraRes IRs with italics anymore is kind of baffling to me.
And the fact that in a computer's file system there is nothing obviously different about an old-style .syx file and a new-style UR .syx file is also baffling.
I'm finding it very confusing to manage all these different file types along with having to parse whether I need Fractal Bot or Cab Lab to ul an IR to the Axe.

If I'm missing something really obvious I hope someone will clue me in.
Likewise, if any of my info is incorrect I hope to be corrected.
At the very least, Cab Lab could use an owner's manual now.

Also... While I'm venting....
When I shot my own UR IRs a couple of months ago (when v13 came out with the UR capability baked-in to the Axe's IR Utility) the only file format that it would allow me to save my IRs to disk were .syx format.
One of those files was an "X dump" choice and one was a "Y dump" which are the choices the Utility provided for.
My Y dump .syx file is 45kb on disk.
This is the UR file I believe.
The X dump .syx file is 12kb on disk.
If I change the file extension of the smaller .syx file to .ir will I be able to load it into Cab Lab 2 for further mixing with other IRs, etc.?
Or do I have to try to re-shoot all my IRs again?

Thanks for all the hard work, FAS!

Just a heads up for those who will be batch converting large IR libraries:

If Cab-Lab runs into a stereo file hiding anywhere in the nest of sub-folders during a batch conversion, the conversion will be aborted at that point, and Cab-Lab will tell you what the offending file is. Redwirez stereo files are (thankfully) labelled as such, so once you work out where they are hiding (I'm looking at YOU, Ambient Mic folders!) it's simple enough to remove them, although time consuming. If you have stereo impulse responses hiding in collections you want to convert that AREN'T correctly labelled as stereo, it'll be a bigger pain in the ass trying to hunt them down.

Is there an intentional reason that Cab-Lab doesn't simply skip the files it can't process, continue to convert the ones it can handle, and THEN gave you a list of the invalid files at the end? This way you wouldn't have to hunt through and remove all the offending files manually before conversion.

BTW, converting the 24bit/48000Hz Wav file folder from the Redwirez BigBox generated 21983 files. :shock
I ran into this and figured it out last night. I meant to post this.

Easiest way to get around this (because it kills the entire process and you have to start over) is to do a search in the redwirez directory where all of the source wave files are for "stereo". Then just rename the extension for the files that come up to something else (I used .bad). Now the converter will ignore them and process the entire library.

And yes, not every file is 170ms, but I did find that there were a lot of them....enough of them that if I was combining in CabLab that it just makes sense to use UltraRes because it takes up a single IR slot in the AxeFXII either way. May as well keep things consistent and when the IR is long enough you take advantage. It's not going to make it sound worse.

Reactions: npx
Dumb question, I was able to convert the Own hammer files without any issues. or some reason, I can't find the cab I usually use in the converted files.
I use this one, OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_SP, and it's not in the converted folder.

Sorry to be persistent, anyone?

Easiest way to get around this (because it kills the entire process and you have to start over) is to do a search in the redwirez directory where all of the source wave files are for "stereo". Then just rename the extension for the files that come up to something else (I used .bad). Now the converter will ignore them and process the entire library.

Yeah, that'll work for the Redwirez folders, but if you have stereo IRs that don't explicitly state "stereo" in their file name, you'd need to look for files that are twice the size of the others or something. I'm sure ignoring stereo files will be implemented soon.

joegold said:
The fact that the Axe's screen does no show UltraRes IRs with italics anymore is kind of baffling to me.

shasha said:
... it just makes sense to use UltraRes because it takes up a single IR slot in the AxeFXII either way. May as well keep things consistent and when the IR is long enough you take advantage. It's not going to make it sound worse.

I assume the idea is that UltraRes will become the new default IR format (on an Axe-Fx) for that reason... and once that happens, having an Axe-Fx screen full of only italicized Cab names would be pretty ugly. Unless the Cab block is set to NORMAL mode, UltraRes IRs are labeled with ULTRA-RES in the RES field of the Cab block on the hardware. If the IR in question is not UltraRes, the RES field will say HIGH. No need for italics.

I want to make sure I understand Matt's statement, basically all the UR syx files included with FW14 and the user generated UR syx files can't be mixed.

The .ir files would need to be made available to mix those.

If I understood this correctly, that's a colossal bummer.

Is that correct?

"...you can now convert the files using WAV2IR, included with this release of Cab-Lab" - Where to find WAV2IR?

Thanks

Dumb question, I was able to convert the Own hammer files without any issues. or some reason, I can't find the cab I usually use in the converted files.
I use this one, OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_SP, and it's not in the converted folder.

Are you sure you are looking for the correct file name? There is an OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1 but no OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_SP in my files. I double checked the zip as well as my uncompressed folder.

Someone posted a comment that the file names are so lengthy you don't get the last few characters after conversion. He created a free script to shorten the names so you still get the "T1-SP" at the end. The thing is you have to run his script BEFORE you convert them in cablab.

He says his script does create a copy of the files before it shortens the names, so you will retain your full length named originals as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Are you sure you are looking for the correct file name? There is an OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1 but no OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_SP in my files. I double checked the zip as well as my uncompressed folder.

There is no T1 in the new UR OH CB Mixes (From the Fractal Audio pack)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-29 at 19.10.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-29 at 19.10.06.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 19
Just bought Cablab 2.0 - I've used MixIR2 in the past so a question about the Cablab interface: is there no panning of individual IRs?

Last edited:
Someone posted a comment that the file names are so lengthy you don't get the last few characters after conversion. He created a free script to shorten the names so you still get the "T1-SP" at the end. The thing is you have to run his script BEFORE you convert them in cablab.

He says his script does create a copy of the files before it shortens the names, so you will retain your full length named originals as well.

That was me. The thread is here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fract...cab-lab-ownhammer-wav-conversion-content.html

Cab-Lab conversion retains the full length of the original file name, but that name (if too long) then gets truncated when imported into Axe-Edit or sent to the Axe-Fx.

I am a super happy camper. I just tried out my favorite Redwirez mix in the UltraRes format. Now that I finally get to see what UltraRes is like with my patches, my guitar, and my IR mix, I finally get it. Thanks FAS! Now I'm going to update to 14. :)

Back
Top Bottom