CAB block (for a high gain tone): cabs, mics, and tone qualities

Choosing your mic (for a high gain tone)

This isn't a 'what are you using?', but more specifically a 'this is what I'm doing and why' thread.

I haven't tried all the cab types lately, let alone the new ones added in 7.0 (I still have yet to try the VH4....), not LEAST any non-FAS-supplied IRs, but I'm more than ever digging my original CAB blocks since 7.0 .

Or, rather I should say CAB block, for I love the Ultra 30w + R121 mic. The Ultra has so much mids, and in general seems to be the most balanced cab; the R121 adds OOMPH, and further smooths the upper end. I've messed with the cab parameters, and still these are so.

A lot of high gainers seem to like one or the other of the Rectos with the 57 DYN. I could see why for an older metal tone, but for something smooth and creamy while still very gutsy, it fails for me. The 57 DYN seems makes the Recto RW sound pushed back and condensed, along with a 'blow through a blade of grass between your thumbs' sound. The Recto OH has more mids and sounds more forward, but instead of a blade of grass, it's corn shucks rustling.

Some comparisons below:

Getting better:

MMMmmm, yummy:

Last edited:
V30 w/ dyn 112 cab 1

Cab 2 OH ROOM 1 & farfield 1

Low cuts 60-110, high cuts 8000-13000

Ah, I forgot to mention the cuts - which are 100hz and 5k (which I generally put at 8k on other amp patches).

Now the Rectos with the R112, much better. Especially the RW, OOO-LA-LA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom