Cab IR - 48 or 96kHz

Ripley

I've just bought a cab pack from Ownhammer, which of course comes with various options of 200 - 500ms, 44, 48, 88, 96kHz, as well as the Fractal format.
I have read in another post a discussion regarding the merits (or not) of a 500ms over a 200ms IR, but is there any advantage in converting a 48 or 96kHz .wav file into a .syx format IR using Cablab?
Secondly, the Fractal format files form Ownhammer are .wav files not .syx, what are the differences and which is better?
An answer to my second question will maybe answer this, but also, is there any advantage in converting the fractal format .wav files to .syx files using Cablab

Secondly, the Fractal format files form Ownhammer are .wav files not .syx, what are the differences and which is better?
An answer to my second question will maybe answer this, but also, is there any advantage in converting the fractal format .wav files to .syx files using Cablab

WAV files need to be converted to SYX before they can be used in the Axe-Fx II and AX8

Following my recent post and research into this you want to convert the 200ms non-MPT file to syx or if you plan on blending those IRs with other IRs in the box or from other providers you need 200ms MPT to sort out possible phase issues.

Apparently ultra-res is around 170ms? So anything more than that is pretty useless. (Could be corrected but that's from memory)

Oh yeah I always went with 48k by the way

is there any advantage in converting a 48 or 96kHz .wav file into a .syx format IR using Cablab

48kHz is the Fractal native format. So there would be no SRC if you use those.

I'm not exactly sure what the SRC conversion capabilities of cab lab are but I go for minimal processing.

I use OwnHammer's IR's. If I'm loading them in user slots, I use Axe-Edit manage cabs. I use the 48kHz 500ms raw files. I don't blend cabs and when I'm recording in my DAW, I use mixIR2 instead of the cab block. It all depends on your situation and work flow.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. With regards to minimum phase issues, I didn;'t know this was something to consider until now, and maybe why my Rosen ir's sound like shite in the Axe where previously, using Scuffham Amps, were some of the best sounding ir's I have found.

Hubertus, thanks for your reply, but this confuses me, the 'Fractal format' files from Ownhammer are .wav files, not converted to .syx files already, and Axe Edit will allow me to load the .wav files without conversion, does Axe Edit convert the files before loading? Also, I seem to remember stated in another post that this was an upgrade to the Axe some time ago that it could accept ,wav files, anyone know?

Yes, any tool that is able to send IRs to the Axe-Fx has to convert them to .syx before sending. The axe-fx takes no wavs.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. With regards to minimum phase issues, I didn;'t know this was something to consider until now, and maybe why my Rosen ir's sound like ****e in the Axe where previously, using Scuffham Amps, were some of the best sounding ir's I have found.

Hubertus, thanks for your reply, but this confuses me, the 'Fractal format' files from Ownhammer are .wav files, not converted to .syx files already, and Axe Edit will allow me to load the .wav files without conversion, does Axe Edit convert the files before loading? Also, I seem to remember stated in another post that this was an upgrade to the Axe some time ago that it could accept ,wav files, anyone know?
I believe the free Cab Lab Lite can convert WAV to Syx if I am not mistaken and load them into your Fractal unit.

Of course the full fare Cab Lab3 may also do this as well (that I know for a fact as that is what I use sometimes).

Hi Ripley,

. is there any advantage in converting a 48 or 96kHz .wav file into a .syx format IR using Cablab?

- The Axe cab: .syx is a FAS proprietary format (48kHz - 200 ms)

- Anyway, the input format will be converted at 48kHz, 200 milliseconds to be used with the Axe!!

- If it is to be able to load the .wav in the Axe, good news, AxeEdit can do this!

Capture d’écran 2017-08-05 à 12.41.55.png

! no need anymore to convert the wav > .syx in cabLab!! to use with the axe, or obtaining IRs to mix in CabLab !

- You have now the ability to load IRs directly from Axe Edit / Tools / Axe-Manage cabs

1/ Axe Edit / Tools / Axe-Manage cabs / Browser (if you don't see the browser screen, check "show / Hide" in the browser list!)

Capture d’écran 2017-08-05 à 19.21.38.png

2/ Select a folder with the cabs you want to load (Browser / Open Directory)

Capture d’écran 2017-08-05 à 19.22.36.png

3/ Select a cab in the browser, just click & drop the file in empty User Cab Slot, and save!
!The conversion .wav > .syx is done! (i hope it will be UR2 like after a conversion in CabLab:D)

Capture d’écran 2017-08-05 à 19.24.05.png

(if you have selected a scratchpad slot in your cab block, and saved your preset like this,
you have just to chose the right Scratchpad slot in: Audition to: ....., click on Auto-Audition
and select a cab in the Browser list to ear it before loading it!! )

:)

Last edited:
Yeah don't sit there and compare v30-57-01 to v30-57-02 just go on instinct.
it's like picking a fork from the draw to eat your tea(uk)/Dinner (US?) with. Find one that fits the task and go eat!
Don't go down that rabbit hole...
Watership-down1.png

Hi Ripley,

. is there any advantage in converting a 48 or 96kHz .wav file into a .syx format IR using Cablab?

- The Axe cab: .syx is a FAS proprietary format (48kHz - 200 ms)

- Anyway, the input format will be converted at 48kHz, 200 milliseconds to be used with the Axe!!

- If it is to be able to load the .wav in the Axe, good news, AxeEdit can do this!

View attachment 41220

! no need anymore to convert the wav > .syx in cabLab!! to use with the axe, or obtaining IRs to mix in CabLab !

- You have now the ability to load IRs directly from Axe Edit / Tools / Axe-Manage cabs

1/ Axe Edit / Tools / Axe-Manage cabs / Browser (if you don't see the browser screen, check "show / Hide" in the browser list!)

View attachment 41222

2/ Select a folder with the cabs you want to load (Browser / Open Directory)

View attachment 41223

3/ Select a cab in the browser, just click & drop the file in empty User Cab Slot, and save!
!The conversion .wav > .syx is done! (i hope it will be UR2 like after a conversion in CabLab:D)

View attachment 41224

(if you have selected a scratchpad slot in your cab block, and saved your preset like this,
you have just to chose the right Scratchpad slot in: Audition to: ....., click on Auto-Audition
and select a cab in the Browser list to ear it before loading it!! )

:)

But is it UltraRes when you import that way? Or NormalRes?

Back
Top Bottom