Cab IR questions... probably stupid so hold on to your hats...

mistermikev

Experienced
I've used IRs quite a bit for reverb and sparingly for cabs in my adventures of recording on my daw... but have held off on adding anything custom to the axe as I imagine that can get complicated later if you try to remove/move a cab, share a preset that uses a custom cab, add a new preset that requires position x for a cab, etc.

question 1) what are the pitfalls of adding user cabs? how do you organize them? do you toss in sever variations of mic/distance?

question 2) bass cabs: with a finite number of slots and so many options for different mics/placements... how are you guys going about auditioning cabs and deciding what is worthy of a spot?
follow up: re bass cabs... if you could only have 1 single bass cab ir... (purchased) which one? which mic? which distance?

question 3) bass cabs: doesn't seem like it is common to make a cab ir for a horn itself? or a biamped 8"... why not?
I see some cab packs that are based on cabs that have a horn... but doesn't seem like you get irs of the horn itself. are they mic'ing the horn or just taking proximity?

I've used IRs quite a bit for reverb and sparingly for cabs in my adventures of recording on my daw... but have held off on adding anything custom to the axe as I imagine that can get complicated later if you try to remove/move a cab, share a preset that uses a custom cab, add a new preset that requires position x for a cab, etc.

question 1) what are the pitfalls of adding user cabs? how do you organize them? do you toss in sever variations of mic/distance?

question 2) bass cabs: with a finite number of slots and so many options for different mics/placements... how are you guys going about auditioning cabs and deciding what is worthy of a spot?
follow up: re bass cabs... if you could only have 1 single bass cab ir... (purchased) which one? which mic? which distance?

question 3) bass cabs: doesn't seem like it is common to make a cab ir for a horn itself? or a biamped 8"... why not?
I see some cab packs that are based on cabs that have a horn... but doesn't seem like you get irs of the horn itself. are they mic'ing the horn or just taking proximity?
I shoot individual ir files of the horns and 8 inch speakers.

There's a method on my site for sorting through libraries of files too.

I've heard of that, but haven't tried it... will do so. I guess I'm thinking you load in a bunch of "prospective" keepers and then go thru them?

was thinking one might just setup a guitar loop in daw and then load up sir and try to find some favs that way... but I'm guessing they might sound dif in the axe with actual amp.

I've heard of that, but haven't tried it... will do so. I guess I'm thinking you load in a bunch of "prospective" keepers and then go thru them?
Nope. You open a folder full of cabs, turn on Auto-Audition, and click on them one at a time to see what they sound like. Drag the ones you like into user cab slots in your Axe.

You really owe it to yourself to learn Axe-Manage.

Nope. You open a folder full of cabs, turn on Auto-Audition, and click on them one at a time to see what they sound like. Drag the ones you like into user cab slots in your Axe.

You really owe it to yourself to learn Axe-Manage.
wait... so the preset your currently on plays thru the ir?

well shame on me for not figuring this out on my own but... got it: you choose scratchpad1 in your preset's cabinet... then open tools->axe-manage-cabs-> then unhide the browser -> drag a bunch of ir in... select scratchpad1 in the 'audition to' dropdown -> then turn auto audition on -> select one of the browser irs and click up/down on the keypad and that's about as efficient as can be. on a scale of 1 to 10 that's awesome.
amazed that 3 wks in and I'm still finding mind blowers.

well... I picked up the polytone pack as a "try out"... snagged the cheapie pack while i was at it.

just thought I'd post a bit of feedback...
@dr bonkers - some standout stuff among the 300+ cabs I've auditioned today.

I am most impressed by the hyper real stuff. the poly d12_U97_PZM is HUGE.
other favs... poly wf: akg 414edge, m160edge, re20 edge, 421edge,
alum 15: 4033_sm81 mix
ac2x15: 414_414_PZM

any chance there is a big ben in the future? no one seems to offer that anywhere I've seen.

anywho, for those interested in some standout bass irs... Dr B is def recommended.
will check out some more when my ears have recovered.

@mistermikev thanks so much for the feedback. It really makes my day when a user has that kind of experience with my files, as that's the reason why I got into doing this. I make the HypeReal mixes so that they sound huge in solo settings, but also fit well into live or recorded mix settings too (this is true both for the guitar and bass cab packs that I make). I always recommend them as a first stop to anyone, and my Choice mixes as second stop, so that you don't have to hopefully go through 300+ cab single mic files.

Regarding Big Ben, funny you should mention that cab. It is on my production schedule. I hope to get to capturing one before the end of the year.

Last edited:
My personal favorite packs that I use when I jam with friends is the Aguilar 8x10 biamped with the Sunn 2x15. If I had roadies and unlimited funds, that would be my real life bass rig. Very powerful and grindy, but also clean and articulate.

My new favorite combo is the Goli 4x10 with the Aguilar 1x15 for just straight ahead rock.

When I'm doing Chris Squire like jams, the pre-Fender SWR 1x12 is superlative at getting that clank of my Rickenbacker while preserving the bottom end.

For country jams, either the Polytone 1x15+2x8 or the Portaflex work well.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
right on... I'm all over big ben. wait, that came out right. anywho, snagged the swr 1x12 last night and was already eyeing the sunn. thanks again for a great product... will be working my way thru your collection and will try to post more feedback when able.

Back
Top Bottom