Cab block proximity control Q3.0b [NOT A BUG]

I think Scott may be saying that when he turns to "Null", the control works as expected, but when set to "None" he is hearing increased clarity at higher values. The whole thing seems very strange to me.

I guess the problem is like the distinction between "empty" and "blank". Even people who work with software all day can easily miss the subtle (but significant) distinction between these kinds of terms.

I think Scott may be saying that when he turns to "Null", the control works as expected, but when set to "None" he is hearing increased clarity at higher values. The whole thing seems very strange to me.
I don't think so. He never stated he ever set it to "None."

Null is not the same as None; they are 2 different settings in the Mic parameter. That's the confusion here. I did mention that when you first reported the issue, so that's why this thread was made and we have continued on this discussion.

There is no bug here.
I think the same... But there is another guy that says specifically that using NONE hears "something" different.
It's here and here.

I would mark the thread as "Not a Bug" if no one else report here.

Last edited:
I think the same... But there is another guy that says specifically that using NONE hears "something" different.
It's here and here.

I would mark the thread as "Not a Bug" if no one else report here.
Neither of those posts say specifically that setting to "None" actually does something.

The first deduces that it does something simply because factory presets have it None and Prox set to non-zero: this is not conclusive.

The second talks more about motor drive than Prox. though it does say something about None, it is simply a statement without any proof, so also not conclusive as is.

Last edited:
Currently the patch I am working on has the mic set to none.
I know the difference between null and none.... I am confused though factory patch 7 has the mic at none and proximity set at 5 ????

Hmm, that's strange! I've owned 5 different units , 2 II's 2 XL's and now an XL+ It has always made a change in the color of the tone in all of them with None selected.I really don't get why none of you can reproduce it ? I'm not imagining it!

I have had an ultra a 2 and an Xl + I am with RDH on this one... Even though I am being told that I am hearing things ....o_Oo_Oo_O

Currently the patch I am working on has the mic set to none.
I know the difference between null and none.... I am confused though factory patch 7 has the mic at none and proximity set at 5 ????
it really doesn't matter what a factory preset has set. with Mic set to None, there should be no change, regardless of where the Proximity is set, Factory or not. Factory presets are designed by people, just like you and me. it's not some automated process that sets every single control.

Hmm, that's strange! I've owned 5 different units , 2 II's 2 XL's and now an XL+ It has always made a change in the color of the tone in all of them with None selected.I really don't get why none of you can reproduce it ? I'm not imagining it!
I have had an ultra a 2 and an Xl + I am with RDH on this one... Even though I am being told that I am hearing things ....o_Oo_Oo_O
if either of you can make an audio or video recording showing the change when using the Proximity parameter in a cab with Mic set to NONE.... it would really help this conversation. we aren't saying we don't believe you, but are saying that ours don't do that. thanks!!

Can either of you post a recording comparing proximity values with the mic set to "None"?

Edit: Chris beat me to it.
we both said it, but at this point, this has to be done. we need to hear what you're hearing. anything. we need a starting point :)

Ok, I just turn mine on and checked ,Plexi, with pr75 greenback ir mic set to none hit an open E, rotate the proximity from min to max , very noticeable difference, so I thought I've experienced things in the past that seemed to change with a guitar in my hands and when I do a loop and put down the guitar I couldn't hear it, pick up the guitar and I hear it again.so obviously it was a feel thing more than actual change. So I recorded a loop and did the same, the difference doesn't jump out at me quite as much ,but still is there! Label me crazy if you want, but it isn't my imagination.

Ok, I just turn mine on and checked ,Plexi, with pr75 greenback ir mic set to none hit an open E, rotate the proximity from min to max , very noticeable difference, so I thought I've experienced things in the past that seemed to change with a guitar in my hands and when I do a loop and put down the guitar I couldn't hear it, pick up the guitar and I hear it again.so obviously it was a feel thing more than actual change. So I recorded a loop and did the same, the difference doesn't jump out at me quite as much ,but still is there! Label me crazy if you want, but it isn't my imagination.
again we believe, we just need to see it and hear it for ourselves at this point.

can you please save and upload that preset where it happens at least? maybe we can start there.

Is proximity the only control that actives with NULL?

If so, maybe remove NULL, and make the Proximity go to "OFF" fully counter-clockwise? Basically make Proximity always active with an "OFF" position to turn it off.

Although I've never been confused by NONE vs. NULL myself :)

Thank you to you and Chris, I tried with my I phone camera to make a video ... With the camera I cannot hear the difference in the settings. The only way would be to record two tracks with the the different settings ... I do not have any thing that would be able to record tracks at this time. I think it is time to stop wasting time on something I cannot prove at this time.

Back
Top Bottom