Cab comparaison Torpedo/Cab pack 8

Tonic

Inspired
Hi all!

Here are 3 sound samples with a comparaison of the block "CAB".
Little blind test with:

- Axe FX 1959 SLP JUMP with cab pack 8 (SM57+R121 in stereo ultra res).
- Axe FX 1959 SLP JUMP with CAB bypassed + WOS III from Two Notes with 4x12 Friedman G12M model (SM57+R121)
- Bogner Hélios 100W with Torpédo Studio and exactly the same IR Model (Friedman G12M)

No EQ, comp or post effects except a room reverb in Cubase.
Bogner Hélios is not in the Axe FX but it sounds closed to a plexi type amp so I choose the 1959 SLP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zbpirpnmesmre6/A.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qexmw0cbymb9aog/B.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/je9hz2lefx0rk56/C.wav?dl=0

Cool comparison. I'll check this when I'm at home. With the headphones I'm using right now they all sound good. Volume differences affect the end result maybe.

Cool comparison. I'll check this when I'm at home. With the headphones I'm using right now they all sound good. Volume differences affect the end result maybe.

Thanks Clark!
Volume is difficult to have the same because it's a light crunch so more dynamic than high gain.
I dont use any compressor

Now I had some time to listen to these properly. I think they all sound pretty good. EQ wise they're a bit different. A is brightest and sounds most "vintagey" which is why I think it might be Cab Pack 8. Kind of reminds me of that Jimi clip I did. B is a more modern EQ balance which is what I would go for myself. It might also be Cab Pack 8 since it sounds like Sean's clip which I have in my signature. Hard to decide which one I like more out of these two.

If C is Cab Pack 8 then you've done something wrong. :lol Essentially A had way more highs than the other clips, B was the best EQ balance IMO, C had no high end at all. The amp EQ could've taken that to account maybe? :)

Now I had some time to listen to these properly. I think they all sound pretty good. EQ wise they're a bit different. A is brightest and sounds most "vintagey" which is why I think it might be Cab Pack 8. Kind of reminds me of that Jimi clip I did. B is a more modern EQ balance which is what I would go for myself. It might also be Cab Pack 8 since it sounds like Sean's clip which I have in my signature. Hard to decide which one I like more out of these two.

If C is Cab Pack 8 then you've done something wrong. :lol Essentially A had way more highs than the other clips, B was the best EQ balance IMO, C had no high end at all. The amp EQ could've taken that to account maybe? :)

C and B are closed for my ears.
A is the Axe fx+cab pack 8.
In the Torpédo, I'm using mics off axis so it's a little bit darker and warmer.
For me, the CAB block with IR is less rich and more thin than the Two Notes IR's.

B is the Bogner with Torpedo.
The most natural solution (for my ears).
It's warmer and it breathes more than the Axe fx only

I agree that A is a bit bright for modern music. Adjectives are a bit hard at times. "Bright" = "Thin" and "Dark = "Fat". The truth is you need fat-bright versatility to fit different types of mixes. If you want Cab Pack 8 to be "fatter"/"darker" the R121 mics will give you that. There are fatter SM57 IRs in there also. I strongly advice you to try the SM57-R121 Alloys. F.ex. the one Sean uses in that clip (B01) is from the Alloy Aces folder and it just sounds like pure magic to me.

I do agree that B sounds the best out of these clips. Still the reason for that is in the amp settings and not the IR.

Thank you for the clips. :)

Back
Top Bottom