Cab block proximity control Q3.0b [NOT A BUG]

I do not want this debate to turn into a Shit Storm...
Dear Scott, don't fear storms in this forum, maybe a light drizzle from time to time

I just had a hearing test yesterday as a checkup from ear surgery at the end of February, the doctor described my hearing as "Bionic" in the left ear.. From the reconstructive surgery, he was quite pleased with the results...

Glad that you're recovered, your Bionic reference reminded me the superb Lindsay Wagner:
bionic-aware-done.jpg

She turns 67 in June and ages well

Last edited:
Cliff

I do not want this debate to turn into a Shit Storm... I contrary to popular opinion hear a difference when I turn the proximity from 0 to between 2 to 5.... I just had a hearing test yesterday as a checkup from ear surgery at the end of February, the doctor described my hearing as "Bionic" in the left ear.. From the reconstructive surgery, he was quite pleased with the results... I do knot know what to say I hear what I hear and cannot replicate the results with a video and do not have a studio to be able to record the results. Common sense tells me that there are 2 others that are claiming to hear what I hear I suggest you do nothing
At this point with the control. When you downloaded my patch how did it sound to you ? Did you think any of the parameters were out of line. I would like to know you feedback to see if I am not doing something correctly in your opinion

Thanks !!!

Scott
Ok, you can make two simple experiments to prove if you're right or wrong.
1. Set up two identical cab blocks and set proximity to 0 on one and to 5 on the other. Make a live tonematch and if the result is different than a straight line you're right, there's a difference.
2. Place two identical cab blocks in parallel, choose invert mic and set proximity to 0 in one of them, none mic and your preferred proximity in the other. If you can hear any sound at all when doing this then you're right, there's a difference

2. Place two identical cab blocks in parallel, choose invert mic and set proximity to 0 in one of them, none mic and your preferred proximity in the other. If you can hear any sound at all when doing this then you're right, there's a difference

this

Axe Fx II Mk I (FW 3.00b) here.

I've just done a quick recording test:

the first example of each riff is with proximity set to 0 and the second one with prioximity set to 10.
Mic set to NONE.

Amp, cab and all the other parameters are exactly the same.

Ok, you can make two simple experiments to prove if you're right or wrong.
1. Set up two identical cab blocks and set proximity to 0 on one and to 5 on the other. Make a live tonematch and if the result is different than a straight line you're right, there's a difference.
Yes, that's a great idea! I haven't messed with tonematch much ,but soon as I get some time to mess with it I'll try it! Maybe they sell crow at the local market if there's no difference:):)

Yes, that's a great idea! I haven't messed with tonematch much ,but soon as I get some time to mess with it I'll try it! Maybe they sell crow at the local market if there's no difference:):)
I've just done these 2 tests, no difference here. works as expected

Well crap.....I should've just left it be and not even bothered, but I did. I definitely can hear an oh so slight difference. When I select a User cab my default proximity is at 5.00 and Mics are on None . Then my dumb self had to twiddle the knob and....there it was. Brighter as I go to 0 and slightly bassier when I go to 10.

Here's the catch, it only effects two user cab mixes that I created in Cab-Lab. Ownhammer cabs to be exact. Both cabs are 57-121 mixes. This is not effecting my ML Cabs or the Fractal Cab Packs that I have loaded. I'm wondering if there is some way that the proximity control on my mixes is sweeping between the 57 and 121 giving the impression of brighter and darker?

Unfortunately I can't record anything or upload my preset, because my logic board on my Macbook took a crap this week and I have no computer. All it wants to do is boot up over and over again and not actually load my operating system....FML :mad: If it decides to actually start up tonight I'll try to record something and load my patch as well.

Makes no difference to me, I'm just going to set everything back at 5.00 and go about my day and jam :D

Well crap.....I should've just left it be and not even bothered, but I did. I definitely can hear an oh so slight difference. When I select a User cab my default proximity is at 5.00 and Mics are on None . Then my dumb self had to twiddle the knob and....there it was. Brighter as I go to 0 and slightly bassier when I go to 10.

Here's the catch, it only effects two user cab mixes that I created in Cab-Lab. Ownhammer cabs to be exact. Both cabs are 57-121 mixes. This is not effecting my ML Cabs or the Fractal Cab Packs that I have loaded. I'm wondering if there is some way that the proximity control on my mixes is sweeping between the 57 and 121 giving the impression of brighter and darker?

Unfortunately I can't record anything or upload my preset, because my logic board on my Macbook took a crap this week and I have no computer. All it wants to do is boot up over and over again and not actually load my operating system....FML :mad: If it decides to actually start up tonight I'll try to record something and load my patch as well.

Makes no difference to me, I'm just going to set everything back at 5.00 and go about my day and jam :D
well that is the most detail i think we've seen. that is a very specific description, and something like that can be tested by others. thanks for this.

well that is the most detail i think we've seen. that is a very specific description, and something like that can be tested by others. thanks for this.

Chris, I also just noticed this happening on my OH Mesa V60 EWH-1 mix, which is one of the included mixes with this IR. Weird, but maybe this is only happening with mixed IR's. All the ML and Fractal stuff I have loaded is single mic IR's so they are not exhibiting this behavior.

Chris, I also just noticed this happening on my OH Mesa V60 EWH-1 mix, which is one of the included mixes with this IR. Weird, but maybe this is only happening with mixed IR's. All the ML and Fractal stuff I have loaded is single mic IR's so they are not exhibiting this behavior.
i'm not sure how a mixed IR would be different than a non-mixed, as far as the Axe can affect things. hopefully someone can test this; not sure when i'll have a chance.

I 've had 0 time to mess with it this week, but planning on spending some time on it this weekend. Don't think I have a way to do a spectral plot though.

The Axe FX has one built in. As suggested before, do a live tone match between two identical cab blocks on separate rows (same ir and settings and mic set to None but the local cab with proximity at 0 and the reference cab with it at 10) and look at the resulting tone match curve on the Axe screen. If there is a difference between the two settings, the tone match curve will be something other than a flat line.

Here's what it looks like on my XL tone matching a Proximity of 0 to 10 and Mic set to None:
Proximity-None.jpg
Flat as a billiard table. No difference whatsoever.

For reference, this is what it looks like with the reference cab's mic changed to NULL and Proximity on 10.
Proximity-Null.jpg
Huge difference. You can see the big, gradual low end boost that Proximity gives on the other mic settings. The graph display scale is a bit odd in the tone match block. Through a bit of experimenting with tone matching a notch filter I figured out that the graph starts at roughly 100 Hz on the left, the first vertical dotted line is at 500 Hz, the second one is at 3 kHz, and it ends at about 14 kHz on the right side. At any rate it's plenty wide to show most normal guitar frequencies. The default frequency setting for Proximity in the cab block is 120 Hz, so the graph is right on the money.

Last edited:
@mr_fender is there any way you, or anyone for that matter, can show a quick pic of what the grid layout should look like for doing a live Tonematch? I only ask because when I did this experiment, I get a small, but distinct curve and not a flatline. It becomes even more so when I add the Null mic to the reference cab. I want to make sure I'm doing this experiment correctly.

@mr_fender is there any way you, or anyone for that matter, can show a quick pic of what the grid layout should look like for doing a live Tonematch? I only ask because when I did this experiment, I get a small, but distinct curve and not a flatline. It becomes even more so when I add the Null mic to the reference cab. I want to make sure I'm doing this experiment correctly.

Leave the mic at NONE.

If you choose NULL, then the proximity control will affect the sound and the match won't flat line.

Leave the mic at NONE.

If you choose NULL, then the proximity control will affect the sound and the match won't flat line.

Of course, I get that. I was referencing Mr_fender's example pic above where he added the Null mic to show the low end boost. My problem is I'm not getting a flat line at all when the mic is left on None, there is a definite curve (very slight). That's why I wanted to make sure I was doing the live Tonematch correctly, but I'm assuming it is just operator error :D

Not at my Axe now, but I started with the bypass preset. Added an amp block (1959 SLP Treble, but model doesn't really matter for this test) followed by a cab block and then a tone match block, all on row 2. I then added a second cab block below the first one on row 3 and connected it in parallel. Both cab blocks were at all defaults except I changed both to factory cab 54 (one of my favorites, but any cab would work as the mic and proximity modeling is independent of the cab chosen, just make sure you choose the same cab in both cab blocks). In the tone match block, set the Ref Source to row 3, set mode to live, and leave the rest at defaults. Cab block 2 on row 3 is then your reference cab, set proximity to 10 on it with mic set to NONE. Leave cab block 1 at the default settings of mic set to NONE and proximity at 0. Now go back to the capture page of the tone match block, hit the up arrow to activate both tones at the same time and play some random chords all the way up and down the neck and such to let the two graphs capture the whole frequency response. Hit the enter button to make the tone match and then go back to the Process page to see the resulting tone match plot.

Back
Top Bottom