Cab block proximity control Q3.0b [NOT A BUG]

I'm in the same boat as Scott.A.B. All I have at the moment is my iPhone and results are the same, it isn't distinguishable on the phone recorder, I used the factory Plexi 100 patch . Still hear it over my wedges, but at this time can't prove it. I'll try again when I can get a better source to record it.
Everyones efforts are much appreciated!!

You're welcome but the point is do you hear a change in tone when adjusting the Proximity parameter? This whole thing is starting to become a Monty Python skit.
It is bizzare! I have a Friedman, and 2 CLR's I can hear it on both, but can't get it to distinguish in the iPhone recording. Don't know what else to say? i'm going to have band members listen for it and see what they say this weekend.

I tried on several patches to reproduce this, using pink noise as the source. No change at all if the mic is set to "None." Very strong change if set to "Null." Also tried using cab 55 just in case, and nope.

It's bloody mind games now ....... you've had me thinking I did hear a difference, then I thought to myself it's just a weird psychological effect because I was turning a dial and maybe over-anticipated .... so then I tried not to anticipate and heard no difference

..... but then I thought ..... was that because I was putting too much emphasis on not anticipating?

About 10 minutes it took altogether ...... but I've convinced myself that there is definitely no difference ...... but I had to convince myself ..... which worries me.

I vote the parameter should be re-named to 'Mind Feck' and have a disclaimer in the manual in case of law suits

This whole thing is a fascinating view into the psychology of hearing. Psychologists have long known how subjective hearing can be and how people can be convinced they hear things through the power off suggestion.

This is why I don't solely rely on what I think I hear but what I can measure.

Cliff

I do not want this debate to turn into a Shit Storm... I contrary to popular opinion hear a difference when I turn the proximity from 0 to between 2 to 5.... I just had a hearing test yesterday as a checkup from ear surgery at the end of February, the doctor described my hearing as "Bionic" in the left ear.. From the reconstructive surgery, he was quite pleased with the results... I do knot know what to say I hear what I hear and cannot replicate the results with a video and do not have a studio to be able to record the results. Common sense tells me that there are 2 others that are claiming to hear what I hear I suggest you do nothing
At this point with the control. When you downloaded my patch how did it sound to you ? Did you think any of the parameters were out of line. I would like to know you feedback to see if I am not doing something correctly in your opinion

Thanks !!!

Scott

This whole thing is a fascinating view into the psychology of hearing. Psychologists have long known how subjective hearing can be and how people can be convinced they hear things through the power off suggestion.

Hmm, Well Alrighty Then!

A blind listening test might shed a bit of light. Have someone else randomly sweep the proximity setting back and forth out of site while you play and then randomly leave the control at either zero or 10. See if you can guess if the control has been left at zero or 10 before looking at it. If you can guess correctly 8 out of 10 times, then you might be on to something. If the results are random, you are probably imagining the change. Placebo effect is very real and surprisingly difficult to avoid completely. Even the most golden of ears are still connected to a brain that can fool the hell out of you sometimes.

I can't recreate it either. XL on Q3.0b. Proximity has zero effect when mic is set to None. Cab block defaults with proximity at zero on mine as well when placing a cab block on the grid or resetting via a double tapping the bypass button.

This reminds me of that one time a guy reported he had been playing with a new parameter all day and was very excited about the huge improvement this new parameter brought.
....Until he realised he had only updated the editor, not the Axe-fx.
So he had constantly been hearing things he couldn't possibly have heard since the new parameter wasn't in the Axe-Fx.

Perhaps it's time for a repost of the video about "Audio Myths"

what confused me, was that scott said he heard more "clarity" when turning up proximity. this rang an alarm bell for me, because i equate clarity with top end. i figured if there was a bug it might explain a few things

if you think you're hearing some effect with the mic set to "none", you can do an easy test to eliminate your expectations.

use axe edit
copy X into Y and make the proximity value different for X and Y
if you click on X or Y, you "focus" on that parameter, which means you can now flip back and forth with the space bar
spam the space bar without looking at the screen so you don't know whether you're in X or Y
play
hit the space bar
play some more
repeat
see if you can hear a difference

i suspect this is all to do with language, terminology and expectations. if there was a real bug, we would have been able to easily reproduce it.

what confused me, was that scott said he heard more "clarity" when turning up proximity. this rang an alarm bell for me, because i equate clarity with top end. i figured if there was a bug it might explain a few things

if you think you're hearing some effect with the mic set to "none", you can do an easy test to eliminate your expectations.

use axe edit
copy X into Y and make the proximity value different for X and Y
if you click on X or Y, you "focus" on that parameter, which means you can now flip back and forth with the space bar
spam the space bar without looking at the screen so you don't know whether you're in X or Y
play
hit the space bar
play some more
repeat
see if you can hear a difference

i suspect this is all to do with language, terminology and expectations. if there was a real bug, we would have been able to easily reproduce it.

Or even better. Record two versions with different proximity settings and let someone do a double blind test on you.

Back
Top Bottom