Cab Block Preamp. Do you?

Think of a recording studio: they do not have thousands of different cabinets and speakers, but they still get the tone they are seeking.
I suppose not, but they do have the ability to move the microphone(s) and mix different microphones together. This is pretty similar to a huge amount of IRs, I think.

One thing to think about: every classic recorded tone you've ever chased has almost certainly had the color of a mixing console preamp (channel strip) added, since that is how the signal got to tape.

The minimal signal chain of a mic'd guitar is:

guitar -> amp -> cab (speaker) -> mic -> mic preamp -> tape machine (or DAW)

So if you want that tone, don't leave out part of the signal chain.

I like the Tape 35us and the transformer sometimes. Actually, the bipolar adds bite to some things, too. Basically, I use it when the IR is soooo close to what I want, but I need some extra polish.

Cliff said that he won't reveal more details because it would lead to endless comparison/speculation.

There is nothing we can't bitch about :D

Fair enough. A little research exposes which mic pres are based on the circuits modeled on the Axe. But there are still multiple FET or Tube or OpAmp based mic preamps even within the context.

I'm cool with the Cliff leaving out the particulars - it doesn't have to be as specific as the amp blocks. But it would be nice for demo purposes when I'm showing off my Axe III to my co-workers who are still married to the process of mic'ing up a rig, into specific mic pres, etc...

I use the Tape35 type... Just because I like how it sounds.

I have a very minor EQ, and I add a little bit of Drive and Saturation.

I added a few years back after Cliff posted about how it helped make his attempt at early Van Halen finally sound complete... Because it's like running into an mixer console like they use in a studio.

My particular settings are just what works for me. Occasionally I try turning it off... But I always come back to on.
This is a great thread and I’m really glad to have run across it. I was toying with the idea of inserting an EQ block of sorts after the Cab. To me, it would serve as a “mastering” tool without having to use the Global EQ. Further, I was wondering if it was my imagination that I heard talk here of an update inserting a selectable or 10 band EQ within the Cab block itself (if so that would be marvelous! Maybe it was a Wish by someone else). But perhaps this is what was being referred to. In any case, what a great tool! While I agree this shouldn’t be a bandaid for a poorly designed patch, it sounds perfect for putting the finishing touches on a good one or a place to go to tweak an already created and liked but not perfect patch from the factory or others.

Love it! It just keeps getting better....

Edit: Kept reading and apparently what I was remembering the EQ’s put in the Amp and Drive blocks so perhaps the Cab block having one as well might be overkill. Still quite excited to learn about the Cab preamp capabilities. Yesssss.....

Last edited:
I used it for awhile on the II until I realized it was a pretty big CPU hog, and I just can never bring myself to using anything other than high quality mode. That goes for Reverbs too, and pretty much anything in life in general. (That’s not always a good thing either.) I’ve actually kind of forgotten about it, but now with the newfound power of a, “chainsaw ripping through a soriority girl” of the III, will have to revisit it.

I'd use it live. But since I only use the III for recording, I opt to use my UAD plugins instead. I'll have to explore it.

Last edited:
That's right. I find that when using Pre-Amp + Room + Air I do not have to waste so much time inside the IR's rabbit hole. It is easy to make most IRs to sound as I want.

Think of a recording studio: they do not have thousands of different cabinets and speakers, but they still get the tone they are seeking.

I agree. I always use it. I like the Tape setting. Massive improvement.

Back
Top Bottom