Cab for axe2/fryette rig

Hey guys,

I'm at the 3 month mark with my Axe2 and loving it. So far I've ran it with headphones, studio monitors, and into a PA. Now I want to dive into a power amp + speaker situation. I have a fryette 2502, but don't yet have a cab. So first off id love some suggestions of both 2x12 and 4x12 cabs as well as speakers. Secondly, how do ya'll set your axe up for both amp/cab and into the PA? That is, I want to turn the cab sims off for the signal going to the amp/cab rig, but have the cab sims on for the signal going to the PA. I see multiple outs and know my way around the global settings, but can't quite wrap my head around how I accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonas from PDX

image.jpg

I have an Axe II and a Fryette 2/50/2. I run it right into passive CLR's. Power amp sims and IR 's on. Sounds great. The Fryette is flat enough that I don't think you need to turn off the power amp section.

I'm running an AXE II with a VHT 2/50/2 through a Port City 2x12 OS with an EVM12L and a Fane Medusa 150C. Power amp sims ON. Cab sims OFF. Best sounding cab I have ever played through. Very focused sound with a tight low end even with high gain settings.

Side note: I also use the MATRIX GT1000FX power amp sometimes. The Port City 2X12 OS cab sounds great with that too.

I no longer have my Fryette 2/50/2 but when I did, I ran it into my recto 2X12 cab and a Marshall 1936 2X12 in stereo.
sounded pretty freaking great :)

Great to know that you're doing this with success and that my options aren't limited to traditional guitar cabs. I do like the IRs.

Thanks Chris. This is another area I'd like to explore. I have a mesa wide body 1x12 that I use for an extension of my lonestar. It sounds okay/good with the axe (running with cab sims off), but I'm tempted to change out the speaker for a fane or an EV and see if that's a game changer. To be fair I haven't done a lot of tweaking on the axe to optimize the C90. I also play with a fairly loud band and would like at least a 2x12, but of course adding another 1x12 is possible and would make it stereo.

I vote 4X12 Recto cab with some sort of speaker mix cause I love mine! Strong bias here.

I have 2 V30's, g12h30, C90 in mine. An amazing cab, going through either Axe rigs or full tube rigs.

Finally got around to ordering a cab, the Mission Gemini 2-P Gemini 2-P - Mission Engineering

Anyone have any experience with these? Virtually all of this gear is unavailable to try out locally, so like my Axe2, I'm just going to have to see how it goes. The specs are right for my power amp and I like the traditional look of that cab. It's on its way.

I for one happen to think that if you are not using the IR's in the AxeFx II that you are not using it at its fullest potential. I was in your exact same boat and way of thinking. I have since changed and will be ordering my system and using a pair of Matrix FR 212's. I will also run direct to FOH using the cabinet IR's on everything.

Click the links and have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3rytiQe4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO90g-Jh6L0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIZ_N775mig

It's certainly true that you aren't using the Axe to it's full potential without using IR's. The cab/speaker is the single most determining factor in tone, IMO. I used to use a Matrix GT1000FX into my Bogner 412 with v30's, which sounded great. However, everything sounded very similar. Any high gain amp that sounds good with v30's in a 412 sounded good, of course (though very similar). But a 412 with British style speakers will not allow you to get all of the other tones out there. A Fender preset will NEVER sound like a Fender combo through a 412 with v30's. A Vox combo will never sound accurate either. Everything sounds roughly the same. I haven't tried the EV cab method or the other options that are roughly flat-ish, but some people seem to have good luck with them. However, I'm sure they're not nearly as accurate or capable of such varied tones as a true good FRFR solution. I'm not arguing you should go one way or the other, just agreeing with what was said above and explaining it. There are a lot of other benefits of FRFR and it's awesome, but there's no denying that if you are into high gain tones and run a Marshall or Mesa high gain patch into a 412 with cab sims off, you'll get a very good amp like tone. You just won't get 1/10th the versatility that the Axe can offer.

Axe 2 --> Fryette 2502 --> Mission Gemini 2P Very nice so far. Great hearing the IRs. Great to not have to make a separate path and eq for traditional guitar cab.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for everyone's urging to go FRFR. It was a tough move for this traditionalist, but I'm a lot happier with the Axe's live application now.

Back
Top Bottom