• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Cab block (negative mic distance values, or manual IR trimming capability)

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
If possible, the ability to go negative on mic distance values, or some other way to slide the waveform start point back towards zero for IRs that were imported with the "no processing" Axe Edit preference. (A manual trim feature to remove silence at the beginning of a non processed IR.)

I hadn't had any problems yet using Axe Edit preference "no processing" on batch importing Redwirez RAW files, or older OwnHammer libraries (the ones with the bagillion vectors, and SS/T1/T2 power amps), they all had maybe ~0.5 ms of space at the front and sound great un-processed.

However, just now I got the latest Ownhammer Recto cab loaded in with "no processing", and with mic spacing at 0.00 mm, the waveform doesn't even start until about 1.75 ms, equivalent to a baseline ~400+ mm mic distance (for an IR trimmed to zero), with no way to scoot it closer back towards zero. With mic spacing maxed it will completely leave the grid.

I tried to re-import using "auto-trim" (with updated Axe Edit 1.0.10), but strangely it didn't remove any of the dead space at the front. I tried updating the import preference, closing Axe Edit, power cycling the unit, and turning everything back on with the updated auto-trim preference selected, but still no luck with removing the extra silence.

It would be handy to have a way to manually trim an IR, and/or the ability to use negative mic distance values if in-the-box IR trimming would not be feasible or practical. (Negative mic distance values might do some cool binaural effects too.)

Edit 18JAN2019: Regarding the IR empty space at the front, both Cab Lab and Axe Edit can auto-trim that off too easy. I wasn't importing correctly so they weren't getting auto-trimmed.

Last edited:

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
Alternately, what about just doubling or tripling the mic distance max, so the offset can cover more of the 3 ms range of the align window, instead?
That would be very nice to have a micro delay with that extended range, but if you're having you go past 5-10 ms to line something up it's getting past the Haas effect to where you'll start to notice it as a delay.

h.c.e.

Veteran
That would be very nice to have a micro delay with that extended range, but if you're having you go past 5-10 ms to line something up it's getting past the Haas effect to where you'll start to notice it as a delay.
To be fair, if you're having to go to 5-10 ms to line something up, you're not even going to see it in the align window anyways ;)

About a 3x increase on the current range to 1030 would push it past the 3ms window of the align tool, which seems like a reasonable enough range to me, but, from what i've seen, even just a 2x increase so we can get into the 600ish mm range should be enough to align to those IRs from OH without having to resort to auto-trim.

pitta

Inspired
Edit 18JAN2019: Regarding the IR empty space at the front, both Cab Lab and Axe Edit can auto-trim that off too easy. I wasn't importing correctly so they weren't getting auto-trimmed.

How did you do that in Axe-Edit? I have the same issue with OH impulses, but I cannot get them auto-trimmed properly with Axe-Edit. I tried with the original 200ms wav as well as an exported syx file. Thanks.

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
How did you do that in Axe-Edit? I have the same issue with OH impulses, but I cannot get them auto-trimmed properly with Axe-Edit. I tried with the original 200ms wav as well as an exported syx file. Thanks.
I didn't have any luck using Axe Edit to auto trim yet, I might have been doing it wrong. One of the FAS software wizards posted something about having to process them, export them, and then re-import them...I haven't dove back into that yet since then.

Using Cab Lab "Wav2Syx" batch process worked very quickly to convert a whole folder of wav files to sysex, which Axe Edit can then eat a lot quicker.

Auto trim (in Cab Lab) gives random results though right now, since the slightest bit of noise will trigger the trim point, they all end up having different start points. Hopefully at some point there will be an option to select a fixed amount of time or samples to remove from the front of an import batch.

pitta

Inspired
I didn't have any luck using Axe Edit to auto trim yet, I might have been doing it wrong. One of the FAS software wizards posted something about having to process them, export them, and then re-import them...I haven't dove back into that yet since then.
Using Cab Lab "Wav2Syx" batch process worked very quickly to convert a whole folder of wav files to sysex, which Axe Edit can then eat a lot quicker.
Auto trim (in Cab Lab) gives random results though right now, since the slightest bit of noise will trigger the trim point, they all end up having different start points. Hopefully at some point there will be an option to select a fixed amount of time or samples to remove from the front of an import batch.
Thanks. Unfortunately, Auto trim in CabLab (only have v2) did not improve anything for me. :(

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
Thanks. Unfortunately, Auto trim in CabLab (only have v2) did not improve anything for me. :(
Sending an IR to the AFX from Cab Lab didn't trim any off the front? I got it to trim doing it that way, the "send to Axe-Fx" button, after I selected the "auto trim" processing on that IR slot.

pitta

Inspired
Sending an IR to the AFX from Cab Lab didn't trim any off the front? I got it to trim doing it that way, the "send to Axe-Fx" button, after I selected the "auto trim" processing on that IR slot.
Unfortunately, CabLab v2 does not support the AxeFX III directly. Therefore, I chose wav2syx, but that did not fix it.
Thanks anyways.

h.c.e.

Veteran
Unfortunately, CabLab v2 does not support the AxeFX III directly. Therefore, I chose wav2syx, but that did not fix it.
Thanks anyways.
You could try installing the free Cab-Lab 3 Lite version, and use it’s Tools -> wav2syx utility.

Can-Lab 3 Lite won’t let you connect to the III hardware either, but checking on it’s auto-trim option on batch wav2syx conversion widget should work (it did in the full version for me the other day, and I wouldn’t expect the Lite version to be any different in that regard), and then you can use Axe-Edit III’s Axe-Manage Cabs (or FractalBot) to transfer the resulting converted and trimmed .syx files to your III.

pitta

Inspired
You could try installing the free Cab-Lab 3 Lite version, and use it’s Tools -> wav2syx utility.

Can-Lab 3 Lite won’t let you connect to the III hardware either, but checking on it’s auto-trim option on batch wav2syx conversion widget should work (it did in the full version for me the other day, and I wouldn’t expect the Lite version to be any different in that regard), and then you can use Axe-Edit III’s Axe-Manage Cabs (or FractalBot) to transfer the resulting converted and trimmed .syx files to your III.
Thanks, will try. Does Cablab 3 lite require iLok?

ProfEmerald

New here
Not usually one to bump an old thread, but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere with regard to this wish.

If you add any smoothing, it bumps the start point of the IR toward zero. Smoothing at .1 isn't really going to have a noticeable impact on the sound of the IR and it allows you to mix it with trimmed IRs in the cab block.

DLC86

Forum Addict
Even before .1
That's what I mentioned in this post :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/non-minimum-phase-irs.146046/page-2#post-1727654
I'd still like to have an explanation, because I don't understand what's going on there, and if there is a difference between this very small processing and mic distance ( which Cliff described in another post as "just delay") .
Maybe when smoothing is active the IR is minimum phase processed, probably cuz it's not possible to apply it correctly to a raw IR.

I assume this is the explanation cuz in Cab-Lab the smoothing knob is not available (greyed out) when minimum phase is not selected.

Top Bottom