Cab Block Question

bread

Power User
My setup will be using the Axe FX with amp and cab sims to the FOH in stereo while using a guitar cab via a Matrix 1000Fx amp for on stage monitoring in mono.

I've read about cab block positioning on the wiki etc and wondered if I could set the cab block to stereo going to output 1 and then branch the signal just before this cab block to the FX Loop block (and probably a PEQ) to go to my monitor ?

If so would I notice any difference in sound by repositioning the cab block from just after the amp to the end of the chain or would I have a separate chain that needs building based on a new mono version of the preset going to the monitor via the fx loop ?

Thanks for your help

It could make a difference, but it depends on your settings. If any blocks after the cab block are adding frequency content, moving the cab block after those would limit the frequency response of the those blocks to that of the cab IR and the high and low cut settings of the cab block. For example, if you have something like a shift delay setup to create a high frequency shimmer reverb tail effect, the cab in front of the delay would give you the filtered response of the cab with the high sparkle added on top of it. If you move the cab after the delay, the cab block could then possibly filter off much of the shift delay's high sparkle and it would be much less effective if you are using a very warm IR or have a the high cut of the cab block set below the range of the added sparkle. Same could be true for say the pitch block adding octave up or down sounds. For many presets though, the difference would probably be fairly subtle. The response of the real cab on stage is likely going to be different enough that you may not notice anyway. The Cab block's response is pretty linear unless you are using the preamp section of it to add compression and saturation.

It can't be all wrong to put the cab block and the fx loop at the very end of the chain because that's almost how real live setups are.
The effects are placed in the fx loop of the amp when you play a real amp on stage, so you have guitar-preamp-effects-poweramp-cab-mic-console. In a recording studio you may record without effects first, so then you have guitar-preamp-poweramp-cab-mic-console-effects.
With the axe-fx you get guitar-preamp-poweramp-effects-cab-mic-console.
They are all a little bit different, but all ways allow for some awesone sounds, so just save some dsp power.

Back
Top Bottom